Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Boss gets booted from 2014 Ford Mustang

Last of fifth-generation pony car gets few changes

By: Jake Lingeman on 11/08/2012
Related Articles

The track-ready Boss 302package for the Ford Mustang will not be on the options list for the 2014 model, according to the order guide sent to Ford dealers.

The 2014 Ford Mustang will be the last of the fifth generation of the car. A redesign for the 2015 model is expected to arrive in early 2014, using a new rear-drive platform that includes an independent rear suspension and a turbocharged four-cylinder engine option.

The dealer order guide was posted on the Internet by fan Web site Mustangs Daily. The fact that dealers have the order guide now is a sign that the 2014 Mustang will go on sale in early 2013. For the past few years Ford has given each model year of the Mustang an early sales start.

According to the order guide, there are few changes for the 2014 Mustang—not surprising given that it's the last of the current-generation car.

Both the 305-hp, 3.7-liter V6 and the 420-hp 5.0-liter V8 will continue in the 2014 model.

A new appearance package, order code FP6, will combine painted outside mirror caps, a painted decklid spoiler, rear side window louvers and 18-inch black-painted wheels. Another package, FP8, will replace those 18s with 19-inch wheels.

Two new colors, Oxford white and Ruby Red metallic, will replace Red Candy metallic, High Performance white and School Bus yellow.

The GT500 will get heated front seats as standard equipment, though not on the Recaros.

The GT/CS California Special appearance package--which we weren't even sure Ford was still offering until we checked--will be on the options list for the 2014 model.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ford, if you are listening, BOSS 351. Take the Shelby engine and make it N/A with about 485-500 hp. This is doable. Make it a one year only model just like the original.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Ford, if you are listening, BOSS 351. Take the Shelby engine and make it N/A with about 485-500 hp. This is doable. Make it a one year only model just like the original.

they can hit that # with the 5.0

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
they can hit that # with the 5.0

Oh but how much easier and torquey it would be with an aluminum 5.8.

I would actually choose to build an n/a 5.8 before a Coyote, due to the tremendous advantage in potential power, without having to rev the car too high.

If this is true, I may see myself owning a Boss302 in the near future.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
13 Boss mustangs are not gonna be cheap...as in few discounts.

I'd have to think about trading the truck for a 351 N/A. My wife would nuke me.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
13 Boss mustangs are not gonna be cheap..

No Doubt
But I have seen a few discounted 2013
NJ dealer had a Green one for like 40k
And a dealer down south had a Grabber blue for 42K
Both optioned high with recaros and had 45K MSRP sticker

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
What is odd, the Boss "road runner" 5.0L they had to put out research and developement money out to build that engine. As most of that engine has different internal parts then the "coyote" 5.0L. Then after only 2 years they drop it. Plus next year GM comes out with the LE1 Camaro thats supose to be the competition against the Boss. But there will be no Boss.

I guess those rumors that the 2015 Mustang Boss about the engine getting a 6HP bump to 450 HP is dead now too. Wounder if Boss sales wheren't doing to good?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd expect to see the BOSS spec engine show up in a new model or maybe become the new standard 5.0 in '15.

Imagine a BOSS 302 spec DOHC 5.0 with GDI. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe jumped about 14% with the addition of GDI. If the BOSS stays 444hp and jumps even 10% in power it'd give 488 hp. New LT1 fighter anybody??? Probably wishful thinking though.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
What is odd, the Boss "road runner" 5.0L they had to put out research and developement money out to build that engine. As most of that engine has different internal parts then the "coyote" 5.0L. Then after only 2 years they drop it. Plus next year GM comes out with the LE1 Camaro thats supose to be the competition against the Boss. But there will be no Boss.

I guess those rumors that the 2015 Mustang Boss about the engine getting a 6HP bump to 450 HP is dead now too. Wounder if Boss sales wheren't doing to good?

It is the 1LE Camaro, and it will be out here in a few months as a 2013 model, so it will still be competition for the Boss.

I'd expect to see the BOSS spec engine show up in a new model or maybe become the new standard 5.0 in '15.

Imagine a BOSS 302 spec DOHC 5.0 with GDI. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe jumped about 14% with the addition of GDI. If the BOSS stays 444hp and jumps even 10% in power it'd give 488 hp. New LT1 fighter anybody??? Probably wishful thinking though.

From what I heard at SEMA Ford had the new 11:1 Compression 5.0L Aluminator spec'd at 500hp.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score

Thats probably why they are dropping it.....To piss GM off that there will not be competition for them.....lol

BLUEDRG3o5

forum member
Reaction score
From what I heard at SEMA Ford had the new 11:1 Compression 5.0L Aluminator spec'd at 500hp.

This is true. mild cams and fully CNCed heads.
Also, i think the new LT1 has direct injection yet only jumped up 20 or so hp? correct me if im wrong

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Wow! Sad! Because that was a great name plate for the Mustang lineup, and had great meaning to the company name itself.imo.

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
I read somewhere this was the plan all along, it was a 2-year run like the original '69/'70 run. The stripes even mimic the '69/'70 with the C-Stripe and later hockey stripe.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score

The Road Runner engine is used in all of Ford Racing's endevors with the Mustang with the exception of the Cobra Jet. Just like Ford did in 1969 they built up a racing tradition with the "race" 5.0 and it carried through until 1970.
It is the 1LE Camaro, and it will be out here in a few months as a 2013 model, so it will still be competition for the Boss.

This is true. mild cams and fully CNCed heads.
Also, i think the new LT1 has direct injection yet only jumped up 20 or so hp? correct me if im wrong

Do you have any more information about this? Where did you hear about this?
I read somewhere this was the plan all along, it was a 2-year run like the original '69/'70 run. The stripes even mimic the '69/'70 with the C-Stripe and later hockey stripe.

^^This, there was a rumor floating around about a Boss 351 continuing on with the Boss legacy but this close to 2014 production if we haven't heard about this yet I doubt this will happen.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
^^ contact Ford Racing, but it is the new 11:1 CR 5.0L Coyote Aluminator. I guess it is using the Boss heads now and different cams.

So I would feel a production 2015 Mustang GT could EASILY see 485-500hp without even needing DI.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^ contact Ford Racing, but it is the new 11:1 CR 5.0L Coyote Aluminator. I guess it is using the Boss heads now and different cams.

So I would feel a production 2015 Mustang GT could EASILY see 485-500hp without even needing DI.

Good days for Mustang lovers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back