Drag Radials

SlvrS197

Reaction score
I am getting fats/skinnies soon. I currently run 26x11.50 R17 ET streets bias ply's. i pull 1.60-1.62 60's currently, but im switching to bigs littles and considering getting 26 inch (275/50 R15 drag radials...either mickeys, BFG, or hoosiers, and was wondering if i am still going to hook the same with a manuel 5 speed, or if it will be too much tire shock for radials...and input will be helpful.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what rear gears do you have?

SlvrS197

Reaction score
4.10's and i have huge cams/heads. so i dump it at 6200 +

car doesnt makes power from 5k and up

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be fine and I'd stick with Mickey's

SlvrS197

Reaction score
i did get one pass on my new 2 step 1/8th mile. and i ran 1.58 60' 7.611 @91 mph 1/8th i would like to be able to still get those kind of 60's. shooting for elevens, and lighter rims will get me there if i can keep around the same 60's

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well pretty sure there are guys on this board who have pulled 1.4x 60s on radials

SlvrS197

Reaction score
true, but im sure they have alot more suspension, more power, and better weight transfer..also with auto's.. but i dont know truely because i havent used drag radials on either of my s197's

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Drag radials will work but you have to learn to launch on them. If you want to pin the throttle and dump the clutch stick with the bias plys

SlvrS197

Reaction score
Anyone else got any input/experiENCE with drag radials and a 5 speed..(standard)

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
I think you need to slip the radial and dump the slick,if you want to slip the radial,your 2step is useless.imo

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If your suspension is set up well you can certainly dump on a radial. I dump at 4700 on a 265/40/18- 26.5", 4.10s, ~ 325/390 whp/tq at that RPM and the car dead hooks IMHO. Pulls 1.6X 60s.

[SFIRE]Stkjocks-Vert-at-Atco_725874.htm[/SFIRE]

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agree'd you can dump the clutch on a drag radial... look at the factory stock guy's getting 1.5 sixty foot's on nittos!!!

Im going to try a drag radial and a bias ply next season ;)

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I read an article online somewhere about the difference between bias and radials. I think it might have been written by a Mickey THompson Engineer but don't quote me on that. His recommendation was to use bias on stick cars and radials on autos without trans brakes. His reasoning was radials with a stick will either bog or spin at the line. There is very little room for error where a bias might spin at the line a little before it hooks but that is actually what you want in a stick car.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
His recommendation was to use bias on stick cars and radials on autos without trans brakes.
FWIW, my auto car has always worked better on bias slicks vs DRs. The DRs weren't as consistent, plus I get 3x as many runs out of a pair of slicks than I did DRs.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
FWIW, my auto car has always worked better on bias slicks vs DRs. The DRs weren't as consistent, plus I get 3x as many runs out of a pair of slicks than I did DRs.
I spoke at length with a Mickey employee. The bias ply is better suited to with stand the shock from a launch with a mt car (especially a heavy car like ours) and rebound quicker from a car that speed shifts or uses the clutch on shifts.
Pros with a bias ply- more consistent, last longer, seem to hook better when prep isn't ideal.

Pros with DRs- tend to spin a little instead of dead hook ( i would personally do this and prevent some broken parts), do not "walk" on the big end like bias plys ( you get used to that but still makes you white knucke here and there for a split second).

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
4.10's and i have huge cams/heads. so i dump it at 6200 +

car doesnt makes power from 5k and up

You need to keep the bias ply or switch to a stiff-sidewall slick. If you dump the clutch at 6200 without a well set up suspension you'll blow a radial off the car.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Pros with DRs- tend to spin a little instead of dead hook ( i would personally do this and prevent some broken parts), do not "walk" on the big end like bias plys ( you get used to that but still makes you white knucke here and there for a split second).
Not enough there for me to want to run DRs. Spinning is no fun (ever)... and tire pressure is the key to controlling the top end "walk".

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back