Exhaust Volume Questions

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
So I spent a long time coming up with how I wanted my car to sound, and when I built my exhaust, it sounded perfect.

However, now I have added a supercharger, and just like a trumpet or any other horn instrument, the extra air has added more volume. I really don't want to go back to the drawing boards for my exhaust, I just want to bring the volume down some more.

Here is what I have:

Pypes long tube headers, custom catted H-Pipe, Pypes M-80 mufflers mounted mid car just like the mid muffler exhaust, and SLP loudmouth tips. The 4" double walled tips really add to the acoustic quality.

Does anyone know a muffler that is slightly quieter than the M-80 but fits it's profile? I know that I could add stingers to the rear, but I really like the sound quality of the SLP 4" tips.

Any suggestions?

mrdeath2000

forum member
Reaction score
maybe not.... but I just read your[ch4r1ie] signature... and reminded me about reading that thread.

26" hoopties... that whole thread killed me.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen people fitting magnapacks in the mid, but if I am not wrong the are thicker than the M80s.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Not tech mate :beerdrink:

I disagree, I'm not asking about which one sounds better, but I do see why you think that and I respect your opinion. If I posted this in the "bling" section I would get all kinds of crap that has nothing to do with the technical aspects of how a exhaust works, or what to do in my particular case.

M80s should do it.

I already have a set of M80's in the mid, so should I add a second pair? I also saw the pype bomb axle backs, but does anyone know what type of muffler it is? Is it a perferated core, louvered core, mesh core? I'm not wanting to add too much back pressure, but I do need it quieter, it is un-Godly loud.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I dunno if you'll have room for 2 sets of M80's. They aren't as thick as the Magnapacks because they are longer than the magnapacks, by 4" if I'm not mistaken. The 4" tips that come with the Pypes MMS made the car blare at 2-3k/rpm. I went on ebay and found a pair of 4"x10" wedge cut polished tips and it reduced the blare but mellowed the tone very nicely. If I had gotten the 4"x14" ones I think it might have cut the blare down even more.

The Long Tube headers will definately mellow the exhaust out too. You may want to do your long tube's first, and then see where you're at before you cut volume. I have Thumpr stage 2's, Pypes LT's, O/R X, and Pypes MMS and I love the way it sounds. Although, I'm one of those guys who says "If it's too loud, you're too old!" lol. You could always put regular Magnaflow's on the rear, and if that's too quiet remove the M-80's?

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I dunno if you'll have room for 2 sets of M80's. They aren't as thick as the Magnapacks because they are longer than the magnapacks, by 4" if I'm not mistaken. The 4" tips that come with the Pypes MMS made the car blare at 2-3k/rpm. I went on ebay and found a pair of 4"x10" wedge cut polished tips and it reduced the blare but mellowed the tone very nicely. If I had gotten the 4"x14" ones I think it might have cut the blare down even more.

The Long Tube headers will definately mellow the exhaust out too. You may want to do your long tube's first, and then see where you're at before you cut volume. I have Thumpr stage 2's, Pypes LT's, O/R X, and Pypes MMS and I love the way it sounds. Although, I'm one of those guys who says "If it's too loud, you're too old!" lol. You could always put regular Magnaflow's on the rear, and if that's too quiet remove the M-80's?

Here is what I have:

Pypes long tube headers, custom catted H-Pipe, Pypes M-80 mufflers mounted mid car just like the mid muffler exhaust, and SLP loudmouth tips. The 4" double walled tips really add to the acoustic quality.

I already have most of what you said on my car already. I want to turn it down a little bit.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I disagree, I'm not asking about which one sounds better, but I do see why you think that and I respect your opinion. If I posted this in the "bling" section I would get all kinds of crap that has nothing to do with the technical aspects of how a exhaust works, or what to do in my particular case.

re read our posting rules please.

how exhaust sounds doesn't qualify as tech........... moved..........

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back