05-09 mustang OEM HID conversion how to

Jwood562

Reaction score
05-09 mustang OEM HID conversion how to.

This will be for any 05-09 mustang that came from the factory with halogen headlights and installing factory HID headlights

****Disclaimer**** this is how I did it and you attempting to replicate is your own risk, I do not assume any liability for YOU working on any vehicle. This is my illustrated guide on how I adapted OEM HID headlights to a non HID vehicle.

Parts needed:

OEM HID headlights,

Ballasts

Bulbs

Morimoto h13 motocontrol

D1/D3 to 9005/9006 power cords (2x)

Female 9005/9006 plugs (2x)

eGyPXQw.jpg

373NRbY.jpg

Various wiring tools and equipment, (a way to strip and connect wires) and what ever you want to use to clean up and make it look acceptable to you.

3TYBimB.jpg

Most of the modification will be done on the headlight side

ThgFbPd.jpg

Open and remove the ballast cover to expose the ballast. There are two plugs. The larger thicker wire is for the bulb, that can be left alone unless installing new ballasts. The one with two small wires is the power. Strip off the factory electrical tape on the entire thing. Remove the power plug, small square one. Plug in the new purchased power cord. Replace the ballast into the cover and replace it back onto the headlight and route the new 9005/9006 plug out and leave it exposed.

Ez2XaB1.jpg

mEvS5nj.jpg

rWkb3mt.jpg

Now to focus on the OEM plug side, You can see a white and black wire coming from the OEM brown plug into a wire grommet running into the headlights. This is the high beam actuator wiring. You see two back wires heading into the grommet, they merge into one. Both being grounds. You will need to snip off the OEM ballast plug that you replaced earlier and is now just hanging out and you can now snip the OEM brown plug also.

OYX8ilb.jpg

NOW take your newly purchased female 9005/9006 plug. Connect the white of the factory headlight to the positive of the new plug. On the negative side you can use either black wire or both. I have tested both, either black wire or both will work. I have tested all forms. Connect the black to the black. White to positive (red).

HkiawDd.jpg

Clean up your wiring to your own specs

91rscYS.jpg

Now to the vehicle wiring side. All downhill and easy from here. Believe it or not the hard part is behind me.

Lay out you H13 motocontrol and now you can easily visualize how it is going to go. Again how clean you run the wires is all up to you. There is only a battery connection and two grounds and the factory h13 plug, you will plug in the factory headlight plug from your vehicle into this adapter (please note your driver side plug will remain unplugged and unused. I would recommend taping it up to prevent any accidental grounding or moisture finding its way in. All the plugs are labeled and easy to identify.

XZ4toKw.jpg

I temporarily ran my power and ground and plugged everything in on one side to test both lights

eDxHD2S.jpg

I tested both lights, both high and low beams.

It is normal to hear a buzz from the ballasts when you turn on the low beam, HID ballasts buzz due to the amount of voltage they use/produce to work. Also when you activate the high beam you will hear a click as well as see the difference in light output.

Once you are happy with everything working as it should replace the poor factory light housings and enjoy.

Some install notes. Please replace or upgrade parts before the final install. If you want new bulbs or ballasts, do it now. Prior to the final install. These lights use D3R bulbs, The R in the D3R stands for reflector, these style bulbs are getting a little more difficult to find as most (nearly all) manufacturers have gone to a projector style headlight which use a D3S style bulb. You also cannot use D1R/S style bulbs. Using a D3S bulb may put off a little extra unwanted glare do to a shield being in place on the D3R bulb that is absent on the D3S.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Hi Jwood562,

FYI, I appreciate you providing this post up as this just helped me to diagnose my '09's OEM HID light issue (my LFT HID light would randomly drop out after being energized for a period of time, but would come back on when headlight switch was cycled from "headlamp on" to "park" then back to "headlamp on" & operate perfectly fine for another period of time then randomly shut off so rinse, repeat..........RT HID light operates perfectly fine w\o issue).
I had replaced the D3R bulb in LFT HID light some 4 1\2 yrs back but it didn't resolve this issue (so I know I have a good D3R bulb as spare but at $321.95 + tax back then......) & the online FWM (www.iihs.net\fsm) wiring diagrams don't show the HID light wiring section of the std non-HID headlamp wiring diagram so I tried to not get caught having to drive at night for long periods of time until I could get\take the time to do full scale TS'ing to 1st figure out the OEM HID light wiring control & how it was interfaced into the std non-HID wiring harness.

This is where your post up concerning the OEM HID light onboard control wiring layout you provided came in.......by seeing that it then helped me to figure out what Ford was doing\had done w\ the little HID relay block mounted on PS shock tower by the BEC that does essentially what the MotoControl unit does in your HID conversion writeup so I now know what can cause my LFT HID to randomly drop out.......either 1.) randomly losing SJB control power (WHT wire) to LFT HID relay thus dropping out or 2.) randomly losing HID power to LFT HID light ballast post LFT HID light relay thus dropping out or 3.) randomly losing ground to LFT HID light relay and\or LFT HID light ballast--common ground point between them--thus dropping out or 4.) failing LFT HID light ballast thus randomly dropping out. I've already eliminated #2 & #3 so I only have to eliminate #1 to isolate #4..................

While in process of ID'ing the wiring under the HID relay block section today, I pulled both #54 & #55 20A fuses in BEC (12v+ to both HID light relays to both HID light ballasts when both LFT\RT headlamp low beam SJB controls energizes the LFT\RT HID light relays) & noted that both of these fuse's blade terminals were oxidizing (blades turning black from high extended heat & open to air) so I cleaned all w\ contact cleaner then coated both fuse blade terminals w\ dielectric grease as well as the BEC terminals they plugged into. When I turned the HID's back on to test after wiring ID verification\fuse terminal cleanup & reinstall, I noticed that the LFT HID light was now shining brighter\stable than it was prior doing this ID work (was slightly dimmer w\ noticeable slight flickering) w\ the RT HID light showing no change...............hhhhhmmmm.........

