Votes: 2 8.3%
  • other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
I am looking at a new heat exchanger for my KB 2.6L. I have the Bosch Cobra intercooler pump and GT500 reservoir, which I will be keeping for now. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, all with fans (Texas, y'all). One is triple pass (Steeda), the others are double pass. All are very close in price.
I am looking for advice on which one is the most efficient/well built, but reliability and (to some extent) noise level are also factors.
Thanks! All opinions welcome!

Steeda triple
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-mustang-triple-pass-heat-exchanger.html

Afco
http://www.americanmuscle.com/afco-proxchanger-fans-0712gt500.html

Shelby
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/product.asp?itemid=11980&gclid=CM_KovbBrLcCFU8V7AodJGsA5g

Last edited:

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
Sorry. I added the poll at the last second. I was hoping for some tech discussion about the heat exchangers. Can a mod remove the poll for me?

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
OK. Now that this is in the right section, can anyone give feedback on any of these heat exchangers? I've been leaning toward the Afco, but the triple pass steeda is looking good. Both have dual fans.

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
my question is for those of us who have a duel pass heat exchanger. were can we just get a dual fan setup to attach to it. I've looked around but haven't found just the fans and the harness setup.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Get the Afco.

That said, nothing you can buy will be big enough.
Yah meth/water or a killer chiller seem like the only real solutions for the heat sink that is this blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I read somewhere Steeda is claiming more efficiency than the others...they posted up some charts...

It merits some research for sure - especially since the pricing is similar.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Even though the steeda is triple pass?

I’m not completely sold on the whole dual-triple pass thing.

All of our custom heat exchangers are dual pass. But it is mainly because packaging is easier with both fittings on the same side.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I’m not completely sold on the whole dual-triple pass thing.

All of our custom heat exchangers are dual pass. But it is mainly because packaging is easier with both fittings on the same side.

Are you selling any yet? If so...links?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
This. I have the afco dual with fans. But I would like one double the size Lol.

There is no such thing as enough. I'm running heat exchangers with 5x the capacity and a LOT more surface area than the Afco and if I had somewhere to put more I would.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
There is no such thing as enough. I'm running heat exchangers with 5x the capacity and a LOT more surface area than the Afco and if I had somewhere to put more I would.

I'll buy that...but more (bigger) is definitely better.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Are you selling any yet? If so...links?

No. Were not even sure we will. To go bigger then the Afco they stop being “bolt-ons” and they won’t be any less expensive.

If we do any it won’t be for a year, they will be very complex (fencing, etc) and will require some minor fabrication.

We do have some other cooling stuff in the works that are pretty big gains though. At least as much as a bigger heat exchanger (once there is a good size one in play). Right now we are testing where it is best to spend your “cooling dollars” at. My car is all sensor’d (is that a word?) up and we are running through a list of parts to test. We’ve run up against the limit of heat exchanger size, pump capacity, etc. Were looking at other things now. Tricky things.:naughty1:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'll buy that...but more (bigger) is definitely better.

I agree 100%. But to go bigger the custom/fabrication gets plain bonkers.

I've got a second heat exchanger in the trunk, that is bigger than the Afco, which is fed by NACA ducts in the quarter windows and exhausts through a grill that is all the surface area between the taillights. It moves a LOT of air at speed and a good amount at a standstill/low speeds with the fans running. There is an amazing amount of work that went into the setup. I don't have any good pics, we just got the car finished and back from the dyno. I may be able to snap some tomorrow.

The front heat exchanger, which is MASSIVE has at least 40-50 man hours of fabrication into it.

The system has two 55gpm pumps in there too.:roflmao:

It was good for testing, learning, etc. But WOW! There are not to many people/shops that have the ability to replicate something like this. And unless it is a "race car", you wouldn't want to.

The biggest/easiest (but not easy) way of improvement it to completely fence in the heat exchanger. We have seen 25-30% improvements in HE efficiency doing this. And big pumps do work.

The most realistic non fab shop setup would be a big over the counter HE with fans, all fenced in, true 3/4" lines with no sharp 90deg fittings, 55gpm pump and a good water tank located where the battery goes. After this there are improvements, but they get harder hand harder to find.

Aside from the tricky stuff we are testing right now. We are working on some out of the box stuff.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Back