Weight reduction, i'm running out of options

moooosestang

Reaction score
I went to weigh the 06 gt today. 3/4 of a tank of gas. It's a little heavier than i thought it'd be. About the only thing i haven't done to reduce weight is the k member. AC is gone, rear seats completely gone, stock seats replaced with corbeau, 1 piece drive shaft, tubular radiator support. I even removed the airbags, not to save weight so much as i wanted an aftermarket steering wheel and nobody rides in the passenger seat. I'd remove the passenger seat if it didn't look so stupid. I know my 305/35r19 rear tires are freaking heavy, but the rims are only 3lbs heavier than the stock 17's. I think the whipple weighs a lot more than i've been told, i also have a larger heat exchanger so more coolant. How else can i gut this pig? I know my splitter/bumper setup is heavier than stock. I want to drop another 100lbs of this thing somehow. Imagine what a whipple on a s550 weighs, yikes! I hear removing the doors saves 160lbs.:yeahright:

heat19.jpg
catstang.jpg catstang1.jpg frontendfriday.jpg

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on how "race car" you want it to look inside.

If you want it to still be a street car...
- Get an Odyssey battery.
- Take out the spare tire.

If your going full race car...
- Take out all the carpet
- Remove rear seats
- Replace glass with Lexan
- Take out a/c system
- Remove center console, radio, speakers, amps, etc.
Take out all interior paneling (door panels, rear quarter panels, headliner, etc.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

moooosestang

Reaction score
Depends on how "race car" you want it to look inside.

If you want it to still be a street car...
- Get an Odyssey battery.
- Take out the spare tire.

If your going full race car...
- Take out all the carpet
- Remove rear seats
- Replace glass with Lexan
- Take out a/c system
- Remove center console, radio, speakers, amps, etc.
Take out all interior paneling (door panels, rear quarter panels, headliner, etc.

I want to remove as much as possible without it looking fugly inside or out. probably going to ditch the door subs and amps. rear seats, spare, a/c are all ready gone. getting rid of another 100lbs is going to be tough without gutting the whole interior.

moooosestang

Reaction score
hmmm, i could dump the exhaust in front of the rear axle. i have mid mufflers. i'm going to have to get creative. i don't want it to sound like shit either though.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Consider; tubular k-member, removal of F/R Bumper supports and door impact bars…

Maybe remove front Sway bar and cut off the mufflers & use pre-axle dumps or Boss 302 style sneaker pipes.

Not sure if they make fiberglass doors or trunk lid?

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Carbon fiber body panels. I know there are fenders, doors, hood and deck lid for your car

edit: looked around, fenders and deck lid can be had under $1k each from trufiber. Hood is gonna vary by manufacturer and design. Found doors from Anderson Composites, they are not cheap, $3300!

Edit #2: Chicane23 has the doors a bit cheaper

Last edited:

Dallas281

Reaction score
Well a few things:
-Seats are 50lbs, *racing* seats will cut 20lbs+ each
-1/8 tank of gas is 14lbs / 108lbs saved
-shaker 1000 , subs+amps =50lbs
-stock mufflers 30lbs, certain ones are like 6-9lbs each so can save 15lbs or so
-stock cats weigh 17lbs
-tubular rad supports save 10lbs, front tubular bumper support saves like 10lbs, rear saves 20lbs but def more sketchy if you drive lots on the street
-stock battery 30lbs, aftermarket saves like 15lbs
-you saved about 20lbs with 1pc driveshaft
-shit in the trunk was 100lbs
-I'd get some lightweight rims to run, can easily save 20lbs+ and its rotating mass. I think stock 18s on tires are 50lbs, my rims and tires are about 40each, which is 40lbs saved
-evap system delete + add a filter for vent is 15lbs saved

Those are the 'big' things without drag brakes and all the minor things that save like 5lbs each

My then-stock 2009 mustang gt with 18s, shaker 1000 weighed in at 3633lbs with a half tank of gas

Your car is farely light for a supercharged s197, considering the gt500 of the same gen was rated at like 3800lbs lol

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Everyone forgets about driver weight reduction. ;) If you're carrying a few spare pounds, losing them will actually save you some money instead of spending it on more food. :gr_grin:
A visit to the toilet before running down the strip wouldn't hurt either. ;)

moooosestang

Reaction score
Everyone forgets about driver weight reduction. ;) If you're carrying a few spare pounds, losing them will actually save you some money instead of spending it on more food. :gr_grin:
A visit to the toilet before running down the strip wouldn't hurt either. ;)

I've weighed 140 since 1993, don't think i can afford to lose any weight. I've removed more weight from the car than that.

Last edited:

moooosestang

Reaction score
Well a few things:
-Seats are 50lbs, *racing* seats will cut 20lbs+ each
-1/8 tank of gas is 14lbs / 108lbs saved
-shaker 1000 , subs+amps =50lbs
-stock mufflers 30lbs, certain ones are like 6-9lbs each so can save 15lbs or so
-stock cats weigh 17lbs
-tubular rad supports save 10lbs, front tubular bumper support saves like 10lbs, rear saves 20lbs but def more sketchy if you drive lots on the street
-stock battery 30lbs, aftermarket saves like 15lbs
-you saved about 20lbs with 1pc driveshaft
-shit in the trunk was 100lbs
-I'd get some lightweight rims to run, can easily save 20lbs+ and its rotating mass. I think stock 18s on tires are 50lbs, my rims and tires are about 40each, which is 40lbs saved
-evap system delete + add a filter for vent is 15lbs saved

