O2 sensor wiring harness damaged

IsaiahAlbert

Reaction score
Recently bought an 05 with the 4.0 and a 5 speed. When i got it it had codes for all 4 o2 sensor heater circuits, evap purge and vent control circuit, and egr circuit open. Found that the fuse #47 for the o2 sensor heaters and evap system was blown. I put a new fuse in and it blew as soon as I turned the key on. Started checking the o2 sensor wiring under the car and got to the upstream sensor on the drivers side. started feeling where the wiring went and it stopped at the transmission bellhousing. Found that 2 of the wires for the sensor were already cut through and the other two were still stuck in between the engine and transmission. The other 2 wires broke off by just pulling on it a bit. The wires were pinched about 3 inches back from the connector. Found further up the bellhousing right in the middle of the transmission part of the harness went in. the wiring was already damaged so i just cut it to pull the harness up. after pulling the harness basically almost all the way out i found that there were 9 cut wires. 2 yellow wires and a red with a black stripe match up with the end of the connector that is cut. the other 6 wires are red with a yellow stripe, which is the 12v power supply for the o2 sensor heaters, egr module and the evap system. 3 of them are coming out of the main harness and 3 of them go to 3 different 02 sensors.

What im getting stuck on is how to reconnect the red/yellow wires. I can just make an extension for the 02 sensor and connect it that way but it looks like there was a separate part of the harness that held the o2 sensor wires and whatever those red/yellow wires go to. I dont think that theres any other sensor that they could go to except one of the wires will need to go to the o2 sensor.

Is there anyone whos worked on that section of the harness and know how everything is supposed to go? Or possibly that has one they could look at the check. Sorry for writing a whole essay on here but i wanted to explain it all in one post. Thanks for any responses, excited to finally get the car driving right again

DieHarder

Reaction score
Not worked on that part of the harness but the online manual is your friend.

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Electronic Engine Controls - 4.0L.pdf&p=4

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Component Location Views.pdf&p=3

Appears you've got most of them ID'd. Just need to chase each one to verify location/ position. If you've got a DVOM trace/verify continuity by wire position according to the manual and connector. Highly recommend removing the trans to get access to that part of the harness. Will likely be difficult if not impossible to fix otherwise. Good luck.

Derby

Reaction score
I just pulled the same powerplant out of my son's car. The harness is intact. I can take a few photos if that would help.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back