GT HID Headlight to GT500 Halogen Headlight

Chino

03 Mach 1 & 08 GT
Reaction score
Just finalizing some parts for the GT500 conversion but I've hit a road block with the headlight situation. My 08 has factory HID's and to purchase GT500 HID's is gonna be north of $1200 for the pair. While that is still an option, I'd like to leave it as the last option. Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction if it's a simple plug and play? I know that their is an additional harness that Ford and LMR sells for those converting to HID from Halogen's so is removing that harness all I will need to do?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Honestly I've had both in my car and car see better with the halogens. The HID lights just don't have the reach. Maybe you could just swap in some LED bulbs to the hologen housings and create the look of HID.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
This is my third car in a row having HID's, and after getting behind the wheel of a halogen equipped car, I had to check to make sure that the lights were even on.

OP - you are swapping HID to halogen? Not sure if serious, or why??

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
This is my third car in a row having HID's, and after getting behind the wheel of a halogen equipped car, I had to check to make sure that the lights were even on.

OP - you are swapping HID to halogen? Not sure if serious, or why??

No, he's looking for GT500 HID installation tech, specifically if they are plug and play. I was just suggesting at 1200 a piece from Ford he may find the "upgrade" not worth it when you consider they can't cast their light any further then a hologen and they are priced thru the roof.

HID lights don't have true high beam, only a focal adjustment that doesn't increase light intensity but rather just changes the beam pattern.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
You're insane if you truly believe HIDs are not any better than Halogen.

I don't think they are 1200 dollar a piece better. I think having had both on my car in rural Texas I can safely give my opinion. They don't light as far out as hologens. Are they better and cleaner up close? Sure, but again, not 1200 a piece better then a good set of halogens.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Recall that the HIDs on cars before '10 are not projector lights. That might have something to do with the OP's opinion.

The projector HIDs on my '11 are some of the best headlights I've ever used.

Chino

03 Mach 1 & 08 GT
Reaction score
The main reason behind going from HID to halogen is that the cost of the HID GT500 headlights will tack on a hefty amount to my GT500 front end conversion. I'm planning to do a projector retrofit down the road so the halogen setup will only be temporary. From what I gathered, I'm simply going to remove the harness that's used for the HID setup and splice in the correct harnesses for the halogen bulbs.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I don't think they are 1200 dollar a piece better. I think having had both on my car in rural Texas I can safely give my opinion. They don't light as far out as hologens. Are they better and cleaner up close? Sure, but again, not 1200 a piece better then a good set of halogens.

OMG, Rural Texas. I can tell you the Rural Texas roads are not as bad as the dual roads in NY. I've had both up there and I would never want to go back to Halogen.

That's your issue, putting HIDs in a housing that isn't designed for them...

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score
I have to say.... the factory 07-09 HID's are really not that good. I don't know if it's a bad design or what. Are they better than halogens.... meh.... I guess. But not much better. I think the different tone of light just makes them seem better in some ways. I definitely don't get that "projector" type brightness from them.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
First off you'd have to buy the GT500 headlight harness which is a given. We've done this before to a customer who didn't want to buy the HID replacement light for his 08 when he got into a wreck. We also reprogrammed the SJB for the proper voltage to be given to the headlights.

Go with the OEM HID's.... it's more expensive and you may disagree, but they are simply fantastic compared to the horrid halogens and are better than any aftermarket HID kit which simply blinds people. Plus they look better in the housing too.

Cobra Drifter

Carbon Driven™
Reaction score
Sorry to go off topic kinda but how would one wire up the 13/14 OEM GT500 HIDs to 07-09 GT500s with OEM HIDs? Would it be simply getting some kind of wiring harness coversion or would have to reprogram the SJB too?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back