Damn Saleen Supercharger!

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't believe that I'm actually contemplating this. IMO, a couple days ago it was "N/A...N/A". Yesterday it was "Nitrous...Nitrous". Then after a talk with President Doc, I've really been thinking hard about a Saleen Supercharger. IMO, 169 Stang has one listed in the classifieds for $3900. Then of course I was speaking with Doc toward his as well. The funny thing is I'll actually have the money for it in a couple weeks...and it's very tempting! I'll have to account for new tunes, gauges, and who knows what else! I want to keep it as cheap as possible as well but want 400 or so to the ground. Thats it! No more! None! Zilch! Okay maybe 400-425 or so, but really, no more! I want to SAFELY stay in my limits of the stock block, rods, etc.

If possible, I'd like to get some input from y'all regarding the little ol' Saleen 2.3L SC. I don't even know where to start, well yeah I do...Here's what I'm thinking...

- Saleen 2.3L S/C
- Saleen 4.0, 3.4, 3.2 Pulleys (Included, but I think I'ma want 3.8-3.6)
- Belts (I'm not sure if separate belts are needed for each pulley)
- C&L 95mm Intake
- Lightning MAF w/ MAF Adapter
- GT500 TB w/ Spacer (IMO, I might as well throw this on if I can find one used...I'm contradicting myself though!)
- Autolite HT0 Spark Plugs
- 39lb Fuel Injectors
- GT500 Dual Fuel Pumps (Only if it's needed and I exceed the stockers, then again it depends on the pulley as well)

I think thats about it. Is there anything else thats absolutely NEEDED?

I'm also gonna want some gauges. I think Roper still has his SOS dual a-pillar, but I really want the triple just for that extra gauge...money! But, What gauges are truly needed? Boost and A/F? Any other ones that I absolutely really really need? If not I can get Roper's A-pillar!

From there I already have the suspension and plenty of traction. Anything else? Any comments or suggestions?

This is something I'm seriously considering right now and I really want to become more knowledgeable about the matter over the next couple weeks so I can come down to a decision.

Damn that was long!

- Justin

Last edited:

matt texass

Reaction score
every one always says they only want 400...... but it always ends up with more than that........ Alot of people are having alot of luck with the saleen s/c one of the guys on here, clay, his car pulls great it looks like you have everything you need covered in your list I would go ahead and get the gt500 pumps and be done with it.I say get boosted if you can afford it you'll love it. Good luck with your decision making.

Last edited:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
every one always says they only want 400...... but it always ends up with more than that........ I say get boosted if you can afford it you'll love it. Good luck with your decision making.

Yeah, but I can't afford to replace EVERYTHING if I exceed the limits of my motor! So, I need to keep it at or around 400.

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
every one always says they only want 400...... but it always ends up with more than that........ Alot of people are having alot of luck with the saleen s/c one of the guys on here, clay, his car pulls great it looks like you have everything you need covered in your list I would go ahead and get the gt500 pumps and be done with it.I say get boosted if you can afford it you'll love it. Good luck with your decision making.
+1 me too.

I give you 2 months of running 6-8# of boost before you buy the 10# pulley. Everyone does it =)

Proof: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2160&highlight=pulley

matt texass

Reaction score
i dont know of anybody thats blown up at 8#'s (correct me if im wrong) that seems pretty safe with a good tune. but i mean its all up to you but those thoughts of going bigger and better will always creep into your mind.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i dont know of anybody thats blown up at 8#'s (correct me if im wrong) that seems pretty safe with a good tune. but i mean its all up to you but those thoughts of going bigger and better will always creep into your mind.

Damn you...LoL!

matt texass

Reaction score
i think a/f, boost and fuel pressure would be good gauges to have

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i think a/f, boost and fuel pressure would be good gauges to have

Thats good. Thats what I was thinking, but wouldn't boost and a/f be the top two? IMO, I'd really like to help out Roper with his dual pillar.

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What gauges do you run?
I started in the exact same place you are man. I'll give you a mod list so you can get some ideas. My list is after *extensive* research, and I think I've picked the best parts available. I ordered almost all my mods through PMP. They are a great outfit to use for top notch customer service and low prices.

