Did I break my new T56 Magnum XL??

Dylan8888

Reaction score
I recently installed a T56 magnum XL in my 2005 supercharged mustang 4.6L…

Finally broke it in (1500 miles) and did a pull in it and missed 3rd gear at redline. 1st - 2nd - 1st… I heard the rev limiter and reacted fast. Pushed the clutch in. and the car seemed to drive normal. The rest the day. Now it seems like every once in while on deceleration (4th -> 3rd shift) it is a little tough to get it out of 4th gear. Didn’t notice it for a while after this happened, so I’m not sure if there is a direct cause and effect relationship… don’t make any weird noises. Almost feels like you have to pop it out a little bit… What are the chances I fucked it up already?
Thanks

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You have to work harder than that to break that transmission. I beat on mine for over a year including lots of drag strip passes and couldn't break it. And yes, I missed a few shifts. Are you running Mobil1 ATF like the tag recommended? I ran Mobil1 in mine but I liked the feel of the Pennzoil synchromesh better.

Dylan8888

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I was able to get it on the road today for a test drive. Seems like it happens mostly when I’m slowing down coming up to stop lights. In 2nd gear and 4th it’s pretty tough to push the shifter out of gear with the clutch compressed. I tried bleeding the clutch before hand, didn’t seem to help. Clutch is brand new along with flywheel and pilot. Every other gear is smooth as butter. Never happens upshifting. Transmission only has 1000 miles on it and haven’t changed the fluid yet, but it is atf mobile 1. Trying to decide if it might be a warranty issue of some kind.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
You have to work harder than that to break that transmission. I beat on mine for over a year including lots of drag strip passes and couldn't break it. And yes, I missed a few shifts. Are you running Mobil1 ATF like the tag recommended? I ran Mobil1 in mine but I liked the feel of the Pennzoil synchromesh better.

I have Skwerl’s old transmission and I’m STILL beating on it. It’s been bulletproof. Coming up on 40,000 miles on that tranny. I even run a WOTBOX on it.

Dylan8888

Reaction score
Alright guys. Take a look at this video, there is definitely something up with this tranny. Listen specifically to third gear as it “pops” in. I’m going to call Tremec in the morning and show them the video. But I would love some opinions before I do so….

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back