Cantilever on s197?

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
Has anybody tried to do a cantilever setup on a s197?

Second part of the question is it worth it to move all that unsprung weight?

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i cant imagine how expensive that would be, i think your talking $$$$$ in development alone, then factor in the $$$$$ to make certain components that may not benefit the chassis design.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
That black and green RTR car with the new old style body has one installed. I'd have to have someone prove otherwise but think it looks cool but does little else. Now if someone wants something really cool put a T56 transaxle in a S197 with a torque tube now we're talking.

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
That black and green RTR car with the new old style body has one installed. I'd have to have someone prove otherwise but think it looks cool but does little else. Now if someone wants something really cool put a T56 transaxle in a S197 with a torque tube now we're talking.

Your saying an AWD mustang? or are you talking torque tube like some porsche have?

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
here is the top side of the RTR cantilever set up

Attachments

• hrdp-1202-1969-mustang-slideways-006.jpg
    hrdp-1202-1969-mustang-slideways-006.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 112

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Ah. I've always heard that called pushrod, not cantilever. It adds unsprung weight, and it moves weight up high. So from that perspective, it's a loss. The reason I'd be tempted would be if it was needed for tire clearance that wasn't available otherwise.

KillrStang

Texas Grown
Reaction score
Ah. I've always heard that called pushrod, not cantilever. It adds unsprung weight, and it moves weight up high. So from that perspective, it's a loss. The reason I'd be tempted would be if it was needed for tire clearance that wasn't available otherwise.

I dont believe that is correct... i hope someone can chime in on this. My thought is that since the spring and strut is in the trunk its supporting its own weight, so reducing UNsprung weight. if that makes sense. Yes you are adding curb weight but reduce UNsprung weight

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
I think he's saying torque tube like corvette with the transmission mounted in the back.

Yeah and a LS# motor, you'll never have a power issue again...

As much as I love my mustang those bow ties make some stupid power but I am completely off topic of the OP with that, this is a whole another debate

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
I dont believe that is correct... i hope someone can chime in on this. My thought is that since the spring and strut is in the trunk its supporting its own weight, so reducing UNsprung weight. if that makes sense. Yes you are adding curb weight but reduce UNsprung weight

At first glance you are right because it LOOKS like the pushrod weighs less than the coilover. However, as suspension travels so does the pushrod and so does the rocker arm and so does the coilover so in fact you did add unsprung weight.

That's the way it was explained to me.....I'm not smart enough to argue.

Donny

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
That would be pretty cool.... Porsche actually started that i believe

Actually it was done a lot farther back then that. I know for sure Alfa had it in the late 30's and it was probably around before that. My 1976 Alfa had a transaxle with inboard disc brakes and DeDion rear suspension [kind of a cross between independent and SRA.]

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
There is always some debate on what percentage of some parts are to be considered sprung or unsprung weight. Usually in a push rod setup half the push rod itself is considered unsprung so the shocks and springs in the cantilever setup above would be considered sprung. In a convetional coil over the rod and piston are unsprung the shock body sprung and the coil half and half. With the push rod because of the pivot piece aka rocker the percentage after that pivot is much smaller unsprung and more sprung. Sometimes the advantage of setups like that are in packaging say in a formula car or replacing shock towers with a flat floor. With the RTR setup I think it is mostly because it looks so cool. ;)

Last edited:

Tay

forum member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried to do a cantilever setup on a s197?

Second part of the question is it worth it to move all that unsprung weight?

I have thought about this too. I was thinking something like this
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rpss_fd.html
RPSS-FD_ID.jpg

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Anything that is between the spring and the ground is unsprung. Wheels, axle, and in the case of a pushrod setup, the pushrod and rocker. They can have some advantages, but reduction in unsprung weight generally isn't one of them unless you are talking a very large motion ratio rocker with a small, stiff, short stroke spring and shock (think indycar parts). Outside of something like a 5:1 rocker, with a spring that is 5X as stiff and a shock with 1/5 the stroke, you're going to gain unsprung weight.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
The rear axle weighs a lot and it stays as sprung weight. Considering the relatively small amount of weight that would become unsprung and the complexity involved in designing and building the mounts so that they would not tear out of the body it hardly seems worth it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back