Gonna run some tests this evening to see if the LFT HID light still drops out.......may have inadvertently just "fixed this" by reestablishing good clean connection to LFT HID light 12v+ fuse terminals (fuse #54) in BEC so LFT HID light ballast stops overworking to make up the lost amperage from current droop & tripping its internal circuit board overheat protection........ These fuses look to have been the original 20A fuses in BEC thus in service some 14+ yrs & have never been pulled prior today!

So from seeing this, I went thru the BEC & started pulling fuses to check, clean, coat & reinstall to remove\prevent any further potential terminal oxidation......got thru approx 2\3 of them before my back pains got the best of me so I shut it down for the day......got approx 20 left to do to get them all done (have already done this to all the relays located in BEC prior today) so I can safely remove this part from future TS'ing considerations (BEC gets a lot of under hood heat cycling on it as opposed to the SBJ).

Once again, thanks for your writeup!
:beer:

StanMan03

Reaction score
05-09 mustang OEM HID conversion how to.

This will be for any 05-09 mustang that came from the factory with halogen headlights and installing factory HID headlights

****Disclaimer**** this is how I did it and you attempting to replicate is your own risk, I do not assume any liability for YOU working on any vehicle. This is my illustrated guide on how I adapted OEM HID headlights to a non HID vehicle.

Parts needed:

OEM HID headlights,

Ballasts

Bulbs

Morimoto h13 motocontrol

D1/D3 to 9005/9006 power cords (2x)

Female 9005/9006 plugs (2x)

eGyPXQw.jpg

373NRbY.jpg

Various wiring tools and equipment, (a way to strip and connect wires) and what ever you want to use to clean up and make it look acceptable to you.

3TYBimB.jpg

Most of the modification will be done on the headlight side

ThgFbPd.jpg

Open and remove the ballast cover to expose the ballast. There are two plugs. The larger thicker wire is for the bulb, that can be left alone unless installing new ballasts. The one with two small wires is the power. Strip off the factory electrical tape on the entire thing. Remove the power plug, small square one. Plug in the new purchased power cord. Replace the ballast into the cover and replace it back onto the headlight and route the new 9005/9006 plug out and leave it exposed.

Ez2XaB1.jpg

mEvS5nj.jpg

rWkb3mt.jpg

Now to focus on the OEM plug side, You can see a white and black wire coming from the OEM brown plug into a wire grommet running into the headlights. This is the high beam actuator wiring. You see two back wires heading into the grommet, they merge into one. Both being grounds. You will need to snip off the OEM ballast plug that you replaced earlier and is now just hanging out and you can now snip the OEM brown plug also.

OYX8ilb.jpg

NOW take your newly purchased female 9005/9006 plug. Connect the white of the factory headlight to the positive of the new plug. On the negative side you can use either black wire or both. I have tested both, either black wire or both will work. I have tested all forms. Connect the black to the black. White to positive (red).

HkiawDd.jpg

Clean up your wiring to your own specs

91rscYS.jpg

Now to the vehicle wiring side. All downhill and easy from here. Believe it or not the hard part is behind me.

Lay out you H13 motocontrol and now you can easily visualize how it is going to go. Again how clean you run the wires is all up to you. There is only a battery connection and two grounds and the factory h13 plug, you will plug in the factory headlight plug from your vehicle into this adapter (please note your driver side plug will remain unplugged and unused. I would recommend taping it up to prevent any accidental grounding or moisture finding its way in. All the plugs are labeled and easy to identify.

XZ4toKw.jpg

I temporarily ran my power and ground and plugged everything in on one side to test both lights

eDxHD2S.jpg

I tested both lights, both high and low beams.

It is normal to hear a buzz from the ballasts when you turn on the low beam, HID ballasts buzz due to the amount of voltage they use/produce to work. Also when you activate the high beam you will hear a click as well as see the difference in light output.

Once you are happy with everything working as it should replace the poor factory light housings and enjoy.

Some install notes. Please replace or upgrade parts before the final install. If you want new bulbs or ballasts, do it now. Prior to the final install. These lights use D3R bulbs, The R in the D3R stands for reflector, these style bulbs are getting a little more difficult to find as most (nearly all) manufacturers have gone to a projector style headlight which use a D3S style bulb. You also cannot use D1R/S style bulbs. Using a D3S bulb may put off a little extra unwanted glare do to a shield being in place on the D3R bulb that is absent on the D3S.
What year is your mustang? Because mine is a 2008 and I have read the conversion might be different from a 2005-07 vs 08-09? Also what are the exact parts you bought for the build and where did you find them I have the headlights and the ballast that come with them and also the bulbs but I do not have the harness for a HID car. I would appreciate it very much if you could help guide me as I know very little about wiring.

Jwood562

Reaction score
Mine is a 2008.

The write up I did will work on any 05-09 mustang that came with halogen headlights.

I used factory hid lights with factory ballasts.

The brains of the conversion is the morimoto moto control that will plug into the factory h13 plugs of the vehicle.

All the wiring is pretty easy to do and the parts I used are all listed above

Jwood562

Reaction score
Link to Ballasts plugs

XINGYHENG 2Pcs D1S D2S D3S D4S to 9005 9006 Wiring Harness Socket Adapter Connector for Headlight Fog Light Conversion Adapter Cable https://a.co/d/5CB5wus

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back