Cooling Fan Issues

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Have any of you had issues with your cooling fan not functioning correctly – to be more specific, the low speed fan not working?
I’m not absolutely sure, but I think the low speed fan is not coming on. When the fan finally does come on, it seems to come on at about the same speed (volume of air) as when the A/C is on, which is only the high speed fan. That is what leads me to believe the low speed fan is not working. I do not have an overheating issue nor have I datalogged the fans.
I looked at the wiring schematic for the cooling fans and it seems fairly simple. There are a couple of fuses, low and high speed relays and the fan motor. The relays are controlled by the PCM.
I also know that Ford has changed the part number on the fan/shroud assembly since 2005. The new part number is 7R3Z-8C607-A.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i have the same issue. i just let it run on high all the time. I wasnt even aware of the issue until Josh and Kevin noticed it. I just set the fan to run on High in the tune at 180 so the low rarely would even be used at all

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Hawgman had an issue. Perhaps he will chime in.

Sure would like to know why Ford updated the fan.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to look at the tune and see what my fans are set at, probably stock settings. I notice when my temp hits 220*, it drops about 30* real quick. Would there be a problem just having the fan run at 180* all the time?

Sorry for the hijack tmcolegr.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Hawgman had an issue. Perhaps he will chime in.

Sure would like to know why Ford updated the fan.

Nope, never had (or at least never noticed) a cooling fan issue.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
cool ill look at it

got a part number by any chance?

and it was post 11, not 18

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just wired mine to be on high all the time when the key is turned.

Too many other things to worry about to add the fans to the list. I just made it a no brainer.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I asked Adam to do the same thing on my tunes this time also. I can't see any downside by having my fan run whenever the engine is running.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Too many other things to worry about to add the fans to the list. I just made it a no brainer.
any write up on how to do this? ny low speed fan relay fried and would not allow the high speed to kick on, unless I turned on the AC so I replacd the relay and all is ok... but would like to have a switch to operate the high speed fan.

don_w

Reaction score
any write up on how to do this? ny low speed fan relay fried and would not allow the high speed to kick on, unless I turned on the AC so I replacd the relay and all is ok... but would like to have a switch to operate the high speed fan.
If you just want a manual switch, you could do it like I did. Run a wire from the relay in the fuse box to one side of a switch, and just ground the other side of the switch.

DSC06455.JPG

DSC06457.JPG

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Don. Does the switch work with the key off? And I would assume it has not impact on the fan being turned on automatically by the PCM while the car is running, right?

don_w

Reaction score
Thanks Don. Does the switch work with the key off? And I would assume it has not impact on the fan being turned on automatically by the PCM while the car is running, right?
Yes, I think so (it's been 9 months since I used it). And no it doesn't.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Today I found out some interesting information from my local Ford
source. In 2007 Ford introduced a "increased capacity cooling fan" for the
GT 500s. Probably part of the larger front fascia opening, larger radiator
& heat extractor hood package. That same fan was also introduced on the
mid year production 2007 4.6L cars and is now std. equipment on all 4.6L &5.4L S197s. If you order a replacement fan/shroud assembly, the part# is
automatically superseded by the new fan/shroud part#.

I purchased one of these new fan/shroud assemblies for my 2005 GT as the low speed fan failed. The part # is 7R3Z-8C607-A. List price was $375, but with my discount I picked one up for $240. Don't know what difference, if any, the new fan will make on cooling system temps or more importantly AITs, but I thought I would share this information.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Today I found out some interesting information from my local Ford
source. In 2007 Ford introduced a "increased capacity cooling fan" for the
GT 500s. Probably part of the larger front fascia opening, larger radiator
& heat extractor hood package. That same fan was also introduced on the
mid year production 2007 4.6L cars and is now std. equipment on all 4.6L &5.4L S197s. If you order a replacement fan/shroud assembly, the part# is
automatically superseded by the new fan/shroud part#.

I purchased one of these new fan/shroud assemblies for my 2005 GT as the low speed fan failed. The part # is 7R3Z-8C607-A. List price was $375, but with my discount I picked one up for $240. Don't know what difference, if any, the new fan will make on cooling system temps or more importantly AITs, but I thought I would share this information.

After you get it installed let us know if it lowered your cooling or IAT temps.

TIA

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In Dons' pics the relay with the jumper is the low speed relay. The low speed relay goes through a resistor before going to the fan. If you run too long on low speed you will overheat the resistor and burn it. If you use the jumper on the relay to the left of it it will jump the high speed fan.
If you just want a manual switch, you could do it like I did. Run a wire from the relay in the fuse box to one side of a switch, and just ground the other side of the switch.

DSC06455.JPG

DSC06457.JPG

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good inputs Don and Peter, thank you. I checked my tune today to adjust my fans, but JDM only allows adjustment of Tire Revs and Gear ratio. :hammer: I was hoping I could have my fans turn on at a lower temp.

Don, do you remember how you wired your fans to be on all the time while the car is running? And hopefully explained on a 2nd grade level...like with crayons. :thumb:

don_w

Reaction score
In Dons' pics the relay with the jumper is the low speed relay. The low speed relay goes through a resistor before going to the fan. If you run too long on low speed you will overheat the resistor and burn it. If you use the rejumper on the relay to the left of it it will jump the high speed fan.
I didn't know that. Are the two relays the same? Can I just switch there locations in the box?

Don, do you remember how you wired your fans to be on all the time while the car is running? And hopefully explained on a 2nd grade level...like with crayons. :thumb:
Ummm... it isn't wired that way at all. If I flip the switch the fan turns on, but with the switch off it is controlled by the tune. I have however, asked Adam to set the tune so that it stays on all the time from now on.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oops, thought it was you, sorry. It was Mark.

How about it Mark, any info on wiring this up?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back