"Compound Boosting" IC Water Pumps Question(s)

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What are you using for a flow meter. I'm going to redo my system over the winter and would like to do some measurements.

Thanks for listing the results of your tests.

Here is the link for the engineering toolbox pics. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pumps-parallel-serial-d_636.html

pt 1 is one pump, pt 2 is two pumps (theoretical), pt 3 is two pumps (typical results)

DOB, if you look at the above data / link, for 2 pumps in series, you will see that the typ flow rate is point 3 (typ results)...which appears to be aprx 55-60% greater than a single pump.

You have already proved that with your 2 Bosch pumps in series (where you increased flow rate by 57%). I'm damn sure you can safely assume that 2 x 13/14 GT-500 pumps will increase flow rate by the same 55-60%.

2 x 13/14 GT-500 pumps = $600.00 That's only $50.00 more than the lingenfelter pump. Plus you may well end up with a redundant pump setup, that offer's further options, like shutting 1 pump off when not required, etc. With 13- 14.5 vdc...they would be 100% reliable.

How reliable is the Lingenfelter, re-programmed pump ?? It has had it's internal vdc cranked way up, and also the current limit has been increased to ~ 25 amps. It appears that they have overspun the oem stewart pump by cranking up the vdc. Is the re-programmed pump going to last for years to come, or will the massive current increase in the windings prematurely cook the electric motor?

It would be most interesting to see what happens if say a 20/40A BAP were used to increase the Bosch / 13-14 GT-500 pump vdc from the typ 13.5-14.5 ...up to 17 vdc. If 17vdc is too much, pretty easy to get it down to 13-16 vdc range.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
D
I'm damn sure you can safely assume that 2 x 13/14 GT-500 pumps will increase flow rate by the same 55-60%.
Probably.

2 x 13/14 GT-500 pumps = $600.00 That's only $50.00 more than the lingenfelter pump.
True. But if they don't outflow the LPE pump then it's a bad buy.

And with the LPE pump you can use it in the future on a bigger system like we have coming out. There is no way the 13' GT500x2 combo will move 20-26gpm.

Plus you may well end up with a redundant pump setup, that offer's further options, like shutting 1 pump off when not required, etc.
I don't see why you would ever want to do this.

How reliable is the Lingenfelter, re-programmed pump ?? It has had it's internal vdc cranked way up, and also the current limit has been increased to ~ 25 amps. It appears that they have overspun the oem stewart pump by cranking up the vdc. Is the re-programmed pump going to last for years to come, or will the massive current increase in the windings prematurely cook the electric motor?
I don't know. But that pump was designed for city buses I think. I have to imagine the service interval on them is MASSIVE. Not 100K miles, more like 500K or maybe even a 1M. Even if you reduce the pump life by 75% you will still have a pump that runs forever.

It would be most interesting to see what happens if say a 20/40A BAP were used to increase the Bosch / 13-14 GT-500 pump vdc from the typ 13.5-14.5 ...up to 17 vdc. If 17vdc is too much, pretty easy to get it down to 13-16 vdc range.
The Bosch has a tiny impeller compared to the LPE. My off the cuff guess is that over-spinning the Bosch pumps won't net much for results. And even if the Bosch picked up the same the LPE does when over-spun (25%) you are not looking at a huge improvement out of the Bosch.

-Single Bosch 6.375gpm

-Double Bosch A2M 10gpm

And that is assuming spinning them faster will net results. Now add the price of the second pump and a BAP. What sort of money are we talking about now?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Nice. I may pair it with my new system instead of running the twin GT500 pumps.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Do you have an update on the replacement GT500 intercooler with larger openings and TR6060 shifter? I am ready to buy both. Just wondering as fall is 14 days away.

The HE will be ready this winter. It has to come with the tank/pump too. It's a pretty tough nut to crack. 10lb of shit in a 5lb bucket.

The shifter will probably never happen. We decided we don't want to get into the bitchy world of shifters.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The HE will be ready this winter. It has to come with the tank/pump too. It's a pretty tough nut to crack. 10lb of shit in a 5lb bucket.

The shifter will probably never happen. We decided we don't want to get into the bitchy world of shifters.

If you want to make me a shifter I will pay for your time.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
My IATs were crazy high. It's the KB lol...
I would say it probably went into the 180s and it would pull timing. So bad that you could feel the car get slower driving it around.

After the tank and using ice, or using water that was already super cold from the previous runs, IIRC, it was 20 above ambient or so.

It's been so long and my tranny has been out of race condition for so long I do not recall exactly what three numbers are. Sorry...I will have it on the dyno some time in October. I should have some better info for you then.

What can tell you is what I said above. 4 mph and.4 with a simple asdrition of a tank with some ice seemed like it was worth it. I think it cost around $260.

And I have never ran the second tank without two pumps.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
My IATs were crazy high. It's the KB lol...
I would say it probably went into the 180s and it would pull timing. So bad that you could feel the car get slower driving it around.

After the tank and using ice, or using water that was already super cold from the previous runs, IIRC, it was 20 above ambient or so.

It's been so long and my tranny has been out of race condition for so long I do not recall exactly what three numbers are. Sorry...I will have it on the dyno some time in October. I should have some better info for you then.

What can tell you is what I said above. 4 mph and.4 with a simple asdrition of a tank with some ice seemed like it was worth it. I think it cost around $260.

And I have never ran the second tank without two pumps.

A KB has never run at 20deg above ambient at the end of the run!:roflmao:

I had a KB. I knowith what ith I speak.:biggrin:

Back