Coyote engine removal tips

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
I always love these helpful responses...here's what I did with a car that's not your car, with a different engine and a different clutch config....HTH!
Actually, that as the OP, that is my car. It was a point of comparison.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
Can anyone else shed any light on pulling a coyote in garage no lift. Cherry picker? Seperate trans or pull together? Can you drop out of bottom? If so would a cherry picker get from of csr up high enough to clear motor?

stretch

forum member
Reaction score
I pulled mine in my driveway. I separated my auto and came out the top with engine hoist, hood on, manifolds on too.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
So what Stretch is saying is drop your car off at his house and he'll do it for you.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking about buying stretchs engine Lol. I got a question too. I have a manual, is it easier to pull the engine with the trans or just leave the trans in.

Need4Speed12

forum member
Reaction score
I pulled mine out the top (motor only)...wasnt as bad as I expected. I used an engine hoist and an engine leveler that I got from Pep Boys.

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
It can be pulled from the top with the trans still attached, I did my 5.4 just like 19cobra, only difference was I left my supercharger on.

For my experience, I put the rear axle on jack stands for an easier time getting the tail of the trans out. (Face down, ass up.)

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
How long did it take you guys doing this from start to finish for removal? Start to finish for install?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
How long did it take you guys doing this from start to finish for removal? Start to finish for install?

Depends on what you're considering start to finish. I can have a coyote out and on an engine stand in about an hour and a half. There are a lot of variables though. Supercharger, longtubes, or any other addition that may add time to the project.

Every motor I've ever pulled (which is countless), has always been pulled out the top with the trans attached.

Fishstyx

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're considering start to finish. I can have a coyote out and on an engine stand in about an hour and a half. There are a lot of variables though. Supercharger, longtubes, or any other addition that may add time to the project.

Every motor I've ever pulled (which is countless), has always been pulled out the top with the trans attached.

Wow, that's amazing. As you can see here that knowledge is worth something. I, for one, would pay handsomely for a video tutorial of how an expert accomplishes that feat.

So, how much do long-tubes complicate the process?
I assume you are removing the radiator.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Wow, that's amazing. As you can see here that knowledge is worth something. I, for one, would pay handsomely for a video tutorial of how an expert accomplishes that feat.

Dimora style........please. lol.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score

Long tubes add time. They get hung up on the kmember and everything else close to them. On my 5.4L I was still able to pull the whole assembly out with them attached, but I had to loosen the Kmember a bit, and spend a fair amount of time wiggling, and up and down with the hoist before I can get it to lift out freely.

I've never had to remove the radiator to get the motor out. Fan yes, but radiator no. It would be easier sure, but just more work, and really not necessary.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

I was going to same the same thing. I am not a pro tech by any means, but I was able to have my engine out of the car in 1.5 hours pulling it out the bottom. I was shocked at how easy it was. But, I had a buddy with a lift who let me use his two-post.

There are a lot of "do it yourself" shops that rent garage bays out by the day and there are lifts in them. If you don't have a lift, I would recommend spending the few buck to go to one of these shops.

G.T

Reaction score
i always like dropping it from the bottom complete with the headers, trans, etc..
it's much easier that way especially with supercharged engines.

although without a lift, you'll definitely wanna pull it up the top with a crane.
if you have a crane and a load leveller, you should be able to remove it even with the hood on! just a matter of comfort and experience really.

here's one we removed yesterday https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151670786157115

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back