: ENGINE :
Saleen Series VI Supercharger w/ 3.4" Pulley (10#)
XCalibrator 2 tuned by JDM (93 octane)
Polyurethane Motor Mounts
Meziere Electric Water Pump (ordering soon)

: FUEL :
Dual GT500 Fuel System
39 LB. Injectors
FRPP Spark Plugs

: INTAKE & EXHAUST :
American Racing Long Tube Headers + catless H pipe
Magnaflow Axlebacks (Stock Saleen part)
90mm Lightning Mass Air Flow Sensor
C&L "Racer" Intake
JDM Cold Air Kit

: DRIVETRAIN :
Driveshaft Shop 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
MGW Short Shifter
FRPP 3.73 Gears

: SUSPENSION :
Racecraft Shocks & Struts (Stock Saleen part)
Racecraft Springs (Stock Saleen part)
Racecraft Swaybars (Stock Saleen part)
LPW Differential Support Cover
CHE Axle Brace
CHE K-Member Support w/ Torque Limiters
CHE Driveshaft Loop
CHE Adjustable Upper Control Arm
CHE Fixed Lower Control Arms
CHE LCA Relocation Brackets
CHE Adjustable Panhard Bar
CHE Panhard Bar Brace

: GAUGES :
SOS Pillar Pod
Innovate XD-16 Wideband Gague w/ LC-1
AutoMeter Lunar Mechanical Vac/Boost Gague
AutoMeter Lunar Electrical Fuel Pressure Gague
Raptor Shift Light (Green)

: MISC :
PMP Line Lock kit
Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials 275/40/17 (Track)
17" OEM Anthracite Bullitt Wheels (Track)

Last edited:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I started in the exact same place you are man. I'll give you a mod list so you can get some ideas. My list is after *extensive* research, and I think I've picked the best parts available. I ordered almost all my mods through PMP. They are a great outfit to use for top notch customer service and low prices.

: ENGINE :
Saleen Series VI Supercharger w/ 3.4" Pulley (10#)
XCalibrator 2 tuned by JDM (93 octane)
Polyurethane Motor Mounts
Meziere Electric Water Pump (ordering soon)

: FUEL :
Dual GT500 Fuel System
39 LB. Injectors
FRPP Spark Plugs

: INTAKE & EXHAUST :
American Racing Long Tube Headers + catless H pipe
Magnaflow Axlebacks (Stock Saleen part)
90mm Lightning Mass Air Flow Sensor
C&L "Racer" Intake
JDM Cold Air Kit

: DRIVETRAIN :
Driveshaft Shop 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
MGW Short Shifter
FRPP 3.73 Gears

: SUSPENSION :
Racecraft Shocks & Struts (Stock Saleen part)
Racecraft Springs (Stock Saleen part)
Racecraft Swaybars (Stock Saleen part)
LPW Differential Support Cover
CHE Axle Brace
CHE K-Member Support w/ Torque Limiters
CHE Driveshaft Loop
CHE Adjustable Upper Control Arm
CHE Fixed Lower Control Arms
CHE LCA Relocation Brackets
CHE Adjustable Panhard Bar
CHE Panhard Bar Brace

: GAUGES :
SOS Pillar Pod
Innovate XD-16 Wideband Gague w/ LC-1
AutoMeter Lunar Mechanical Vac/Boost Gague
AutoMeter Lunar Electrical Fuel Pressure Gague
Raptor Shift Light (Green)

: MISC :
PMP Line Lock kit
Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials 275/40/17 (Track)
17" OEM Anthracite Bullitt Wheels (Track)

Thanks! Thats pretty much what I'm looking at. Only think suspension wise I'm in need of is a BMR K-Member. I'm also concerned about the C&L hitting my hood/liner. IMO, If I were to spend the money on motor mounts I might as well get the K-Member but I'm not sure on funds for that.

Should it fit fine?...I really hope so...

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm running the 3.2" in our cold ass weather up here so you shouldn't have a problem running it down there.

You will rub with the C&L inlet tube if the lowered motor mounts are not used.

with the 3.4" your fuel system should be good till around 6,000rpm but I wouldn't take the chance on a stock fuel system.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't believe that I'm actually contemplating this. IMO, a couple days ago it was "N/A...N/A". Yesterday it was "Nitrous...Nitrous". Then after a talk with President Doc, I've really been thinking hard about a Saleen Supercharger. IMO, 169 Stang has one listed in the classifieds for $3900. Then of course I was speaking with Doc toward his as well. The funny thing is I'll actually have the money for it in a couple weeks...and it's very tempting! I'll have to account for new tunes, gauges, and who knows what else! I want to keep it as cheap as possible as well but want 400 or so to the ground. Thats it! No more! None! Zilch! Okay maybe 400-425 or so, but really, no more! I want to SAFELY stay in my limits of the stock block, rods, etc.

If possible, I'd like to get some input from y'all regarding the little ol' Saleen 2.3L SC. I don't even know where to start, well yeah I do...Here's what I'm thinking...

- Saleen 2.3L S/C
- Saleen 4.0, 3.4, 3.2 Pulleys (Included, but I think I'ma want 3.8-3.6)
- Belts (I'm not sure if separate belts are needed for each pulley)
- C&L 95mm Intake
- Lightning MAF w/ MAF Adapter
- GT500 TB w/ Spacer (IMO, I might as well throw this on if I can find one used...I'm contradicting myself though!)
- Autolite HT0 Spark Plugs
- 39lb Fuel Injectors
- GT500 Dual Fuel Pumps (Only if it's needed and I exceed the stockers, then again it depends on the pulley as well)

I think thats about it. Is there anything else thats absolutely NEEDED?

