Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hmmm... 5.4L 4V with a TR6060.....

Infamousjim

forum member
Reaction score
I love how that article all but glazed over the fact that $15k buys you nothing but the metal body. I wonder what the full pricetag would be to do a full brand-new car (with reasonable options).

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
bad ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love how that article all but glazed over the fact that $15k buys you nothing but the metal body. I wonder what the full pricetag would be to do a full brand-new car (with reasonable options).

Just showed this to my dad. Hes done his share of restorations and said to doa complete car your looking at probably 45K min, considering you still need a chassis, suspension, engine, trans interior all that good stuff.

Last edited:

kgrun4

forum member
Reaction score
Only convertibles available, no plans for coupe or fastback at this point.

Still needs hood and fenders sheesh...

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dont forget this is just the latest in what Ford has been offering for 2? years now. You can get 67-8 and 69-70 fastback bodies which is mentioned in the article.

Would the final cost of this be much different than trying to restore a rusty original? I doubt it.

Last edited:

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
^My best friend is putting a 4.6 4v in a 69 fastback...Im sure if someone is putting in a 5.4 and a 6060 they don't mind about "hacking"...As long as the end result performs!

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
What they fail to mention is those aren't considered cars in many states. Only replacement parts. Which means you have to already have a VIN from something else in order to use the body. In Ca you can get a vin, but you have to get on a list so at the beginning of the year when they hand them out, hope you get one. If not, SOL. THEN, if you get a VIN, there are other stipulations on whether the car will have to pass smog when it's built. Have I said "fuck Kalifonia" on this forum yet ?

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
Glad I don't live in Commifornia...Id kill my self...I think Texas having inspections is enough bull shit to take me back to Oklahoma! Have I ever said I love the South?

ranger2339

Reaction score
I don't think idea here is to build one of these, but to use it for restoration for a car you have already???

Maybe?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
^My best friend is putting a 4.6 4v in a 69 fastback...Im sure if someone is putting in a 5.4 and a 6060 they don't mind about "hacking"...As long as the end result performs!

engine bay in a '69 is WAY bigger than that of a '66. 351W barely, barely fits in the 1st gen bay. You would have to do Mustang II front suspension and make a new trans tunnel, possibly modify the firewall some as well.

I agree, theres nothing wrong with any of that, but its a lot of work than just dropping it in.

mot250

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a 66 coupe that started life as a straight 6 with 3 spd manual but was a 302v8 auto when I picked it up in '91. Eventually I dropped in a toploader and a 9inch. But I digress...

I eventually started tearing it apart to address all of the rust issues and had the following metal work done:
2 rear fenders
2 rear outer wheel housings
Metal cowl hat sections
Front floors and toe boards to the firewall
Added torque boxes
Repaired trans tunnel that had been butchered for the later model C4
Repaired dash for hacked radio opening
One inner and outer rocker panel
A bunch of other small rust spots were addressed
Subframe connectors

Total in those repairs/upgrades was about $6k including shop labor rates (that goes back about 5 years).

The Dynacorn bodies, however, are all new metal, in some cases it is a thicker gauge than was used in the 60's and has not been fatigued by 40+ years of use/abuse/exposure.

But is that worth the additional $9k difference?

For some, it will be.

It sure would be cool if you've got the coin!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back