Granatelli Motorsports coil packs

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Actually I will be putting a turbo kit on my car shortly, I think ill order a set of the rope kits and get the car dialed in on stock setup and then put the gms ropes in on the dyno and see what it does

rayS197

Reaction score
See what Greg and Jeremy have done. They enjoy speding others $$$. LOL!!! I never saw or heard of them until I went over Gregs. Pretty impressed with just the design of them, but im easy.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Speaking of.....he is over installing the Silent Scope fan shroud, stop on by!

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
So I ordered the wire kit. The factory wires are a couple of springs with a slug of metal inside. The Granatelli are stainless cable with crimped on connectors. The kit comes with new boots.

IMG_0809.jpg

Somehow this got past qc. It still works fine.

IMG_0810.jpg

I put them in. I don't believe I'm writing this but they made a difference in driveability. There was a little stumble when warmed up that's gone. There was alot bigger stumble when it wasn't all the way warmed up thats alot better. I didn't change plug gap, just the wires. Hmmm....
So...did you use the coils or just the wire assys???

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
Looked up the wire assy's on Summitracing...says not to ship till MARCH 16th???? Assume Gran atelli is out at this time?? Also says..only for use with Granatelli coils?????

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but thought it would be a nice recap here of my experience with Granatelli (GMS) Coil on Plugs....

So, here is a summary of this year's racing data from my timeslips with the only power variables being spark plug gap and coils...
  • .045 gap and stock 20K volt coils. Average trap speeds of 112 to 113 mph.
  • .028 gap and stock 20K volt coils. Average trap speeds of 107 to 109 mph. So, with stock coils, just gapping down from .045 to .028 (absolutely no other changes) cost me 4-5 mph through the traps (ouch!).
  • .028 gap and GMS 42K volt coils. Average trap speeds of 111 to 112 mph. The GMS coils got back 3-4 mph of the loss from the tighter gap (nice!).
  • .045 gap and GMS 42K volt coils. Average trap speeds of 113.5 to 114 mph. Widening the gap netted me another 2 mph roughly.
In summary, I am 100% certain that a .045 gap with aftermarket coils is worth about 20-30 rwhp (maybe more) in my car vs .028 gap with stock coils. Looking at my recap above, we're talking about a 5-6 mph improvement in trap speeds between those 2 scenarios. That's very significant no matter how you disect it. And for those who hate GMS for whatever reason, please note that my car went faster through the traps with the GMS coils regardless of which gap you compare. As always, your results may vary, but I feel the GMS coils were money very well spent ($249).​
Thanks for the info!! What part ## cops did you get?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back