V8SRGR8

Cunning Linguist
Reaction score
This happened today.

Oil slick on the floor:
oil1.jpg

Oil that hit the ceiling of the shop:
oil2.jpg

We don't know exactly what happened yet, but something caused a HUGE amount of pressure to build in the motor, blowing the cap out of the valve cover, and shooting about 3 1/2 quarts of oil onto the ceiling of the shop. I'm running a vented catch can, and the motor ran strong with no issues before today. This is VERY preliminary, but it looks like something may have broken in the shortblock. The pistons look ok, and the plugs were fine, but one ring looks funny through the borescope, and that cylinder only has only 30psi compared to 120 in the others. What's weird is that all cylinders on the driver's side vary while the passenger side is perfect compression wise. Pulled the driver's side valve cover, and the cam and springs look normal. So it looks like I'm left with taking the whole fucking thing apart to fix a brand new shortblock.

After going through this very expensive build and today's events, I'm seriously considering stripping the whole damn car and selling it all. There may be a MASSIVE for sale thread coming in the near future. Like I said, FUCK THIS CAR.

Last edited:

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sounds like a lot of blow by, as u said the piston rings should be fried, that sux man, im pretty much in the same cituation after i got a spon bearing that damaged my crank, 2 rods and 1 piston. now i have to spend pretty much as much money to rebuild as i spended previously.

good luck

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
DAMN!!!! I haven't EVER heard of anything like this before. That sucks man, I hope you get the car back up and running.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DEEP BREATH....... Crack a cold one.... sleep on it.........

V8SRGR8

Cunning Linguist
Reaction score
Right, but I'm not dropping that kind of cash again. If the motor truly is trashed, the car's going back to stock and getting sold. I don't have the budget or the patience to build it twice. I spent the cash on the good stuff the first time so this wouldn't happen. We'll see what's inside when it gets torn down, but it doesn't look good.

Last edited:

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
damm that sucks....

I am thinking on parting out the car as well. I have an electrical problem somewhere and cant find it.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not just put an LS3 in it ........ {you>:asshat:<Me} J/K
IK hope Livernoise works it out for ya

Last edited:

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Like stkjock said, deep breath and finish half a handle of your favorite liquor then come back to it in the morning. Good luck dude and I hope its no too serious... On a more positive note, atleast you didn't have to clean the oil off the floor and ceiling... How the hell does it get all the way on the ceiling? lol

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Dude.... I've never seen anything like that either man.. that's fucking insane. I wish you the best man, whatever you decide to do, but either way, take it easy and hopefully it turns out for the best. hell, you may win the lotto tomorrow. :thumb:

DRock

Reaction score
You need to go hunting or something to get the agression out.. Mayb a long fishing trip?

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Shit breaks, the important thing is to find out what caused this to happen in the first place. If it was a pre-built short block, pull everything off and send it back in one piece, they'll be able to determine the cause of failure doing it that way.

Steps

forum member
Reaction score
Don't blame the car man.....Stock it would never do that....

Those of us that push power give something up....the "no issues" factor..

It is what it is...fix it and keep going man!!!

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Knocking on wood....havent had any major issue with mine so far....but could've been worse...could've been a chevy......I had maaad issues with my silverado,and the GF's old trailblaizer.....

Last edited:

V8SRGR8

Cunning Linguist
Reaction score
That sucks man. Who built the block?
I don't want to throw anyone under the bus at this time, but it's a good one.

Shit breaks, the important thing is to find out what caused this to happen in the first place. If it was a pre-built short block, pull everything off and send it back in one piece, they'll be able to determine the cause of failure doing it that way.

That is the plan right now. It's just frustrating as hell to spend well over $10k over 5 months, get it all set up, and have it fail massively when it's all done.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Knocking on wood....havent had any major issue with mine so far....but could've been worse...could've been a chevy......I had maaad issues with my silverado,and the GF's old trailblaizer.....

because of the ford comment, you now will:asshat:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back