Custom Black Mesh Grille

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
Tools needed, can be found at Lowes:
Lath Diamond Mesh - $8.44
Black 16 Ga Tie Wire - $4.13
A Dremel with 3-4 extra plastic cutting blades.
3m Adhesive Promoter
Krylon Gloss Black Spray Paint.
Powerdrill with a 1/4 in" drill bit
Needle Nose Plyers.
LOTS of TEQUILLA!!!

Ok, so we have already relocated our fog lights......now it's time to do something very nerve wrecking to your perfectly fine grill:

DSC_0108.jpg

Your going to grab it up, slam a couple of shots of tequilla and start tearing it apart with your dremel. At this moment RIGHT here.........I'm not going to lie, I panicked......I honestly thought I was in over my head and just ruined a perfectly good grille.

DSC_0118.jpg

Finally after taking back a couple of more shots of liquid courage, I muscled through with my project. Quite some time later, it started to look alot better. I cannot stress how important it is to take your time, the dremel can be pretty unforgiven with one slip up......also this goes without saying. WEAR EYE PRO. I would have no doubt lost both eyes from all of the plastic flying around if I hadnt.

DSC_0123.jpg

With patience and handy work with your dremel, you can easly get inside of all the nooks and crannies and sand out the places where the honeycomb was raised, to give it a flatter appearace:

DSC_0124.jpg

Take a couple of victory shots, and move forward to your next project. Next your going to grab up your diamond mesh (CAREFULLY!! This stuff WILL cut up your hands!!)

DSC_0119.jpg

Spray both the mesh and your grille down with the adhesive promoter. I used about 4 coats........hit it with some primer.......more adhesive promoter......your gloss black krylon and then some clear. Focuse more so on the mesh than your grille.......it will have to be repainted soon.

If you have made it to this point, your pretty good with a dremel. So Your just going to have to figure out how to cut the mesh. I started with one big piece and slowly cut it to the size of the grille.

Once you have it cut so that it will fit snuggly inside the grille, your going to grab up your drill, needlenose plyers and your 16 ga wire.

DSC_0126.jpg

I started in the middle and worked my way out. Carefully aligning the grille with the mesh. Drilling two holes approximatly a 1/4" apart and ran my wire through it.

DSC_0127.jpg

When it came through the other side, I twisted it off and cut it small enough that it was not noticeable.

DSC_0128.jpg

I opted to have the tie off on the INSIDE due to the fact that the wire is sharp and I didnt want to scratch my bumper installing or removing in the future. This is up to you.....I would advise on the inside.....it seriously is not noticeable.

All together I had 10 anchor points.....5 on top and 5 on the bottom.
You will notice that the mesh may/may not have scratched up your grille....if it did, simply hit the spots with more adhesive promoter, and gloss black.

Finally, pop the grille back in your car, come down from the tequilla, and go out and show of your brand new.....custom grille.

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

Side note; if your thinking about painting your old pony grabber orange and mounting it on the lower right hand side of your grille........I came up with the idea first!!!

I'm simply trying to find the MOST convient way to mount the pont on there.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Its time to paint all the GO tabs and hood support black ... Looks like an old guy smiling with no teeth

Other than that nicely done

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea! The process was very straight forward until the three quarters bottle of Patron set in..:beerchug2:

Attachments

• 116_0318.jpg
    116_0318.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 116_0320.jpg
    116_0320.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 197

BROK3N

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
If I followed your instructions, I would be trashed by the end of the project.

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Post some more pics once you paint the core support and stuff black. I want to like it, but I'm not quite there yet...

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Agree with above post. Need a better mesh. I bought some from a metals supplier. Much thicker, like the stuff you get on a lot of aftermarket bumpers.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
My core is painted satin black and the mesh was ordered through a aftermarket supplier bumpers and things of this nature.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
The mesh that I used looks very similar to the OP's but a little thicker. I think I could hit a bird or something fairly small and the grill would survive as long as the plastic it is attached to didn't give way.

Attachments

• 116_0319.jpg
    116_0319.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 214

Rez

Reaction score
The mesh that I used looks very similar to the OP's but a little thicker. I think I could hit a bird or something fairly small and the grill would survive as long as the plastic it is attached to didn't give way.

That looks good man...nicely done.

NeoTokyo

forum member
Reaction score
Its time to paint all the GO tabs and hood support black ... Looks like an old guy smiling with no teeth

Other than that nicely done

First thing I thought too, not the old man thing but painting it all black. :)

20TENGT

Reaction score

What is this mesh called and where did you order it from?

Thanks

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back