Exedy clutch with stock flywheel

07BLACKStang

forum member
Reaction score
I have done some searching and haven't found much information regarding using a stock FW with an exedy clutch.

I have decided on the exedy clutch (Mach 400 probably). I am trying to figure out what to do about the FW to go along with this clutch. Aftermarket flywheels are a bit more than I want to spend so was hoping that the Mach 400 will hold my 450hp okay with the stock FW.

Anyone with experience with this setup? Does it hold the power okay? Do you get chatter or any ill effects that you wouldn't have otherwise if you had gone with an aftermarket FW?

I am trying to do this as cost effective as possible as it is a temporary solution until I can build the motor and swap in a tr6060 (probably not for another year or two).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I did a Mach 400 with a stock flywheel and it was great. Loved it. You won't have any problems with that set up.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of people do the flywheel for a more 'complete' job, however as long as you don't have hotspots I would just leave it. I have done clutches on many different cars without touching the flywheel and never had a problem.

07BLACKStang

forum member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I am planning on at least resurfacing my stocker or possibly picking up a new take off.

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
How many miles you guys have on your stock flywheels that you are resurfacing and reusing. Just curious.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
How many miles you guys have on your stock flywheels that you are resurfacing and reusing. Just curious.

When I had mine apart it had 71k on it and it looked really nice. I just took a DA wheel and hand smoothed it out. Turned out great and drives perfectly.

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
When I had mine apart it had 71k on it and it looked really nice. I just took a DA wheel and hand smoothed it out. Turned out great and drives perfectly.

I just about to hit 60k when the car comes out of hibernation so maybe I can have mine resurfaced at a local tranny shop.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I did an aluminum flywheel when I switched to the exedy 400. Honestly wish I had just resurfaced the OEM and put it back in. The aluminum is nice enough, supposedly rev's quicker. The engine hunts for idle occasionally. If I'm not shifting fast enough I drop rpm too fast between gears, and end up dragging the rpm's back up on engagement. Can't recall if I have a fidanza or spec flywheel but it has a removable insert, instead of needing to be machined to resurface. So there's ups and downs to the aluminum. OEM is preferable, to me. Next time the tranny comes out, the OEM is going back in.

07BLACKStang

forum member
Reaction score
This is great feedback. I will definitely be resurfacing the stocker. Do you just take it to a transmission shop to have that done?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Machine shop for the resurfacing. I've always found the heavier flywheels easier to drive around town as well.

Nutter281

forum member
Reaction score
Not to dissent from the opinion of the thread but to the OP - $40 for a resurface or I am selling that exact Exedy lightweight flywheel with only 2k miles on it for $250 OBO and I live in Austin, TX.... just food for thought!

:)

Thanks,
Austin

07BLACKStang

forum member
Reaction score
Not to dissent from the opinion of the thread but to the OP - $40 for a resurface or I am selling that exact Exedy lightweight flywheel with only 2k miles on it for $250 OBO and I live in Austin, TX.... just food for thought!

:)

Thanks,
Austin

Thanks for the offer but I think I will save the 200 bucks for something else. I am just trying to get through the next 12-18 months before I can get a second vehicle and start a complete build on this car.

Nice to see another Austinite on here! Hit me up if you go to any meets or anything. I have been out of the loop for a bit.

07BLACKStang

forum member
Reaction score
For those of you who used the stock flywheel, what slave did you use? The ford part is pricey!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
You can use the slave from an 11-14 car. It's a lot cheaper than the 05-10 slave. I'm using one right now in my TR3650 and it's working great. It was $100 vs $240.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back