Ford checking for Tunes

Reaction score
After you have bought all that garbage you've bought a new short block.........just saying..... (for the most part)

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
After you have bought all that garbage you've bought a new short block.........just saying..... (for the most part)

for the slght chance your car will lunch on a #8.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Unless you purchase the Ford IDS tool to get the new ECU working with the rest of the system and recode the keys, Ford will have record of a ECU swap but yes you can buy a new ECU easily, Tousley sells them for like $400

Frank brought up a good point a while ago. Does the ECU record how many times the key has been used? It will look odd if a car had 10,000 miles on it and only 5 key cycles.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC it does, it was discussed in one of the many previous threads on the topic.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
There is no way around it, been discussed many times, Ford will know you swapped the ECU. Just stop wasting time.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It's amazing what ridiculous lengths people will go to in order to preserve a warranty. Often they spend or waste thousands more dollars than if they had just forgotten about the warranty altogether. Like the idiots that will keep a vehicle stock for 5 years and never drive it, and then the week after the warranty expires they put a supercharger on it. What were you waiting for?

Wish I Had a Nice Car

forum member
Reaction score
It's amazing what ridiculous lengths people will go to in order to preserve a warranty. Often they spend or waste thousands more dollars than if they had just forgotten about the warranty altogether. Like the idiots that will keep a vehicle stock for 5 years and never drive it, and then the week after the warranty expires they put a supercharger on it. What were you waiting for?

Well, if it was a brand drive train like the 11 when it came out, it makes sense to wait for a bit so you can figure out what the motor can hold. Unless you can afford to just dump 8k if the motors goes. (But thats a moot point because the motors seem to survive well on boost)

I think it's worse along the lines of buying the extended warranty and modding the car, THAT would be a waste of money.

But to the OP, this has been beat to death, you can't beat the system with out spending more money than it would have taken to just buy an extra motor and leave it in the garage. You gotta pay to play.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You mean my motor doesn't have a warranty after I stroke it to a 5.0 !?! Those Bastards!!!

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
This whole #8 thing is not as widespread as you would believe. From a quality stand point the # of reported defects vs. number of 5.0 engines sold, is still within a six sigma specification or less than 3.4 defects per million units.

How do you figure that it is less than 3.4 per million when Ford has only sold roughly 60,000 5.0 Mustangs, and there have been more with the number 8 issue in that 60,000. I also realize Ford uses a version of the 5.0 in other vehicles however technically they are not the same engine with the same engine calibration as the Mustang.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score

I would love it if they offered a discount if you give up your powertrain warranty at purchase. I'd gladly take a discount.

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought the only thing ford could tell was the same thing that happens if the battery is unhooked?? So if you brought it back to stock with the stock ecu and brought it in, they would not know if the battery was just unhooked or if it was reflashed...

How do you figure that it is less than 3.4 per million when Ford has only sold roughly 60,000 5.0 Mustangs, and there have been more with the number 8 issue in that 60,000. I also realize Ford uses a version of the 5.0 in other vehicles however technically they are not the same engine with the same engine calibration as the Mustang.

Ford has only sold roughly 60k 5.0 mustangs in the past 2 years?

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I think you should buy all the parts you want and not worry about a tune. That should help your tune issue, right? I mean, I can't see anything wrong with just throwing parts on your car.

coyote5o-cnj

forum member
Reaction score
All the people on here being a smart ass about dumb shit like not tuning after adding parts are the reason why forums start to suck. Noone is that dumb certainly not me especially considering I am trying to figure out where in the tunes the flash counter or whatever they have monitoring is, I'm pretty sure your just a fanboy of other people on here who talk shit to someone who asks a legitmate question. and this whole thing is actually not for me I have a friend whose 4th gear went out on him yesterday and he is was unsure about how they checked it, since he is tuned. But thanks to all douches for giving your dumbass remarks they really help answer questions, and to those who say use search tell me what to search for that will get there bc if is in someone elses thread about removing the cats or some other dumb shit not really related then the search doesnt help you out to much, and some people dont live on the forums waiting for someone to ask a question that you can pull out a flame thrower on.

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
they cant tell if youve had a tune or not. go ahead mod it, it'll be completely covered by your warranty..........

please note, this was sarcasm.... they will void your warranty...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back