I'm also gonna want some gauges. I think Roper still has his SOS dual a-pillar, but I really want the triple just for that extra gauge...money! But, What gauges are truly needed? Boost and A/F? Any other ones that I absolutely really really need? If not I can get Roper's A-pillar!

From there I already have the suspension and plenty of traction. Anything else? Any comments or suggestions?

This is something I'm seriously considering right now and I really want to become more knowledgeable about the matter over the next couple weeks so I come down to a decision.

Damn that was long!

- Justin

No regrets here with going with the Saleen. I have a 3.8" pulley and am putting down just a hair under 400 @ the wheels and it 100°F (385RWHP). I should be in the 400 club as soon as fall gets here!

Manny at HPP thinks the 3.4 is safe with the right tune. I highly recommend HPP to you. Doc might have a 3.6 pulley as well.

As for recommendations, if 400RWHP is all you want, you can save some $$$ by doing this:

I think the HT0 plugs are dawg shit. Keep your stock ones. I wish I had mine now! I got a high rpm miss. The damn things foul too easy, especially if you like to run some Torco ever now and then!

You can get by with your current CAI or get a Steeda CAI and the keep the stock MAF and do just fine. I like the Steeda CAI because it blocks out the hot air with its "box" better than the others. Now they did put a MAFia "extender" on my MAF and all that is a glorifed resistor.

Each pulley requires a shorter belt. Stock is 109" and it goes down from there. I have a 108 5/8 on mine with the 3.8" pulley and it does ok. That also did OK on the 4" stock pulley but it was one mother to get on!!! Tighter than a nun's twat!

You can make 400RWHP real easy with the stock TB and no spacer.

You don't need the GT500 fuel pumps; I'm running my stock pumps and they are doing fine.

You do need the 39# Cobra injectors.

Talk to Manny @ HPP he can get you fixed up!

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why mechanical on the boost gauge?

I think that is the only way they make them. It is basically a vacuum guage with boost (postive pressure) added. All you have to do is run a thin nylon tube to the proper port and that's it. It would be the same effort to run a wire, and even more effort to install an electrical sending unit.

Also, contrary to popular belief, mechnical guages are usually more accurate and reliable than their electrical counterparts!

The only one you don't want as mechanical is the fuel pressure guage!

I am thinking about mechanical vac/boost, mechanical water temp, and mechanical oil pressure for my 3 pod dash mount.

Hope this helps.

Mike

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No regrets here with going with the Saleen. I have a 3.8" pulley and am putting down just a hair under 400 @ the wheels and it 100°F (385RWHP).

Manny at HPP thinks the 3.4 is safe with the right tune. I highly recommend HPP to you.

As for recommendations, if 400RWHP is all you want, you can save some $$$ by doing this:

I think the HT0 plugs are shit. Keep your stock ones. I wish I had mine now! The damn things foul too easy, especially if you like to run some Torco ever now and then!

You can get by with a Steeda CAI and the stock MAF just fine. I like Steeda because it blocks out the hot air with its "box" better than the others. Now they did put a MAFia "extender" on my MAF and all that is a glorifed resistor.

Each pulley requires a shorter belt. Stock is 109" and it goes down from there. I have a 108 5/8 on mine with the 3.8" pulley and it does ok. That also did OK on the 4" stock pulley but it was one mother to get on!!! Tighter than a nun's twat!

You can make 400RWHP real easy with the stock TB and no spacer.

You don't need the GT500 fuel pumps; I'm running my stock pumps and they are doing fine.

You do need the 39# Cobra injectors.

Talk to Manny @ HPP he can get you fixed up!

Hope this helps.

Mike

I've dealt with HPP many times. Manny has tuned my car quite a bit. I seem to have lost interest in them for some strange reasons though. It would be a toss up between HPP and Gearheads. I dunno...

So what about a 3.6 pulley? I really think that would be my best bet on what I'm looking at but It still worries me about my fuel pumps...

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think that is the only way they make them. It is basically a vacuum guage with boost (postive pressure) added. All you have to do is run a thin nylon tube to the proper port and that's it. It would be the same effort to run a wire, and even more effort to install an electrical sending unit.

Also, contrary to popular belief, mechnical guages are usually more accurate and reliable than their electrical counterparts!

The only one you don't want as mechanical is the fuel pressure guage!

I am thinking about mechanical vac/boost, mechanical water temp, and mechanical oil pressure for my 3 pod dash mount.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I'ma check that out as well. Getting a mech boost gauge would save me a bit! I was thinking fuel pressure for a third gauge but A/F...and boost should be fine. Plus I can get Roper's dual pillar!

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What about those Boost/Vac gauges? Would it be better to just pick up one of those or just stick with the straight up boos gauge? I really like those Coblat gauges...of course if money wasn't an option I'd have those Nexus gauges for sure!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back