First time at the track. Some good and some bad.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
It started as a great day. Cool air and sun. We got to the track by 8:30am and finally got in and unloaded by 9:30. We had a check list of things to go over before making any runs. One of which was to make sure the 2-step was setup properly. When Jeremy fired the car up and tested the 2 step I noticed a bit of moisture come out of the left tailpipe along with some light white smoke. I honestly thought it may just have been from the car sitting overnight, the cold weather and the 2-step loading up the cylinders with fuel. I really didn't think anything more than that as the car ran great on the dyno and I had no other reason to believe there was an issue.

So we headed to the staging lanes. Lowered the tire pressure to 14psi and made our attempt at our first run with the new setup. The 2-step was set at 3500rpm's and immediately blew the tires off. The track prep was crap and I'm sure the cold weather didn't help. Since it was such a horrible launch Jeremy shut down even before shifting into 2nd and aborted the run.

Since the car was still cool he rolled back around and got into the staging lane again. Waited a bit for our class and then stepped up again. This time the 2 step set a little lower. Launched the car. Same thing. Blew the tires right off finally got back into it by granny shifting into 2nd and then stayed in it through 3rd and 4th. We obviously didn't expect much due to the launch and slow shift into 2nd. The run yielded a 10.40@138 and change. I don't have the slip but the 60ft and 1/8 time and 1/8mph weren't anything special.

When Jeremy came back around from that run he told me he noticed some white smoke out the drivers side exhaust when he let out of it after the 1/4 mile mark. At this point we started getting concerned as even though the launch was junk we should have seen a faster mph for the power we're making. So we started to look into what was happening with the smoke and moisture. My first inclination was to check the radiator reservoir. When I opened it up it was very low. There was only about an inch of fluid from the bottom of the tank. The last time I had checked the tank was when we were on the dyno. Since then the car has been worked on so it's possible some fluid may have been taken out but again I was very concerned. We ended up pulling all of the plugs. What we found was some light pepper speckle on most of the porcelain which means that at some point the car detonated or ran hot. We did a compression check on each cylinder and everything checkout out fine. So we put the plugs back in and I flashed the car with the 93 octane aggressive tune. The tune we were running before was the race gas only tune.

Get up to the line with the 2 step lowered a bit more and launched the car. Same thing. Blew the tires off however it wasn't nearly as bad as the last run. The run actually looked like it was going well until I see the brake light lit up from a distance and see that Jeremy shut down before the end of the run. He coasts through the traps and the board lights up a [email protected]. I believe it was around the 1000ft mark where he let off. When Jeremy comes back around to the trailer he said that as soon as he went into 4th the car broke up so he shut down. After reviewing the run on paper it was going real well until the back end. We had a 1.535 60ft and 6.56 1/[email protected]. We believe that if the car stayed on it's course from that 1/8 mile time and mph we should have trapped 144-146mph and seen that 9 sec pass.

Now here's the negative part. We know something is going on with the car. The moisture in the exhaust, loss of fluid in the coolant tank and the way the plugs looked make it pretty clear that we're going to have to pull the motor for a checkup. It's not worth it to risk hurting the motor so in order for us to see what's going on it's got to come out. Whether it's a blown head gasket or something else it needs to be fixed as it definitely played a role in the poor performance of the car today.

I'm somewhat upset as I was expecting a better day and we were really hoping to see some 9.60-9.80's however I completely understand that this is just how it works with racing and accept it. The motor will come out this week and picked up by our engine builder for him to take apart and find out what's going on. We look to be back up and running in a couple of weeks.

On a positive note we know that the 1/8th mile time we saw from our only somewhat clean pass is an indicator that the car is strong. Being that it was also done on the 93 aggressive tune and not the race gas tune also makes us realize there's a lot more in her. We also learned a bunch about our suspension setup which will be helpful for later on. Lastly it was a great day spent with my family and friends. My wife, son, employee and crew from UPR made it all that better considering what was going on.

