Exhaust mid pipe tech ? (not what you think)

Mustanglouie

forum member
Reaction score
I have been doing some searching here and other places on the net and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Can anyone here explain what the effects of having a typical mid pipe like the H or X vs not having a cross over pipe that connects the two exhaust pipes? Plus was wondering what would the effects be if the cross over pipe was say longer than usual and also say the cross over was higher up or sooner in the mid pipe. How would these effect the sound and performance of an exhaust system? Or would they? Hopefully I don't sound totally stupid with these ?'s but I have been throwing some ideas around in my head.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
From what I understand is that since all the cylinders are expelling exaust at different times the crossover allows for pressure from the combustion to be relieved faster. Search for cross over headers (I think that's what they are called). They are neat.

crazy88

forum member
Reaction score
I know that not having a cross over pipe will make the car VERY loud, found that out the hard way years ago. I would imagine it does have an effect on performance as well, Im sure someone will chime in on that.

stangzilla

forum member
Reaction score
IMO, the cross over is for better scavenging of the exhaust gasses.
better scavenging = more power.
it also balances out the sound and makes it sound smoother.
my experience is besides being more raspy, the x pipe flows better and sounds smoother.
the h pipe has more of a lower tone.
the closer the crossover is to the collectors, the better the scavenging.
the wider the h pipe crossover, the worse the scavenging is.
i have a couple friends without the crossover, and it has more of a low tone, but its not significantly louder, you can hear the pulsing of the exhaust more.
no crossover has more of that old school sound.

you gonna put those 10 series on there?

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
There are a number of books that explain exhaust "tuning". From what I remember, the exhaust pulses in tubing can be likened to sound pulses. When they reach the end of a pipe a shock wave is created and it travels back up the pipe to the exhaust valve. A properly designed crossover pipe will be tapped into the other side at a point where the returning shock wave is bled off to some extent, reducing the shock in both pipes because of its phasing. The returning shock wave inhibits exhaust flow. A good example of the design intended to reduce the shock wave at the exhaust exit can be seen on motorcycle mufflers that have a megaphone shape (allowing the exhaust to expand and weaken the shock at the end of the pipe) and some have a small reverse cone that excludes a percentage of the return wave.

I think the effect is greater on smaller engines, that the larger ones have enough pressure and volume that the sound-like shock waves don't have such a proportionately large influence. There are motorcycle engines that just won't run without the proper muffler or pipe-end shape.

Length and diameter are influential as well: narrower pipes result in higher exhaust speeds and more "tuned" effects; longer pipes favor torque, shorter for HP.

I remember some of the Trans-Am Camaro racers of the late 1960s or early-mid 1970s went with "180-degree" headers where the exhaust pipes met in the collectors at specified pulse intervals depending on firing order, actually crossing from one side of the engine to the other side for collection. They sounded like - what? - high-revving engines with more than eight cylinders. I seem to remember they fell out of favor because the HP curve was peaky, when heavier cars on road courses were better-off with proportionately more torque. Installation and removal made engine maintenance difficult, as well.

All that stuff is probably available on-line somewhere. Some of what I remember may be off-base.

On my current V-8 cars I have replaced the mid-section of the exhausts with FRPP "X-pipes". It seems to me the change in performance was an increase in horsepower at higher RPM: you get up there five thousand and higher, you can feel it and hear the exhaust lose its V8 "thump" and begin that screaming sound. Mmm mm. I like it.

I don't know what "raspy" sounds like now, as everything from about 3.5KHz on up is gone from my hearing.

My sense of the crossover versus straight back is that the straight pipes will sound pretty good to everyone, but they are not allowing the engine to do all the power-production it is capable of.

Mustanglouie

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input stangzilla! Well im not going to mess with the 10 series anymore but I am thinking of trying something different so we will see...
Thanks frank s for your knowledge as well. Very helpfull indeed. Thanks for the input!

stangzilla

forum member
Reaction score
let us know what you end up doing, Mustanglouie. i enjoyed your video of the 10 series midmounted with the cams.
I always like to hear new and different setups, and how they effect the sound and performance.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back