Etchings in paint

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a 2001 bullitt and am trying to do a 2 stage paint correction on it. The hood and roof have a lot of water etchings and small pin holes in the clear. I've already hit it with an orange pad and m105. Im afraid to go any more aggressive as I'm still a newbie at this. I'll attach an image and see what you guys think. I was using a PC with orange 6" pad. Im thinking I might need a 4" or a wool pad but like I said I'm afraid of going more aggressive as the etchings appear deep.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
20150831_203537_zps0tjxirq6.jpg

Zoom in on the amber reflection, you can kinda see what I'm talking about. I will try to take better pictures later today when I get home. If zooming doesn't work pm me your number I can text you the picture if you care to take a peek.

28ONE

Reaction score
If you hit with an Orange pad and M105 - etchings are deep. How many passes are you making 6-8? Downward pressure?

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
6 to 8 up and down side to side. Enough pressure to hear an rpm change. I think a smaller pad would cut better but like I said I'm a little scared to take paint off the car

28ONE

Reaction score
What size pad are you using? Do you know if the paint has been polished before?
Maybe you didn't have enough downward pressure: 1-2 considerable pressure, 3-4 let up some, 5-6 let up some more, 7-8 just a little pressure.

Also, the area you work on should be 2'x2'

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Its a 6" or 6.5. Dont think it's been polished before. I did the passes exactly how you're describing. I just don't think the pad is moving enough, I got a little better results with a microfiber applicator by hand

28ONE

Reaction score
For the PC 5.5" pad is best. Did you put a mark with a sharpie on the BP so you can tell it's spinning? I got the PC used it once and immediately got the Flex3401, night and day difference but it's expensive.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Backing plate is black lol so ill have to use whiteout or something. I'm going to pick up a 4" pad combo. It'll help anyways with the areas around the bumpers and pillars.

28ONE

Reaction score
Ahh shit a black BP - thats a first...put on a strip of white medical

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely mark the backing plate. They have silver sharpies ;). 105 and an orange pad should remove it. Hearing the RPM the pad probably isn't spinning it's just vibrating essentially.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
I went back over it again yesterday. It came out a lot better, I don't think I was moving slowly enough. They are still there a little bit but I will live with it. It's a 14 yr old car and has had 5 owners, i saved it from a guy delivering pizzas in it. Thank God he only had it for 2 months. Only 67k miles though

XxBoostinxX

forum member
Reaction score
The main problem with such a large pad on a PC is it doesn't move much. The suggested marker mark makes sure your pad stays moving. It is doesn't move you aren't going to get any correction or very little. Try to ease up on the pressure and get the pad moving more and see how that does. I would even ease up enough and stay in that one spot for a little longer, than move and come back.

Etching can be really deep also. It just depends on which level of etching it is.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back