Ecoboost

Blank

forum member
Reaction score
Would a taurus sho engine fit in a 2011+ stang. The wheels are turning.

RickG9

Reaction score
No, the Taurus is front wheel drive so the engine is mounted sideways. FWD engines use a different block casting with mounts and bellhousing bolts different from engines mounted for rear drive.

However, the ecoboost in the F150 is mechanically the same as the FWD version ecoboost and it IS a rear drive layout so it should bolt in place of the 3.7 relatively simply since the 3.7 and 3.5 eco are from the same engine family. Getting everything wired up and connected to work in the Mustang body may be another story tho ;-)

05yellowgt

Reaction score
It would be easiest to take the ecoboost engine kit from FRPP that is complete with engine controller and DBW gas pedal. Drop that into a roller and replace the gauges with aftermarket units since there isn't a way to connect the factory gauges to the FRPP control pack. Mission accomplished.

RickG9

Reaction score
Last I heard they won't do an Eco V6 since the power is too close to the 5.0. They would only add that to the line up if the standard 5.0 output was upped quite a bit and that is cost prohibitive right now, but they are tossing aroung the idea of an EcoB 4 cyl and reviving the SVO model. That could have anywhere from 240-270 hp depending on what engine displacement is used, plus it would get amazing mpg. Alot of it depends on how Mustang production affects their CAFE numbers and if they see a need to raise avg mpg across the Mustang line which they could accomplish by adding some limited production models to the sales numbers (i.e. a 270+ hp SVO with 35+ mpg) or using a 240-250hp Eco 4 as the base engine with near 40 mpg (making the 3.7 an option, or a separate mid-level model).

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A 270hp I4 would be too close in power to the 3.7. I'll bet it never sees market.

I think you would see an up powered GT with a GDI version of the BOSS 5.0 around 460 hp. with a 3.5 EB around 400 hp first.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
A 270hp I4 would be too close in power to the 3.7. I'll bet it never sees market.

I think you would see an up powered GT with a GDI version of the BOSS 5.0 around 460 hp. with a 3.5 EB around 400 hp first.

I don't know...isn't the Ecoboost turbod? And wouldn't it then EASILY have potential to make more power than a GT with just some exhaust and tuning??

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Personally, unless you do a LOT of car shows and want it for exclusivity, it would make MUCH better fiscal and power sense to install a twin turbo system on the current 3.7L engine.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Personally, unless you do a LOT of car shows and want it for exclusivity, it would make MUCH better fiscal and power sense to install a twin turbo system on the current 3.7L engine.

Cant argue with that. A twin turbo tivct 3.7L would be nasty as well!

Fallenauthority

Reaction score

It would be a limited production if it was brought back as the SVO. I would almost put money that Ford does a ecoboost 4 cyl for a new SVO Stang.

I don't know...isn't the Ecoboost turbod? And wouldn't it then EASILY have potential to make more power than a GT with just some exhaust and tuning??
Yea it could be around or more than a stock GT, however I have bolded the keyword in your statement......Go ahead tune the car and raise the boost, make more power than a GT, enjoy no warranty courtesy of Ford as well.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It would be a limited production if it was brought back as the SVO. I would almost put money that Ford does a ecoboost 4 cyl for a new SVO Stang.

I will be very surprised. Maybe in the next gen car which is said to smaller and lighter. It will have the same problem as the last SVO if they do build it. It will cost as much or more than a V8 and have equal or less power. Buyers will opt for the power of the V8 if they gotta pay the same amount of money. The original SVO failed because it cost more to buy than the V8 car. It was technologically very advanced for it's time, but the V8 simply out muscled it, handled almost as well and cost less.

What niche will such a car fill? How many Mustang buyers would actually buy a turbo I4 Mustang? How many import buyers do you think Ford could actually lure over to this car? The answers are none and not many.

Last edited:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
I will be very surprised. Maybe in the next gen car which is said to smaller and lighter. It will have the same problem as the last SVO if they do build it. It will cost as much or more than a V8 and have equal or less power. Buyers will opt for the power of the V8 if they gotta pay the same amount of money. The original SVO failed because it cost more to buy than the V8 car. It was technologically very advanced for it's time, but the V8 simply out muscled it, handled almost as well and cost less.

What niche will such a car fill? How many Mustang buyers would actually buy a turbo I4 Mustang? How many import buyers do you think Ford could actually lure over to this car? The answers are none and not many.
You do remember the Neon SRT-4 and the Caliber SRT-4 right? Those fuckers have a cult following.....a fucking neon and a station wagon have a cult following. If Dodge can do it, Ford can do it.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
You do remember the Neon SRT-4 and the Caliber SRT-4 right? Those fuckers have a cult following.....a fucking neon and a station wagon have a cult following. If Dodge can do it, Ford can do it.

Agree on that, however, it pretty much ends at the cult...not many other people driving around want an srt4 for the same price as some comparable "muscle cars"

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
No, the Taurus is front wheel drive so the engine is mounted sideways. FWD engines use a different block casting with mounts and bellhousing bolts different from engines mounted for rear drive.

However, the ecoboost in the F150 is mechanically the same as the FWD version ecoboost and it IS a rear drive layout so it should bolt in place of the 3.7 relatively simply since the 3.7 and 3.5 eco are from the same engine family. Getting everything wired up and connected to work in the Mustang body may be another story tho ;-)

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS INFO FROM?!?

its the same block just the mounting positions are changed due to chassis adapters. you could use the ecoboost engine from the SHO but you would have to make your own adapters. the internals are different from the SHO EB to the f150 EB to the mustang N/A as is the crank and rods. this makes up for the turbocharging and such. but the block is the same casting.

remember the old taurus 3.0? the rangers used the same engine and that was from front wheel drive to a 2wd/4wd pickup. it is more cost effective to cast the same engine block and retrofit it to the application.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if the turbos and manifolds would clear the frame on either side.
Also, the Turbos on the transversely mounted ecoboost V6 have the turbine outlets facing towards the front of the engine, which will likely make fitting a large downpipe difficult of impossible. Unless the longitudinal variant of the engine has different turbo orientation.

Id be more inclined to build some turbo manifolds from scratch and enjoy the benefits of EWG, better manifold design, better downpipe design and a larger turbo(s)

Last edited:

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I wonder if the turbos and manifolds would clear the frame on either side.
Also, the Turbos on the transversely mounted ecoboost V6 have the turbine outlets facing towards the front of the engine, which will likely make fitting a large downpipe difficult of impossible. Unless the longitudinal variant of the engine has different turbo orientation.

Id be more inclined to build some turbo manifolds from scratch and enjoy the benefits of EWG, better manifold design, better downpipe design and a larger turbo(s)
I believe there has already been an FRPP ecoboost dropped into a fox body. If there aren't clearance issues there, then dropping into an S197 should be cake as far as turbo fitment goes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back