Comcast users...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Comcast sucks.
Shh, they will hear you...

On the bright side in many areas there is competition in the market, so you can go with comcast, comcast, or even comcast for a cable modem...

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Comcast sucks.

In the address bar, type in 192.168.100.1 This should bring up your modem status. If you have a tab that says "signal" click on it and tell me what the downstream Signal to Noise Ratio, Power Level readings are, and under the upstream tell me what the power level is.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
About Your Modem
This page provides the basic information about your cable modem.
Name
WebSTAR DPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number
202812XXX
Cable Modem MAC Address
00:14:f7:cc:fa:f0
Hardware Version
Software Version
v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level
0.9 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
53.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational

I get this when I click on signal:
This feature is not enabled.
This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
About Your Modem
This page provides the basic information about your cable modem.
Name
WebSTAR DPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number
202812XXX
Cable Modem MAC Address
00:14:f7:cc:fa:f0
Hardware Version
Software Version
v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level
0.9 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
53.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational

I get this when I click on signal:
This feature is not enabled.
This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

Though there is no signal-to-noise-ratio (mine lists that on the same page as that sort of information, that looks like a pretty nice (high) downstream power number (for example, mine is -12dBm) - so I sorta doubt its "noise" causing your issues.

They differ accoring to brand, but mine also has a "logs" page.

I see lots of housekeeping things that look like minor misconfigurations on comcast's part that don't really matter... See anything fun there?

The fact that you got so far into the traceroute tells me it was something outside your house - there was some server in the path that did not want to let packets get back to you... So, messing with your modem is likely a wild goose chase...

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Receive Power Level
0.9 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
53.0 dBmV

The receive power level is great 0.9dbmv
The transmit power level 53.0 dbmv is just a little high. You want to be around 45 to 50. It would be better to run a cable straight from the modem to the side of the house if you can. The more splitters that are installed, it will cause the
Transmit Power Level to go up and the Receive Power Level to go down. If you can't run a cable, you'll have to play with the signals by changing the cable connections around on the splitters feeding the modem. Are you using any Radio Shack splitters or even cheap splitter? They also cause a lot of problems. If you can draw a picture of how your cable wires run and if the connect to any splitters. Now on the splitters, certain legs lose a certain amount of signal, I need that info too. Like a two splitter will normally lose 3.5 dbmv, a three way splitter one leg is 3.5dbmv and the other two legs will lose 7dbmv. It should be written on the splitters.
Well, got to run and go to work (Cable Company) not for Comcast.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back