Do I take on task of installing shorties myself???

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
So now the debate in my head begins! Picked up ford racing shorties. I have a 2006 GT. Some guys say it is a breeze... hmmm...really?? others say its a nightmare! A local highly recommended shop gave a price of $400. I like to do as much myself as possible. I have basic tools. No motor hoist. Work would be done in my garage on jack stands. So is this a job worth doing myself and saving 400 bucks, or is it worth the 400 to let the shop do it??

Oh and if any of the guys who say its a breeze are in North Jersey let me know :)

Last edited by a moderator:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Nuts and bolts. You will most likely need to raise the motor slightly for clearance. Removing the motor mount adapter will give you much better access. Car on jack stands, then floor jack with cribbing to raise the motor. Install one side at a time. Be prepared for frozen nuts/bolts/studs.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Realistically for someone who is a weekend car guy with Basic tools and jack stands, how long would you guestimate? 7hours?

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
Long tubes were a bitch yes! Did it in my garage on jack stands. Idk about shorties but had to take the motor mounts loose and jack the motor up, but it's not as bad as it sounds! If you have basic mechanic skills I would tackle the job yourself it's not bad just aggervating at times lol!

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a strong feeling as I see them sitting in box next to car in my garage I'm just going to say f it and take on the task!

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
make sure you douche every fastener with PB blaster daily for a week before you tackle the job.
when i put JBA on my jeep i did this for a week.
plan on about 5 hours if your going it alone.

good luck

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
$400 for shorties... I got screwed when a guy paid me $250 to put on LTs. I can't see shorties taking you more than a few hours.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I'll have a buddy look up the labor in Alldata, I can't see 5 hours though.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
They are allotting for broken studs, etc.

I've always just called the customer when that happens. I do let them know up front it could happen. You're right though, they probably are accounting for possible lost time breaking bolts off in the head.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Cheapest my son found was 350 on his 04 stang a few years ago and it took a week. Thats why we bought a cheap lift. It will pay for itself

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sell the shorties and buy longtubes. Why even waste your time and money on shorties. Unless a turbo is in your future you will be better off.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
If you install shorties without an off road/high flow catted mid pipe you won't notice much difference if any. Been there done that. You might not have to lift the motor with FRPP shorties because they don't have tuned or equal length primaries but you will have to prop the engine up with a jack. The right motor mount bracket has to be removed. And life will be easier if the left one is removed too. The most time consuming part is backing out the 16 studs. Many of them are a 1/4" turns at a time when you don't remove the K-member.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back