We promise to get everything sorted out and give you guys that mid 9 sec run you're all waiting to see.

For now thanks to everyone for all their support.

Have a great weekend.

Jared

YouTube- Lethal Performance 2010 GT500 1/4 mile run 10.13

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Wow Jared , I hope its not bad , you need to do a leak down NOT a compression check .
The 1/8th mile times are very good you'll be in the 9s easily.

What was going on today at PBIR?

Pete

Last edited:

Cone Sweeper

Track Whore
Reaction score
Jared sounds like the car can possibly be the beast you guys are trying to create. Sorry to hear about the problems you guys are finding and hope things get worked out

Citrus Nationals Pete.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Sucks that you have a gremlin to sort out, but clearly the potential is there. Keep us posted on what you find.

p.s. I moved this from Tech to the Drag Racing forum.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sucks that you have a gremlin to sort out, but clearly the potential is there. Keep us posted on what you find.

p.s. I moved this from Tech to the Drag Racing forum.

Why didn't you fix the video embedding while you were at it?

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
jared it's henry I've got a question,have you ever ran the 2 step on any of your 500's and it didn't blow the tires off? because I've tried it on my 12 second GT and it blows the tires off at any rpm,I think because from the time it takes you to go from the floor to where the clutch engages the rpm comes up to high and cooks the tires.imo and the best 60' with it is a 1.68 and without it a 1.57.just wanted to run that by you since there is no way to slip the clutch at all with a 2 step.and I launch at 6200-6500 rpm but with the 2step 3500 is to much.good luck and will look for your passes.

HARLEYDEALER

Reaction score
Jared, This sort of thing just blows, hope you can find the problem easy enough. Your car looks really sharp and I love your list! You, guys earned a good run, not saying you didn't, but the nine's were there, it took some will power to pack her up with the nines knocking on your door, I believe you will be in the mid's next time! Good Luck and God's speed! Bill

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Well after a long week and a lot of support from all of our friends Jake@Power By The Hour got a chance to check the car out. We did a leakdown and compression test and the motor passed with flying colors. The plugs were swapped, a new alternator was put on the car and we made a few other tweaks. We also believe we figured out why the car was acting the way it did last time at the track.

None the less we'll be picking up the car tomorrow and throw it on the dyno at UPR just to make sure it's all good. Then it's off to the track.

Thanks to everyone for their support. Jon L., Jeremy@UPR (Huge Thanks), Al Papitto and Jake@Power By The Hour.

Hopefully things work out well tomorrow and we can post some new times.

Jared

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
Good news , Ill see you at the track tomorrow Jared , Im going up to do some test runs as well.

Pete

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
jared it's henry I've got a question,have you ever ran the 2 step on any of your 500's and it didn't blow the tires off? because I've tried it on my 12 second GT and it blows the tires off at any rpm,I think because from the time it takes you to go from the floor to where the clutch engages the rpm comes up to high and cooks the tires.imo and the best 60' with it is a 1.68 and without it a 1.57.just wanted to run that by you since there is no way to slip the clutch at all with a 2 step.and I launch at 6200-6500 rpm but with the 2step 3500 is to much.good luck and will look for your passes.

Henry,

We've only had the car at the light 3 times. Each time it blew the tires off. However each time the car was running stock shocks which I believe definitely contributed to some of our launch traction issues. We've got some double adjustable QA1's on the car now. We'll be headed to the track next Wed night so we'll see how it does then.

Hope all is well.

Jared

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Car looks and sounds mean as hell. Can't wait to put some bigger 28's on the back on my ride

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
Henry,

We've only had the car at the light 3 times. Each time it blew the tires off. However each time the car was running stock shocks which I believe definitely contributed to some of our launch traction issues. We've got some double adjustable QA1's on the car now. We'll be headed to the track next Wed night so we'll see how it does then.

Hope all is well.

Jared
if you do run into traction issues like I did with the 2step.then try it once or twice without it just to see,because I know you can control the launch better than that 2 step.IMO

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back