Car has sat over a year

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
So, February 2015, I drove my car home from school I was at and heard a noise coming from the Supercharger, so I parked it. Long story short, I finally got around to getting the S/C looked at, and it is being rebuilt right now. Car has sat since then with almost a full tank for the past year. I know old gas can break down, and I don't want to blow up my engine. I'm gonna change the oil, filter and antifreeze, but what should I do with my gas?

Should I drain it (which will take a while), run it, seafoam it? Any suggestions?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If it sat that long for over a year and especially if it didn't have fuel stabilizer ? I wouldn't take any chances and recommend that you drain the tank..

Last edited:

Windstang

Reaction score
I don't think old gas will cause the engine to blow up. The more likely result will be a poorly running engine because the 'lighter ends' of the gas may not be there to ignite properly. Draining it would be a PITA. If it starts, I'd drive it around for a few hours then refill with fresh gas.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I know that in boosted engines, crappy gas can cause detonation. That was my concern

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea my car has sat since November. I need to drain the gas. Probably lightly introduce it to my other vehicle to use it slowly and fresh for the car

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Ask your tuner if he can write you an 87 octane tune. Load the low octane tune, top off the car with premium and burn off the old fuel. Then refill it with premium again and reload your 93 tune.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Can a siphon tube make it down the filler neck of these cars?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would disconnect the fuel line at the rail or pump, hook up a flexible tube, and supply power to the fuel pump. I have a little harness I built just for this, or you can have a tune written. I pump the old fuel into a can and burn it in my daily, and refill the car with fresh 91.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, but then I'm pushing that old junky fuel through my pump and filter.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think people overestimate the ability of fuel to turn to some kind of sludge. I leave fuel in my car for 6+ months. I have opened the tank and looked in there... it's still fuel. It still smells like fuel. It's probably 100% fine... but I'm paranoid enough to just use it in my truck.

The disclaimer is, none of the 91 I use has any ethanol. Ethanol loves water. Then you've got the problems.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back