Ford Racing 5.0L Stroker ShortBlock Swap

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice job, Ray! How is the break in goin? Hope to see it/hear it soon, maybe at Cars and Coffee tomorrow if the weather holds out.

I'll be needing your expertise when I do mine.

rayS197

Reaction score
Nice job, Ray! How is the break in goin? Hope to see it/hear it soon, maybe at Cars and Coffee tomorrow if the weather holds out.

I'll be needing your expertise when I do mine.

Thanks Brady. Looks like a wash out tomorrow. Car ran hot twice but hoping it was resolved using a vacuum coolant filler. No expertise by far but not scared at all now to tackle it again.

used something like this that hooks up to your air compressor.
09544_CAV1.jpg

I should have listened to Ray from the beginning.

Last edited:

rayS197

Reaction score
I picked up a few more parts over the last few months. Tony sold me his ID 725's for a great price and JP sold me a 3.125 pulley for a kick ass price.
Thanks Guys!!!!!

The car used to peg the boost gauge @ 10 psi before the stroker and now its around 8psi pegged. Hopefully the 3.125 pulley should put me back to 10 lbs on the Gen I blower. I was still using the 34 lb injectors that came with the Whipple kit. Wanna make sure there is plenty of fuel. I may have a lead on a used 6-point WolfeCraft Roll Bar (fingers Crossed). Im waiting on some warmer weather to have the car tuned. All the times and fun Brian is having in Florida I cant wait for the season around here.

picture.php

picture.php

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice. I am glad the injectors worked out well for you. I can't wait to see the track numbers this spring, it's going to fly!!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Just because your peak boost goes down doesn't mean you're losing power. It simply means the engine is moving the air more efficiently so there is less back pressure.

And you're welcome to bring the car down any time you like. Orlando Speed World is probably the best hooking track in the state right now since they hired Wade whatshisname away from SGMP last year. It's turning into a first class facility.

rayS197

Reaction score
You are correct and I was probably making just a little more power and TQ than with the stock motor. I wanted to up the boost a little but didnt want to go with too small of a pulley with the 6 rib setup and the 6 rib ATI Balancer I just installed. Im hoping this combo will be the sweet spot.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Depends on the parasitic drag of your supercharger. I've been told the GM guys love the TVS1900 like mine because the rotors are lighter than the 2300 and they don't have belt slipping issues. We've run mine at 14 lbs of boost on a 6 rib belt with no slipping. The only reason I went to an 8 rib setup was so I could get a slightly larger belt.

rayS197

Reaction score
Finally had some decent weather to get the car tuned. Im not too concerned about the numbers as the track is where it matters. Max boost we saw was 11 psi but hung in there around 10psi on all the pulls right where I wanted. Look at the TQ around 3900 rpms. LOL!! Monster!!

rayS197

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I spent some time there and asked Brent (tuner)a shit load of questions. For the race tune we added just a few degrees of timing and some fuel. Around 3900 rpms the TQ was at 550 to 580 on every pull. That should get me going. :clap:

picture.php

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Looks good man. Definitely want to change out that JLT if you havent already. This is what I am running. Seems to be an easy way to go! Definitely a quality piece as well.
y2yjyvas.jpg

rayS197

Reaction score
Thanks. What part number is the Moroso? With only 300 miles on the new motor the JLT isnt catching much at all. Didnt as well on the stocker as you saw in the first pics.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Thanks. What part number is the Moroso? With only 300 miles on the new motor the JLT isnt catching much at all. Didnt as well on the stocker as you saw in the first pics.

It's actually an Allstar performance. Summit and amazon both sells them for $67. It has 2 3/8 npt fitting on it. I used -8an line with push lok fittings. It seems to be pretty substantial. I am firing up the motor this weekend if all goes well. There is no chance of oil going into the intake this way though.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score

Ray, the only way I've gotten the JLT to work marginally well is to use two in series. I picked up a second one used off the forum and have them both tied together on the driver's side PCV line. The second one catches almost as much oil as the first. Maybe if I get three in series then I can catch 95% of the oil.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back