Getrag MT-82 in S197

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I have come across a really good deal for a mt-82 out of a 2012 boss and I am wondering if there's any chance I could use it on my 08.

I am not worried about the clutch, i have a mcleod rst and I know they can swap out the inner clutch disc plates for the 26 spline.

I assume I would need a new driveshaft and possibly a custom crossmember bracket, but this trans is so cheap I feel like it would be feasible. Plus, I have always wanted my trans to be a 6 speed just don't have the cash to drop on a tr-6060 or t-56 for now.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Oh ya and I'm already aware of the shitty reviews for the mt-82 but for a cheap price I'm willing to risk it.

Last edited:

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
The mt82 is just not a very robust transmission. You have a SC so you don't need the close gear ratios of the MT82 you'd probably be better off with the higher ratios of the 6060. I put 6060 in mine and two friends just put t56s in theirs we're all SC and all three have slightly different ratios but all got rid of a 3650 and love the change. IMO

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree. There is a reason your getting it dirt cheap. Don't think with the skip shift and electronic features of it will get along with a pre 10 pcm either.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I have come across a really good deal for a mt-82 out of a 2012 boss and I am wondering if there's any chance I could use it on my 08.

I am not worried about the clutch, i have a mcleod rst and I know they can swap out the inner clutch disc plates for the 26 spline.

I assume I would need a new driveshaft and possibly a custom crossmember bracket, but this trans is so cheap I feel like it would be feasible. Plus, I have always wanted my trans to be a 6 speed just don't have the cash to drop on a tr-6060 or t-56 for now.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Oh ya and I'm already aware of the shitty reviews for the mt-82 but for a cheap price I'm willing to risk it.

I'm fairly certain the harness and speed sensor are incompatable.

08Eleanor

08Eleanor
Reaction score
Ok not what I wanted to hear but oh well, time to keep saving for a 6060!

Thanks for the info everyone

ExpatMedic

forum member
Reaction score
The MT-82 is garbage. It's the single biggest factor why I didn't get a newer mustang.

I dont care what the bickering on the internet says - literally *everyone* I know locally with an MT-82 and any sort of racing through it is having problems..from not being able to shift gears under load to being on their 2nd or 3rd transmission under warranty. That is enough for me to stay the heck away from it - at least until Ford actually addresses the problem correctly. I'm still dumbfounded as to why they put that thing in the BOSS.

Flame suit on.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Will it even bolt up?

The electronics cant be that much of an issue. I dont know the specifics but I bet I could make it work. Worse case scenario it may require a small microcontroller.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
The MT-82 is garbage. It's the single biggest factor why I didn't get a newer mustang.

I dont care what the bickering on the internet says - literally *everyone* I know locally with an MT-82 and any sort of racing through it is having problems..from not being able to shift gears under load to being on their 2nd or 3rd transmission under warranty. That is enough for me to stay the heck away from it - at least until Ford actually addresses the problem correctly. I'm still dumbfounded as to why they put that thing in the BOSS.

Flame suit on.

I haven't had one single issue with 600 to the tire. With that being said I would never buy the trans to put in a car lol.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score

You asked. I wouldn't use a TR6060 if it was given to me. A giant steaming pile of dogshit of a transmission. It doesn't matter how much power it can hold if it won't go into gear. Until Tremec figures out how to make it actually shift I'd stay away. It'll be nothing but frustration. Spend a little time searching Shelby forums about all the issues with the TR6060. You'll find Camaro and Challenger owners complaining of the same problems. That was the one thing I absolutely HATED about my GT500. A $50,000 car with a piece of shit transmission in it. And who the hell needs double overdrive anyway?

The MT82 is the smoothest manual transmission I've ever had the pleasure of driving. It goes into gear every time. I never want another Tremec again....ever.

If it were me, I'd stick with a built up TR3650 or maybe a TKO (don't know if there's an S197 application or not). I do agree that making the MT82 fit would probably be more trouble than it's worth though, even though the bellhousing pattern is the same.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
You asked. I wouldn't use a TR6060 if it was given to me. A giant steaming pile of dogshit of a transmission. It doesn't matter how much power it can hold if it won't go into gear. Until Tremec figures out how to make it actually shift I'd stay away. It'll be nothing but frustration. Spend a little time searching Shelby forums about all the issues with the TR6060. You'll find Camaro and Challenger owners complaining of the same problems. That was the one thing I absolutely HATED about my GT500. A $50,000 car with a piece of shit transmission in it. And who the hell needs double overdrive anyway?

The MT82 is the smoothest manual transmission I've ever had the pleasure of driving. It goes into gear every time. I never want another Tremec again....ever.

If it were me, I'd stick with a built up TR3650 or maybe a TKO (don't know if there's an S197 application or not). I do agree that making the MT82 fit would probably be more trouble than it's worth though, even though the bellhousing pattern is the same.

You got blinders on. There are loads of complaints about the MT82. I heard from someone who has been inside one and he said he couldn't believe how cheap the guts are. Crap bearings, flimsy shift forks etc.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
No, I don't have blinders on. There are far more MT82s on the road than there are TR6060s in Mustangs. Do some digging, I think you'll find the percentage of TR6060 problems is quite a bit higher than that of MT82 problems.
Yes, some have had their problems, I'm not trying to discredit that. But it's still a good transmission.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
No, I don't have blinders on. There are far more MT82s on the road than there are TR6060s in Mustangs. Do some digging, I think you'll find the percentage of TR6060 problems is quite a bit higher than that of MT82 problems.
Yes, some have had their problems, I'm not trying to discredit that. But it's still a good transmission.

What year GT500 did you have? Perhaps the 07/08 with the clutch problem that caused hard shifting? I just have to wonder about your statement, because I am on the Shelby forums and don't see lots of complaints. Other than the 07/08 clutch issue, I frankly don't see anyone complaining.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have an 08 6060 and have had zero issues. Shifts great. I'd take one over a 3650 any day.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
What year GT500 did you have? Perhaps the 07/08 with the clutch problem that caused hard shifting? I just have to wonder about your statement, because I am on the Shelby forums and don't see lots of complaints. Other than the 07/08 clutch issue, I frankly don't see anyone complaining.

2010. Check out the 2010-2012 forums. LOTS of grinding, refusal to engage problems.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Thanks for the info - I've guess I've not ever seen that over on SVT. Gotta wonder why, because the 07-09 guys just don't seem to have that problem.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
After tranny issues I've had in the past with the TR3650 (fuckin glass synchros and garbage blocker rings) I would go automatic in a second!
Or that there "magnum" trans they came out with for the S197.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back