Electrical issues with gauges.

Larryfishes53

Reaction score
I bought a 2005 mustang GT back in August… I was told it had some gauge issues and confirmed that on my way home from Seattle to Roseburg Oregon with the car. Car is a bit rough. However the body is a nine out of 10 and I am planning on doing some serious upgrades to the car. The biggest issue I have is with the gauges 3 of them including the fuel gauge do not work. The tachometer WAS buried at 8000 RPM however I took the fuse box/BCM apart looking for corrosion found almost none but gently cleaned a couple terminals and immediately the tach worked, but the rest of the gauges are still. I know water entering the BCM from
the windshield area has been documented as an issue. Mine looked ok. Used on eBay are 200 bucks no guarantee. Am I even looking in the right area? Anybody have any suggestions that I may not have looked at yet?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Sounds like the stepper motors are out or malfunctioning. Just replace them. I've never done it but from what I understand it's not that difficult.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
SAY WHAT???!!!! You drove through my neck ofnthebsmwoods and didn't even say 'Hi'? J/K

Welcome young padawan.

Ya. Sounds like a stepper motor issue. I have 2 which I have been putting off for years. Finally got a new soldering iron; out of excuses. Look it up on YouTube. Doesn't seem difficult, just intimidating and maybe time consuming. Think I picked up a pack on Amazon years back. Weren't too expensive.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The tachometer WAS buried at 8000 RPM however I took the fuse box/BCM apart looking for corrosion found almost none but gently cleaned a couple terminals and immediately the tach worked, but the rest of the gauges are still.

I'm almost 100% certain that you have the common problem of failed gauge stepper motors. If you're handy with a desoldering/soldering iron, replacing them isn't a difficult job even though it might seem daunting at first. It just requires a little patience so take your time. Luckily Ford made it easy to remove the instrument cluster and you can have it out in 10 minutes. You can find packs of four or six 05-09 Mustang stepper motors in eBay.

I did all six of mine more than two years ago and they've been working flawlessly ever since.

Laga

Reaction score
I replaced all the stepper motors about 10 years ago in my 05. I had never worked a circuit board before. Not a difficult job.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Post pics if you can on how you changed the stepper motors.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back