first time out to the track with the '12 results

01bluesnake

Reaction score
Well, i was able to get to the track yesterday for the first time with the car, did 3 runs and was very pleased with the results. The car has 3.31 gears and a 275/60R15 M/T radial which is a 28". I didnt want to step down to a 26" tire so i could see what a tire close to stock size would do without changing the actual rear gear calculation. They are mounted on a 15x10 for a better tire foot print. The car at the track had no spare, no front sway bar, Off road BBK cat deletes, DR tire, and a 93 tune by me. I was leaving off a 4500 sct two step for the first and last run. The first run was a wash since my tire gauge was reading about 7 psi low, and they weren't checked hot. On the second run i had them dialed at 15.5psi, but left at 3600 and bogged running a 12.4 @112. The last run i did a crappy burnout and launched at 4500 giving some spin to a 12.2@113 run with a 1.91 '60. I didn't cut my stock bump stops in the rear and think it may off caused me to unload from bottoming out. The temp out was 92* with a track temp of 125*. The DA was 3000, normally around 1000 in chicago area's which hurt the times some. My friend did the DA correction to a 11.64@119, but that would be a perfect cool air night and may be a little generous time. I'm trying to get to the track again on a cooler day with the stops cut, but for now here's some pics and a vid.
:beer:

Track stats:
92* outside temp
125* track temp
DA 3000

Best run:
[email protected]
'60 1.91 spinning
1/8th was 7.918 @ 90.24

Video of last run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaaLkDUAV8&feature=youtu.be

TrackS1.jpg

Smoked the tires up first run due to incorrect tire pressure
TrackL2.jpg

TrackL1.jpg

TrackB2.jpg

TrackB1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaaLkDUAV8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Reaction score
Thanks. Ya, i was very happy with the last run even though i spun pretty good. I should have a vid up shortly, still loading lol.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. Ya, i was very happy with the last run even though i spun pretty good. I should have a vid up shortly, still loading lol.

Nice run. Cutting the bumpstops might help. (what springs are you on?) But that bouncy deal you were getting on the launch is pretty typical of S197s on stock shocks. You can dial that out with adjustable shocks like QA1 or Strange.

I suspect that you would drop the 60-foot time quite a bit with UPR LCAs, Strange 10-ways, a little less air in the tires, more RPMs, and a lot of finesse coming out of the hole. But if you really want to get aggressive, Hoosier QTP or M/T ET Street would help. (assuming you want to stay with a DOT tire)

01bluesnake

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The car is on Eibach pro springs, everything else stock. I was looking at shocks, noticed the stock ones ride nice, but give poop for spring control. I was looking at the strange shocks, had great luck with them in the my cobra. When i get back out, i should have more time to play with tire pressure and launch RPM. Ya, going to try and stick with a radial tire for now.

MikeT

forum member
Reaction score
those 15's fit over the brakes ok? i have the brembo package and wasn't sure if the backs are any diff

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The car is on Eibach pro springs, everything else stock. I was looking at shocks, noticed the stock ones ride nice, but give poop for spring control. I was looking at the strange shocks, had great luck with them in the my cobra. When i get back out, i should have more time to play with tire pressure and launch RPM. Ya, going to try and stick with a radial tire for now.

Cool, our customers have had great success with both the Strange 10-way and QA1s.

01bluesnake

Reaction score
those 15's fit over the brakes ok? i have the brembo package and wasn't sure if the backs are any diff

The car is actually a non Brembo car, but I added them to the front, I also got the wheels to dd with. I believe the rear brakes are all the same as the wheel part number on Welds site is the same for the gt to gt500 on the rear. I have the 18" fronts but just got here Tuesday and not in time for track day.

Cool, our customers have had great success with both the Strange 10-way and QA1s.

ya, I haven't heard anything bad about either. Strange is literally 15mins from me, so usually why I end up using them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back