Those are the 'big' things without drag brakes and all the minor things that save like 5lbs each

My then-stock 2009 mustang gt with 18s, shaker 1000 weighed in at 3633lbs with a half tank of gas

Your car is farely light for a supercharged s197, considering the gt500 of the same gen was rated at like 3800lbs lol

I've done most of that to lose weight. i can't run 1/8 tank of gas without risking cavitation of the pumps. I might start filling up to just 1/2 tank though since i don't do long trips. I could get rid of the evap system. i didn't even know the rear bumper had a support. my corbeau trailcats shaved about 40lbs. i could have gone to a lighter race seat but my wifes fat ass wouldn't have fit in it.:biggrin: My car has the rear o2's turned off, i wonder if brenspeed turned off the evap crap. If not i'll just wire in a resistor to fool the puter.

Last edited:

Dallas281

Reaction score
Yeah JPC makes bumper supports.

From my list I also have
-qa1 coilovers weigh 10lbs less than stock. No proof but thats what someone who has them told me
-BMR motor mounts weigh 4lbs which is 50% less than the stockers
-16"mishimoto rad fan from summit racing is 7lbs lighter
-lightweight flywheel can save you 5-10lbs (7lbs for me) + aftermarket clutch was 5lbs lighter
-I was told from a guy that had them that he saved 10lbs total from a powerstop z23/26 rotor and pad kit.
-some s197 also have axle weights, no need for them and weight like 5-10lbs

I would def get lighter rims, the stock 17s vs stock 18s weigh about the same, good weigh to cut 20+lbs. Think I mentioned mine weigh like half of what the stockers do with tires on

moooosestang

Reaction score
I would def get lighter rims, the stock 17s vs stock 18s weigh about the same, good weigh to cut 20+lbs. Think I mentioned mine weigh like half of what the stockers do with tires on

No! I love my 19's! I will pull the front and back, see what it weighs compared to the 17's. I bet the difference is only a few lbs. stock 17's with half tread left are 50lbs, my 17x10.5 with mickey thompson 295/45 are 54lbs. Those aftermarket 17's surprised me. 19x11 with 305/35 nitto 555r is 58lbs 6oz, 19x9.5 with 265/40 nitto g2 is 55lbs. So just going back to my 17 inch setup will save me almost 20lbs. Those 19's in the rear aren't that heavy for how freaking big they are.

So what size tires/wheels do you have that weigh only 40lbs? I have powerstop drilled/slotted rotors front and rear by the way. i didn't weigh them compared to stock.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
Enkei PF01 is one of the lightest wheels you'll find.

AHaze

Reaction score
That Whipple must be crazy heavy. I'm 3580 with a Vortech, 4 pot Brembos, GT500 19s and next to no weight removed.

moooosestang

Reaction score
That Whipple must be crazy heavy. I'm 3580 with a Vortech, 4 pot Brembos, GT500 19s and next to no weight removed.
It's a lot heavier than a vortech. you have to figure all the air water intercooler stuff too. was 3580 with a full tank of gas? i know those gt500 19's are heavy.

Last edited:

AHaze

Reaction score
It's a lot heavier than a vortech. you have to figure all the air water intercooler stuff too. was 3580 with a full tank of gas? i know those gt500 19's are heavy.
3580 was with 3/4 tank. I have an air to water CAC as well but it's certainly smaller than what you're running.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think you are that bad. I have Roush Phs 3, lightweight batt, lightweight rad support, no front crash beam, no cats (race only usage), no rear seats/belts (very light cardboard rear seat delete, covered in thin black fabric), no spare/jack, no trunk carpet, light chinese 18" bullits and I'm at this.

I am base trim, GT auto, BTW.

20210706_055646.jpg

MrBhp

Reaction score
When I swapped my factory bullit set up for the drag set up, we weighed in 107 lbs lighter. I ran 16x9 rears with small dot slicks and skinnies up front. Made such a tremendous difference in the car.

moooosestang

Reaction score
I don't think you are that bad. I have Roush Phs 3, lightweight batt, lightweight rad support, no front crash beam, no cats (race only usage), no rear seats/belts (very light cardboard rear seat delete, covered in thin black fabric), no spare/jack, no trunk carpet, light chinese 18" bullits and I'm at this.

I am base trim, GT auto, BTW.

20210706_055646.jpg

Time to yank out that A/C! I only deleted my ac because it had been leaking for years. smashed the condenser and whipple heat exchanger into a tree stump at like 2mph. I almost never used it though.

moooosestang

Reaction score
I ordered some turn down pipes to see how it sounds. I'm curious to weigh my big 4 inch tips along with the over axle pipes, the tips are like 20 inches long. i'll delete the evap crap as well, i don't have inspections. I've removed my front sway bar before, not going to drive without it again, nope! Those flaps in front of the gas tank on both sides look like they are mounted to pretty sturdy steel. i'll remove one to weigh it, see if it's worth the effort. I'm going to nickle and dime this thing to 3400lbs. i see lmr has some sve race wheels that only weigh 17lbs each. My goal is 3380 with 1/4-1/2 tank of gas, so 3520 with me in it. i need to lose about 80lbs more.

I might do a california special front bumper. does anyone know what one weighs? my front bumper setup has to add 20lbs over a stock bumper.

I think a 17lb braille battery is in my future, that's 21lbs right there, assuming it can crank my car from the trunk.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back