Dunlops

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone try a set of the new Dunlop ZII yet? I am just about ready for new tires and I have the Z1 Star Specs now and I am not sure if I want the ZII or the Pilot Super Sports. I autocross about once a month but it is a street car. As long as the tires last 15k miles, the dealership buys me new tires. The Star Specs are about 2500 miles away from the 15k and they are getting pretty worn.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BFG Rivals are better for big, powerful, heavy cars.

I can't find the ZIIs in a big enough size, anyway.

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would be getting 275/35/18, which the ZII, BFG and Super Sports are available in. I saw the BFG but I had not heard anything about it, good to see they are updating their lineup, their tires were getting a little outdated.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 275/35R18s will be a reduction in overall tire diameter from your stock tire sizes.

That's why I'm not running ZIIs; they're too tiny in terms of diameter. The last thing I need is another bump in torque.

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Good to hear they got a good review, I am already on the 275/35. I wonder if a 295/35/18 would rub real bad in the front with the BFG. I am on a 10" rim.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to hear they got a good review, I am already on the 275/35. I wonder if a 295/35/18 would rub real bad in the front with the BFG. I am on a 10" rim.

I run 285/40R18s on 18x10s. It rubs up front only at full lock.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Terry from Vorshlage did a huge write up on them and said they were an AWSOME tyre!

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8209

DSC_2057-S.jpg

Yea, I really liked the tire and cannot wait for more sizes to be released. There's an Optima Challenge qualifier we're going to run in October that we will enter and I will need either their 315mm or 335mm 18" tires...

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, I just noticed they start at 7/32. I need the tires to go 15k miles and the Star Specs started at 10/32 and I am just barely going to make the 15k. I dont think I can stretch them that far.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I run 285/40R18s on 18x10s. It rubs up front only at full lock.

That is a big tire. We tried it on a car and it looks... tall. This was only an 18x9.5" wheel, which was the widest we had on hand that would fit an S197 properly, at the time (back in late 2010 or early 2011)

DSC_8174-M.jpg

DSC_8179-M.jpg

DSC_8165-M.jpg

In the end my friend that ordered these (a pair to use for drag racing and street use) felt that the 285/40/18 had "too much sidewall" and let his vanity keep him from using that size.

DSC_8183-M.jpg

It should fit the car, as it is almost the same height as the stock tires, as long as you get the offset/backspacing right. But for a "nearly as tall as stock" size I prefer the 275/40/18. Both of these sizes have very limited options.

DSC_6031-M.jpg

Bridgestone RE-11 in 275/40/18 on 18x10" Vorshlag/D-Force wheels

IMG_6991-M.jpg

295/40/18 on the same wheels

And the 295/40/18 has even more tire height, and really a massive sidewall. It felt FUNKY in a Hoosier R6, and in the end we were FOUR seconds faster on a 315/30/18 A6 on a 3.1 mile road course. YRMV.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The overall diameter of the 285 Goodyears I'm running is 27.1", which is the exact same diameter as the factory Pirellis.

I got those tires basically on a closeout for super cheap. So I'm not complaining.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, I just noticed they start at 7/32. I need the tires to go 15k miles and the Star Specs started at 10/32 and I am just barely going to make the 15k. I dont think I can stretch them that far.

The Rivals should last a long time but I can't put a mileage number on it.

If you autocross once a month you really should get some camber plates. negative camber will keep you from killing the outside corners long before you get to the wear bars.

We have run michelin SS for the past month and are pretty happy with them. They may meet your mileage requirements but may not meet your traction requirements for autocross. FWIW we have put 112 autocross runs and a track day at Autobahn and we have about one more autocross event left before the tires are done.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
The Rivals should last a long time but I can't put a mileage number on it.

If you autocross once a month you really should get some camber plates. negative camber will keep you from killing the outside corners long before you get to the wear bars.

We have run michelin SS for the past month and are pretty happy with them. They may meet your mileage requirements but may not meet your traction requirements for autocross. FWIW we have put 112 autocross runs and a track day at Autobahn and we have about one more autocross event left before the tires are done.

If the treadwear is any real indicator of tire life in "normal" driving they should make it to 15,000 miles easy since the standard is 7500 miles for every 100 treadwear.

Of course, Autocross may change that.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
IMHO the only ones that come close to what you want are The Rivals. You can have traction or you can have milage...

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
The Rival should be a great autocross tire, I look forward to running them.

Last weekend I saw a set of 285-20 rivals that had come off a 5th gen Camaro that had placed second in class on the One Lap of America. They were near the wear bars, maybe 1/32 away, but not quite done. The best part about the rival is the way the tread wraps the sidewall, so on a camber challenged setup you will get better life out of the tires overall as the outside edges will wear longer.

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
I have zII's on my miata that's a corner/dd/autox/hpde car and they're excellent. Great turn in response IMO and superb grip in dry. I should be able to give a wet review to tonight since we expecting rain.

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
IMHO the only ones that come close to what you want are The Rivals. You can have traction or you can have milage...

The only reason for my mileage requirement is that when I bought my car, the dealership included free tires for life, but they have to last 15k miles per set. The 200 treadwear Star Specs I have now will probably make the 15k but they started out with 10/32 of tread, where the Rivals have 7.2/32. I see that the ZII only has 8/32 as well. That is the only reason I was thinking about getting the Pilot Super Sports. I don't want to throw away $1,200 worth of free tires if I can help it.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back