adding an oil cooler questions

Jwood562

Reaction score
So, I am curious and interested in adding an oil cooler. 2008 GT full bolt ons and tune, nothing crazy. no autocross, just a weekend fun car

I am adding an oil filter adapter for an oil pressure gauge. it has extra ports and found that people add oil coolers using the existing fittings ports.

Once I dove into oil coolers it opens so many questions, oil size line may cause an increase or decrease in pressure. I have also read if you do have a thermostat controlled switch for the oil cooler it make keep the oil too cold for too long.

I already have the oil filter sandwich plate, Im only looking for the cooler itself and two lines and some fittings. I can piece the stuff together pretty cheap so just wondering if its worth it or not.

input, thoughts, ideas?

GriffX

Reaction score
I have a thought regarding the ECU. The oil and coolant temperatures are calculated from the CHT sensor. No idea what the ECU is doing with this values and how an oil cooler affects this calculation for the oil.

AHaze

Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't do it without some form of thermostatic control and quite honestly, if you aren't ever beating on the car hard for more than 5 minutes straight, I'd suspect there's no real benefit.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I race mine a lot on high speed autox without an oil cooler. I did go with a bigger better radiator though. Plus I'm supercharged making about 600 whp and that makes a lot more heat. I figured I'd add an oil cooler when it needed it. But it doesn't need one. You don't need one either. It will just add complexity and possible issues.
1707274167283.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back