Data Logging

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
23103_zpsa55cbab7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry to keep going on about 02 sensors but shouldn't the above be more hyperactive?

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Can't tell. Looks like this was recorded while at idle?
When you datalog you need to drive the car under a load,,ie normal driving conditions along with some WOT runs.
Don't think the O2 sensors are what is causing your issues. If your o2 sensors were bad then it would throw a code...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,
I'm sure those options are shown on the device itself, they don't appear to be something i can show on the graph however.
I'll plug it in later and see what they are saying.
What's your thoughts on the 02 sensor graph?

All I really know about the narrowband o2 sensors is that they should switch. I usually look at the trims to see how much correction the ecu is applying to tune. It can point out some problems and it's just where I start.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
They should switch pretty rapidly at idle.

Sometimes when they get 'lazy' they don't throw a code, but do cause the car to bog. It happened to me last summer (I tried running some leaded gas - fouled the O2s out - had a noticeable bog for a couple of weeks before they actually faulted a code).

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks all.
The 02 graph above was taken at 60mph and the graph isn't any livelier at idle so I'm hoping it is the sensors.
I have 5k aside to fix this fucker and nobody in this grey miserable country here can tell me what's wrong with her.
She's going on a rolling road tomorrow and other fancy shit.
If they can't suss out what the problem is, she's going on ebay.
Thanks all

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks all.
The 02 graph above was taken at 60mph and the graph isn't any livelier at idle so I'm hoping it is the sensors.
I have 5k aside to fix this fucker and nobody in this grey miserable country here can tell me what's wrong with her.
She's going on a rolling road tomorrow and other fancy shit.
If they can't suss out what the problem is, she's going on ebay.
Thanks all

Before you spend a lot of that money on folks who aren't familiar with the car I'd ditch the Diablo and canned tunes. Replace it with an sct x3 and a tune from lito.

Hopefully the o2 sensors will take care of it.

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again Bruce,
Just got the car back and it's good(ish) news.
Namely;
1)Never charged me anything:)
2)He pulled some codes as follows;
PO110
POO17
PO317
Above whilst engine running
With the engine off;
PO605
So my job now is to figure out what that shit means and report back. He is also doing some researching. I don't think he spent as much time with the car as I was hoping but at least he found codes which the Diablo coudn't find.

What do you chaps think?
Would what these codes represent cause really crap bogging down and the car not changing gear when it should?
What parts should I be ordering?
Cheers

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
So, I would erase all the codes using your diablo, drive it around a few miles and see what comes up.
Those codes are all over the place and before you go spending money on new sensors make sure it is not just years of old codes and bad uploading of tunes causing the issues.

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
So, I would erase all the codes using your diablo, drive it around a few miles and see what comes up.
Those codes are all over the place and before you go spending money on new sensors make sure it is not just years of old codes and bad uploading of tunes causing the issues.

Cheers mate,
There are no codes on the diablo to clear.
Those above were found yesterday by the garage.
I'm thinking of new mass air sensor, camshaft sensor,crankshaft sensor.
Then maybe 02 sensors.
If that doesn't work then an Ecu.
Whatever it is,it's affecting the gearbox. She ain't changing down when she should.
Then I'm done and she's going on Ebay.

Last edited:

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
SpeedSensor_zpsc240ed27.png
[/URL][/IMG]
speedsensor2_zpsbb4177cb.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I know I'm grasping at straws but look at these two graphs.
When I'm in 5th gear and only this gear the speed sensor is always as my mph.
In any other gear my speed sensor thinks I'm going at a higher speed.
My box isn't changing down unless i come to virtually a complete stop.
Does this mean the box will only go into the gear my speed sensor tells it to?
My speedo isn't playing up.
Surely I'm onto something here?
Throttle position sensor perhaps?

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
So the garage cleared all the codes?
Before you datalog anymore you need to fix the codes.

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
So the garage cleared all the codes?
Before you datalog anymore you need to fix the codes.

