CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather Kit for 2002-2015 Mustang GT

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
No problem Rocky.

I really like the PCV/Sealed system. Honest.

Just not with a substantial amount of boost. Ford did not intend to evacuate pressurized crankcases with as much blow by as a boosted car makes, unfortunately.

I actually made a whole new PCV system on one of my cars. I modified the VCs with larger openings and used a larger universal PCV valve, and used all -12 lines and fittings. If I can find a pic, I will try and share it. That was years ago, after my first issues with crankcase pressure on my '96 Mustang.

Kelly ! Just want to follow up about the PCV system you brought up that you made years ago.. Anyway, if your able to locate a pic ? I'd be very interested in taking a look at the design..

In the meantime, thanks once again... Rocky

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a JLT catch can running with my Whipple back when It was non-intercooled and only ~6 lbs of boost. When I upgraded to the intercooled HO setup I notice quite a bit of oil in the manifold so I removed the JLT and went to K&N breathers on each valve cover. That was stinky sometimes and some oil was getting on my valve covers so recently I ordered the little upgrade filter/screen from JLT and put that in and hooked the catch can back up. Well a couple of times when I have gotten into boost since hooking the catch back up I have noticed excessive exhaust smoke. I am pretty sure oil is getting past the can so I have ordered a CFM breather kit and maybe that will help. I will report after I get it in and installed.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had a JLT catch can running with my Whipple back when It was non-intercooled and only ~6 lbs of boost. When I upgraded to the intercooled HO setup I notice quite a bit of oil in the manifold so I removed the JLT and went to K&N breathers on each valve cover. That was stinky sometimes and some oil was getting on my valve covers so recently I ordered the little upgrade filter/screen from JLT and put that in and hooked the catch can back up. Well a couple of times when I have gotten into boost since hooking the catch back up I have noticed excessive exhaust smoke. I am pretty sure oil is getting past the can so I have ordered a CFM breather kit and maybe that will help. I will report after I get it in and installed.

My first catch can I started out with was in fact the JLT.. Despite the upgraded filter/screen, oil was still getting past the PCV connectors, into the intake manifold and also coating my throttle body and air intake tube..

In addition, even when driving under normal driving/non boosted conditions, oil still got past the JLT anyhow.. Although I personally have nothing against the JLT can, it just didn't work out for my particular application..

So I upgraded to the Bob's autosports catch can which IMHO has a much better design over the JLT that includes an upper and lower chamber separated by both stainless steel filter mesh material and SS filter ring..

It also includes a larger diameter 5/8 inch hose that helps condense crankcase oil more efficiently and also discovered the longer run of hose between the catch can and intake manifold has made a difference as well..

After running the Bob's can for 6 months, I haven't noticed any oil getting past the PCV connectors at the intake manifold nor on the throttle body and air intake tube.. Therefore it does appear the Bob's can is indeed working and doing it's job very well..

As for my reason for adding the CFM breather.. I wanted to find a solution for venting the crankcase when under WOT/boosted conditions, but also be fully compatible with the factory PCV system under non-boosted, normal driving conditions as well..

So rather than add valve cover breathers that require disabling the factory PCV system, I decided the CFM breather would provide the best option for my particular application, at least in theory anyhow..

At any rate, I would highly recommend using the CFM breather with a catch can that includes the design features I posted.. If interested, I've provided links for the top 2 catch cans to check out..

In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to your report on how well the CFM breather is working out :beer:

http://shop.bobsautosports.com/2011-14-50-Driver-side-oil-separator-2011-14-50-Driverside.htm

http://shop.bobsautosports.com/2011-14-50-passenger-side-oil-separator-2011-50-oil-separator.htm

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-plug-n-play-catch-can-separator-firewall-11-sc.html

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Here is how much "fluid" that comes from my breather tanks every few months.

12650929_1056798141009234_2343201368538550531_n.jpg

It is primarily water/moisture...with a little bit of fuel, and some oil vapors.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's sure a lot of moisture in just a few months Kelly.. It almost looks like piss to me lol.

