changing Kenne Bell oil but got questions

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much oil is in there in the first place, and when im refillnig how much do i put back in.

I already have the redline 50w oil

Thanks

Ron

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
Hey Ron,
I don't know if you found your answer, I lost the maintenance page from my install manual, $%^&* but found this on their website
"What is the maintenance on a Kenne Bell Twin Screw? Virtually none. It's internally lubricated and uses lifetime sealed bearings. We have NEVER seen bearing failure in a billet Twin Screw. Just change the synthetic oil (6 oz.) in the reservoir every 12,000 miles."
I think the dipstick has a oil level mark on it, not sure double check.
Cheers​

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oil

I change mine every 8-10 thousand miles,i race mine.You will only get 1/2 of it out from the oil fill/dipstick hole using a brake bleeder syringe with a little hose on it,or you can undo the drain plug,its a biatch & makes a mess,have alot of rags on hand.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. i was aware of the dipstick, however last time i filled between the lines, when the oil got hot it expands and it was overfilled and leaked out of the pulley bolt, as kb says happens when overfilled. i was looknig for an exact amount and 6oz is it. Thanks

flounderlipps

forum member
Reaction score
I just changed mine the other day.
Kenne Bell says 6oz. but I only got about 4oz. out of it and it was bone dry.
I checked the oil before I sucked it out and it was up to the bottom line.
When you take out the oil put it in a little water bottle and see how much you take out.
Don't just put in 6oz. cause you may over fill it and it will come out the vent hole and get all over your belt.
I used a little ketchup squeeze bottle like you use at a picnic with a piece of clear tube to suck it out.

Attachments

• 310saZBRI7L__SS260_.jpg
    310saZBRI7L__SS260_.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 6

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i used a mityvac. the same thing i used to bleed my clutch. its a handheld vacuum pump. got everything out.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I finally got around to changing my KB oil today. Well, I didn't actually change it... because there was essentially none in there!! :wtf:

There was hardly any on the dipstick at all. So, I took the top and tube off a pump sprayer bottle (which was as thin as the dipstick), and stuck it down there. Again, virtually nothing on the tube. I'm surprised the dam thing even worked. Where the hell did the oil go? I used the pump sprayer to empty what little bit remained.

Anyway, I put 4 oz. back in it, and it filled right up to the midpoint of the lines on the dipstick. I guess I need to monitor this more closely.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There aren't many places for it to go Don.

It will either run out the front shaft seal, case seals, or maybe the rotor seal and into the intake of the motor.

The front shaft seal on my Saleen blower went in August but it was a 1 hour $5.00 repair.

It's easier to spot an oil leak when you have a clean engine compartment.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I've never noticed any oil on the outside of the blower or on the manifold at all. And as much as I've changed pullies the past year, I was looking in that area quite a bit. I'm just going to check the level on a regular basis to see what it's doing.

And I actually did a little cleaning under the hood today... but I didn't go overboard. hahah

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back