Hello mate,
Well, the garage found those codes.
They are not on my Diablo, in that I have no codes to clear.
They at least give me a clue although I'm not sure why my Diablo hasn't brought up the same codes.
I'd be a lot happier if the garage had driven the car.It may have revealed more.

John

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Cheers mate,
There are no codes on the diablo to clear.
Those above were found yesterday my the garage.
I'm thinking of new mass air sensor, camshaft sensor,crankshaft sensor.
Then maybe 02 sensors.
If that doesn't work then an Ecu.
Whatever it is,it's affecting the gearbox. She ain't changing down when she should.
Then I'm done and she's going on Ebay.

I would be really surprised if your maf, o2s, cam, and crank sensors all shit the bed at once. Have you replaced the alternator on the car? They can cause some pretty weird stuff to happen when they go bad.

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
I would be really surprised if your maf, o2s, cam, and crank sensors all shit the bed at once. Have you replaced the alternator on the car? They can cause some pretty weird stuff to happen when they go bad.

I've thought about the alternator often.
The car went shit over two years ago, just after I put on a new battery.
I'd left the lights on a few times and I ended up having to replace the battery.
I've since changed the battery again only in case the one I bought was a dud.
One thing I have noticed is the alternator gets bloody hot.
I can go for a long drive, go back to the car several hours later and the alternator is far hotter than the engine block.
Is this normal?
If it's fucked, can the Diablo read anything?
I don't have any other signs of a bad alternator although the day I got the plugs changed she felt like she was choking; lights were on,radio on,fan on,wipers on.
Had all those on today though and she wasn't as bad.
As I'm in Scotland, a new alternator will cost me x2 what it'll cost you guys.
Cheers

John

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

As much as I hate parts swapping to solve problems I'd have to agree with this. The alternators are known to give out all kinds of codes when they go.

When my battery went it also required alternator replacement. How one affects the other in these cars is debatable but it is a known fact that they go out together.

I've seen a GB based tv show that shows the hosts getting discount parts from some rather large parts stores. Maybe you can bypass the Ford dealer?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I've thought about the alternator often.
The car went shit over two years ago, just after I put on a new battery.
I'd left the lights on a few times and I ended up having to replace the battery.
I've since changed the battery again only in case the one I bought was a dud.
One thing I have noticed is the alternator gets bloody hot.
I can go for a long drive, go back to the car several hours later and the alternator is far hotter than the engine block.
Is this normal?
If it's fucked, can the Diablo read anything?
I don't have any other signs of a bad alternator although the day I got the plugs changed she felt like she was choking; lights were on,radio on,fan on,wipers on.
Had all those on today though and she wasn't as bad.
As I'm in Scotland, a new alternator will cost me x2 what it'll cost you guys.
Cheers

John

I'd bet $20 its your alt. Maybe you can find someone on here with a spare laying around willing to ship to you.

I'd also be willing you buy you a new alternator and ship it overseas for you. $180 for the alt, $60 for shipping via USPS flat rate box.

Last edited:

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your continued assistance and that kind offer of sourcing an alternator.
I've managed to find one on Amazon.com for a reasonable price.
It isn't one of those fancy efforts posted on here (PA Perf??) but hopefully it would be up to the job.
Before I press the "buy now" button can I ask one more question?
battery_zps4395e226.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Now if it was the alternator and remember my car ran great until I replaced the battery, wouldn't the voltage shown here be less?
Wouldn't I get a CEL light or any other symptoms of a bad alternator?
Wouldn't the alternator have completely packed in by now as this has been an ongoing issue for over two years now.
The alternator does get very hot. Along with TBS and 02 sensors, the alternator can cause the transmission to do weird things and that is my biggest issue-she doesn't change down when you slow the car down.
I can drive at 10mph and still be in 4th gear.
One thing I noticed the other day was a screeching noise from the front of the car-alternator belt perhaps? Only did it the once.
Sorry to be a pain but it's my birthday today and I guess I'm reluctant to spend my birthday money on an alternator.
You can also be assured that once I order the alternator I won't post anymore nonsense for at least a week:)
Cheers

John

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back