4.0L New timing chains and guides..

0M3GA

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I discovered this..
bT4zV6I.jpg

hrLgOGd.jpg

When I replaced the transmission months ago I didn't bother replacing any timing components since they were good, as they say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" boy.. I should of replaced them considering the mileage..

Well yesterday one of my friends who has a shop and a ton of spare parts for the Ford 4.0L engine, gave me a new timing kit and a new timing kit tools that I'm going to need for just $40 bucks..
4ogtsqr.jpg

n9hhX2m.jpg

Well fast forward to today and 2 hours later the engine was off(again)..
DVmF4LH.jpg

And YES that's the Walmart quality oil filter, and YES I use their oil too..

Whats the issue? Well after researching the timing kit brand turns out its an Amazon timing kit... and don't know If I should install it, the LAST thing I want to do is pull the engine out again in a month or two. I called my friend and was told that those are the kits hes been using for a long time without issues, according to him he hasn't had any customers come back for another repair due to a failed timing component.

At this point, I'm thinking of just replacing all the guides and leaving the original sprockets and chains, any thoughts? Has ANYONE used an Amazon OR Ebay timing kit without issues?

SOzzy

Reaction score
I wouldn't personally use the Walmart stuff, but for that price, pretty much all you have to lose is your time. I did the 4. Uh oh in my daughter's explorer a few months ago. Bit of a PITA. Why did they put a chain in the back? As long as it was out, I did a valve job, lash adjusters, HV oil pump, all new seals.... Now I'm waiting for her new 5r55w to show up next week. Hopefully she'll get another 150,xxx miles out of it.

0M3GA

Reaction score
I wouldn't personally use the Walmart stuff, but for that price, pretty much all you have to lose is your time. I did the 4. Uh oh in my daughter's explorer a few months ago. Bit of a PITA. Why did they put a chain in the back? As long as it was out, I did a valve job, lash adjusters, HV oil pump, all new seals.... Now I'm waiting for her new 5r55w to show up next week. Hopefully she'll get another 150,xxx miles out of it.

Years ago I bought a 2011 Elantra with 48k miles, started using the Super Tech oil and filters after 60k. Unfortunately I totalled the car at exactly 298k miles, and as a curiosity I tore down the engine.. the inside looked new no varnish, rod Bearings little to no wear, not saying it's good oil, just saying that it doesn't matter matter what you use it comes down to proper Maintenance

SOzzy

Reaction score
Years ago I bought a 2011 Elantra with 48k miles, started using the Super Tech oil and filters after 60k. Unfortunately I totalled the car at exactly 298k miles, and as a curiosity I tore down the engine.. the inside looked new no varnish, rod Bearings little to no wear, not saying it's good oil, just saying that it doesn't matter matter what you use it comes down to proper Maintenance
I won't argue the point about proper maintenance but Walmart engine parts are a different story.

whitmanink

Reaction score
just to sort out the fake news on the wallmart oil.. supertech is as good as ,Mobil 1 and pensoil , dont belive me? a youtuber "project farm" did a comparison test and sent it out to get tested,,
again i love how rumors start with little to no factual information,, kinda like the biden admin

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back