Clutch recommendations

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I'm putting down about 470 hp and had 4.10's. With the 4.10's I'd spin through 2nd gear so I went back to 3.55's. My first attempt at a burnout the car finnally bit but I completely smoked the clutch. I don't want a real heavy clutch or the "on/off" feel. I also want to the chatter. Any recommendations?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
id recommend the Spec Stage 3+. i am currently running this clutch with Spec's aluminum flywheel at aprox 520rwhp at the track and 480 on the street with less timing. the clutch is good to 800ft/lbs of torque. the pedal effort is only slightly stiffer than stock, maybe 5% at best.

a lot of folks also use the centerforce dual friction clutch. Josh at PMP fried the centerforce during a burnout however. it was a lengthy one, aprox 100mph standing still in 4th gear haha, but a 2 month old clutch was fried in the process.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
id recommend the Spec Stage 3+. i am currently running this clutch with Spec's aluminum flywheel at aprox 520rwhp at the track and 480 on the street with less timing. the clutch is good to 800ft/lbs of torque. the pedal effort is only slightly stiffer than stock, maybe 5% at best.
Well, to be fair I am investigating a possible issue with my clutch master, but only "5% "stiffer on the 3+ seems like a big stretch to me...

It is a great clutch, don't get me wrong, but I go back and forth between that car and a "stock" clutch with a saleen blower and the difference is night and day... No chatter, but the engagement is definitely harsher than stock. You get used to it and it is perfectly driveable (not to mention grabs like hell at the track), but it is stiffer...

Spec has a new low pedal effort version of the 3+ though - you might look into that if you prefer the "stock feel" and still want to handle some torque...

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I have the SPEC 2+ in my Saleen, I love it. A little stiffer then stock, but I have since stopped noticing it. It drives well in traffic, great at the track. I had a stage 3 but didn't like the chatter so went to 2+. I am very happy. 506 rwhp and it works good for me.

Geos05GTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I also have have a SPEC 3+ with the LPO (Lower Pedal Option) This is something new they just came out with. The pedal feels completely like the stock. My wife cant even tell the diffrence. BUT it's still ON/OFF it's the stock clutch allows you to feather it a lot more you can still ride this clutch but it just has a much shorter engagement. It's more like Onnnnnn/offffff. The only way to get something that isnt on or off is to get the GT500 clutch 2K just for the clutch or go back with the stock. I've tried four or five other clutchs' and the only one I like is the SPEC 3+ LPO. I'd rather have the GT500 clutch but that's out of my price range.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I have the SPEC 2+ in my Saleen, I love it. A little stiffer then stock, but I have since stopped noticing it. It drives well in traffic, great at the track. I had a stage 3 but didn't like the chatter so went to 2+. I am very happy. 506 rwhp and it works good for me.

How's the engagement? Can you feather it in easily or is more sudden?

Thanks

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
You can feather it some, but once it starts to engage, it is engaged! I killed the stock clutch in no time. I upgraded to to cobra clutch and got one pass, then it was dead, so I was very happy to get a clutch that works. Even when I load the car on the trailer, it is soft enough to allow ease when loading.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ive driven my friends 06 GT and mine back to back and i dotn think the pedal is any stiffer than 5% at best. yes the area of engagement is smaller on the stage 3+ but the effort to push the pedal in isnt much different than thestock clutch.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
My Centerforce has a slightly higher pedal pressure than stock but it holds over 500rwhp without issue. It engages as smooth as stock and there is ZERO chatter. You can dump it if you want or you can feather it without issue. Not to mention you can save some money. You can also run other clutches and/or flywheels since they are designed to stock specifications. I am running it with the Fidanza flywheel and stock 3.55's and I would definately use this exact setup again.

Mick

forum member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting the spec stage 2 with alum.fly wheel. Will the feel be much different than my stock clutch? Is the stage 2 like the stage 3 instant on instant off? Thanks for any advice.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i would get the 2+ if your gonig the spec route. the + series is more streetable

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I got the 2+ with the steel flywheel and its been doing great for me so far.

Geos05GTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Regarless of which SPEC + clutch you get make sure and get the lower pedal pressure option. It's an extra $40 it feels like the stock pedal as far as the pedal pressure but you still have the on/off type setup. You have to ask for this new option as most people dont know about it. I beilve I was one of the first to have it installed and it truly does feel like the stock one.

I am looking at getting the spec stage 2 with alum.fly wheel. Will the feel be much different than my stock clutch? Is the stage 2 like the stage 3 instant on instant off? Thanks for any advice.

A&B 06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I think im going with the stage 2 as well since i asked this question just a short time ago

Geos05GTvert

forum member
Reaction score
The big problem with the SPEC 2 or 2+ is they only hold aprox 600FTQ or something like that.

For the turbo guys were just about at that limit. So if I ever decide to build out a motor I would greatly exceed thier specs.

If you plan on building out a motor you should consider the 3+ but then again if you build out a motor and go with a cobra crank your going to need a new clutch anyway so you would get the 3+ at that time. Just some food for though.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Regarless of which SPEC + clutch you get make sure and get the lower pedal pressure option. It's an extra $40 it feels like the stock pedal as far as the pedal pressure but you still have the on/off type setup. You have to ask for this new option as most people dont know about it. I beilve I was one of the first to have it installed and it truly does feel like the stock one.
I actually like a higher pressuer pedal. feels mean!:flamethr:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I actually like a higher pressuer pedal. feels mean!:flamethr:
me too - though:
a. more stress on the master/slave hydraulics
b. more stress on left leg in bumper-to-bumper
c. grabby engagement is more of a problem - with the 3+ and some time to acclimate, it isn't a big deal, but with the supertwin, I had to leave a fair distance between me and the next car to avoid hitting them as I "launched" from a stop whether I wanted to or not...

A&B 06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Well the only reason why im going with the stage 2 is because when i have enough money for a motor ill need a new clutch at that time.

Does anyone have a special on a clutch right now?

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got the Exedy dual disc clutch & flywheel.It has a heavier pedal for sure & is almost on/off,it is a very aggressive clutch.But at the strip you can ride it out of the hole nicely.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back