Seems as though breather tanks capture more water/moisture over closed catch cans, however catch cans seem to capture more crankcase oil/un-burnt fuel :shrug:

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Initial results with the CFM breather seem favorable. I haven't seen a skeeter killing fog and my exhaust tips were not darkened after a short blast. I will have to note that I emptied my JLT can when I installed the CFM breather and the can was quite full. It was the first time I had checked it since adding the little JLT upgrade screen (I put that in a couple of months ago and haven't driven the Mustang that much with all the rain we've had). I had never seen that much in it. I will keep an eye on it in the future.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Initial results with the CFM breather seem favorable. I haven't seen a skeeter killing fog and my exhaust tips were not darkened after a short blast. I will have to note that I emptied my JLT can when I installed the CFM breather and the can was quite full. It was the first time I had checked it since adding the little JLT upgrade screen (I put that in a couple of months ago and haven't driven the Mustang that much with all the rain we've had). I had never seen that much in it. I will keep an eye on it in the future.

Just bear in mind that any catch can/oil separator can capture oil vapor inside the canister.. But if crankcase oil is still able to get past the PCV connectors at the intake and end up coating your throttle body, air intake tube and into the combustion chamber.. Then IMHO the design of that particular catch can is worthless..

As I mentioned previously, I started out with the JLT oil separator that included the revised filter screen, but yet it didn't make any difference whatsoever for my particular application.. Needless to say, after agreeing to pay a 20% restocking fee, JLT did set up an RMA return to send the can back and issue a refund..

I also provided you with 3 links.. 2 are from Bob's auto sports and the last one is from UPR in which I mentioned offer far better filtering design that not only capture crankcase oil, but also prevent it from getting past the PCV connectors and into the intake manifold to begin with..

That was my reason for making the switch from the JLT to the Bob's oil separator.. As I wanted a catch can that's designed to function for the purpose in which it was intended for in the first place..

With that being said ! If you haven't taken a look at the links I provided, I highly recommend that you take the time to check them out..

In the meantime, I'm glad the CFM breather is working out for you..

Last edited:

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just bear in mind that any catch can/oil separator can capture oil vapor inside the canister.. But if crankcase oil is still able to get past the PCV connectors at the intake and end up coating your throttle body, air intake tube and into the combustion chamber.. Then IMHO the design of that particular catch can is worthless..

As I mentioned previously, I started out with the JLT oil separator that included the revised filter screen, but yet it didn't make any difference whatsoever for my particular application.. Needless to say, after agreeing to pay a 20% restocking fee, JLT did set up an RMA return to send the can back and issue a refund..

I also provided you with 3 links.. 2 are from Bob's auto sports and the last one is from UPR in which I mentioned offer far better filtering design that not only capture crankcase oil, but also prevent it from getting past the PCV connectors and into the intake manifold to begin with..

That was my reason for making the switch from the JLT to the Bob's oil separator.. As I wanted a catch can that's designed to function for the purpose in which it was intended for in the first place..

With that being said ! If you haven't taken a look at the links I provided, I highly recommend that you take the time to check them out..

In the meantime, I'm glad the CFM breather is working out for you..
I have definitely looked at the Bob's setup. But I only see listings for 11+ & GT500.... I think I can make the 11-14 driver side setup work for me. Plan to order when my profit sharing hits in a couple of weeks. My JLT is a little bit customized for compact setup with my Whipple. I see your point about the hose length helping condense the vapors. I had been contemplating a breather/remote can setup for a while, but I think that the CFM with a remote can will be best of both worlds. Here is a pic of my JLT setup:

ESNwN6f.jpg

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have definitely looked at the Bob's setup. But I only see listings for 11+ & GT500.... I think I can make the 11-14 driver side setup work for me. Plan to order when my profit sharing hits in a couple of weeks. My JLT is a little bit customized for compact setup with my Whipple. I see your point about the hose length helping condense the vapors. I had been contemplating a breather/remote can setup for a while, but I think that the CFM with a remote can will be best of both worlds. Here is a pic of my JLT setup:

ESNwN6f.jpg

My car is an 06 and was able to use the 11-14 driver's side can just fine.. All I had to do was mount it to the firewall location at the cowl..

You can always mount it at the strut tower location as well.. Here's some pics of my Bob's setup..

Last edited:

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car is an 06 and was able to use the 11-14 driver's side can just fine.. All I had to do was mount it to the firewall location at the cowl..

You can always mount it at the strut tower location as well.. Here's some pics of my Bob's setup..

Thanks for the pics. I am definitely ordering a Bob's setup.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That new FRPP Separator looks pretty badass.

I just saw it recently and I totally agree Kelly.. My only concern is will it's panel filter be effective enough for keeping crankcase oil from getting past the PCV connector barbs at the intake manifold ?

If it really works ? Then I'll definitely be on board and get one to add as a second oil separator..

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back