Convertible Top Color Change

Discussion in 'Keeping it Clean' started by Rich, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich Member

I have a 07 convertible with 31k on the clock and I want to change the color of the tan top to black. The top is flawless so I don't want to trash it and buy a new one. So far I've tried Forever Black Dye with no luck. The dye wouldn't adhere to the top very well. I have a few cans of Dupli-Color Vinyl paint and am considering that route. I would appreciate any info from those who have done this successfully and what their experience was like :)

2. JJDAG

JJDAG forum member

The trouble with trying to dye a convertible top is the flexing when you operate the top, whatever you put on it will crack and peal and look like crap. I get not wanting to drop the cash on a new top but your car sounds like it’s worth it if you want it to look the best.

3. Rich

Rich Member

I bought 4 cans of the Dupli-Color vinyl and fabric paint. I prepped the surface really well and put down 4 coats. It turned out well and I've had the top up and down several times since I painted it and no cracking yet. If I can get it to last a year before recoating then it's worth it. My only concern is if it will hold up during a rainstorm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.