Do i need a torque converter?

BlackSnakeMoan

Pokemon
Reaction score
Ok so im doing a search everywhere on torque converters and came up to know that PI is the best tc. I still dont know what stall to gor for and if to get it with lock ups or not?

My car has a bama tune+ jlt cai and 3.73 gears. Alot of mods coming on the way but im not going to the extent of buying a supercharge. Hope you can help me on the matter and tell me what other things i need to consider.

Plus i read in one of the threads that tc are no good on streets. Is this true? cuz i dont go to the track that much( once every 2 or 3 months).
Will the tci do just fine if im not going for a super charger? Hope you can answer all my questions.

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't really have much advice as I drive a stick, but I did want to say welcome to the site. You came to the right place to get the answers you looking for.

jre8806

S197 Member
Reaction score
i asked that same question a while back. All the experts adivese 3200 stall unless youre going supercharger (3500+)

TGJ

forum member
Reaction score
The Stock TC stalls around 2800 RPM and it is a lockup TC. I don't have an auto S197, but I do have a N/A 96 TBird auto. My TBird has a 4200 RPM Stall with lockup PI Triple Disc and 4.30's. The TBird is very similar in weight to the S197 auto cars. From what I have seen, I would recommend nothing less than 3500 RPM Stall TC and 4.10's for a N/A S197. If you have forced induction, I would keep the stall but change the rear gears depending on the type of FI. If the TC is made right, you won't notice much of a change for a DD. I am currently driving my TBird daily and it is making 330+ RWHP, it has very good street manners. Step on the fun pedal, well it is a different animal then...

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From what I can gather, from here and other sources, 3.73 gears in the auto s197 is about as far as you want to go. 4.10's for the manual guys and gals. Someone, please correct me if I am mistaken on that.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
From what I can gather, from here and other sources, 3.73 gears in the auto s197 is about as far as you want to go. 4.10's for the manual guys and gals. Someone, please correct me if I am mistaken on that.

I'll just say that Don_W has 4:10's, an auto, it's his daily driver and track car. It just depends on what you want to do with the car. You can go with 3:73's or 4:10's.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I'll just say that Don_W has 4:10's, an auto, it's his daily driver and track car. It just depends on what you want to do with the car. You can go with 3:73's or 4:10's.
All true... plus I have a 3500 stall triple disk PI, and it is very easy to drive on the street... even with well over 450 rwtq.

It doesn't hurt to have a great tuner tweaking it, either! Adam did a killer job with the street tune. :clap: I'll be testing the track tune in a few hours!:onfire:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back