HELP! Any way to tame MAC Boom Tubes? (maybe MAC pro chamber midpipe)?

Professor

forum member
Reaction score
My 2009 GT/CS is basically stock except a CAI and a tune. I wanted something deep and old/school (think Bullitt movie) but not raspy. After listening to countless exhaust clips and hearing several in person, I landed on MAC Boom Tubes and installed them.

They look great and sound great. At idle, they sound nasty (I wish the car was half as nasty fast as it sounds). It's a deep burble. There is no drone (that irritating buzzy resonance). I love the old-school muscle car sounds it makes in between shifts. Outside of the car nets smiles and compliments whether at idle or cruising between redlights. I get compliments at car shows and people want to see what is under the hood (ironically ... it's basically stock).

However, just cruising around, anytime the rpms climb above the 2500 mark, it sounds like a NASCAR drive by. Just a mild 3000-4000 rpm shift sounds like I am all over the throttle. Inside the car, it isn't droning, but it is definitely loud. I really wanted to deepen the sound, but I am not looking for negative attention, especially from neighbors and LEO's. I knew it was a muffler-less cat back system, but I thought the resonators would tone things down a bit (like my 03 Marauder).

I love the timbre of the sound, I just need to turn the volume down from 11 down to a reasonable 7 or so both inside and outside. So what are my options? Here is what I am considering:

1) Add a MAC Pro-Chamber clamp on mid-pipe. The reviews online imply that it "mellows" the sound (it basically looks like a mid-mount muffler). I think this will allow me to preserve the timbre of the sound while turning it down a few notches. Am I wrong?

2) Add a Hushmat trunk kit. This won't decrease the negative attention, but it might drop a few decibels out of the interior. I hope.

3) Have a custom muffler welded at the mid pipe. This could reduce the volume. If I am careful not to pick something too restrictive, I don't think it will dramatically affect hp/torque. Do I run the risk of adding drone to the equation?

4) Adding some small resonators on each line.

5) Going back to stock. I hate this option because stock the car sounded like an air pump breathing through a straw.

Anyway ... I am open to suggestions. I did several searches online and on the forum with little help. Thanks in advance!

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Since you said the car is basically stock minus the CAI/Tune, that means you have a factory midpipe. Putting the Pro Chamber on is going to increase "flow" aka velocity which will increase the volume. Anything besides a factory midpipe is going to increase the volume.

I would try the resonator route and search on the forum what folks here have used.

Start here:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108837&highlight=Resonators

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
+1 or resonators.

Im a little biased but youll be happier with pypes m80s. Theyre about 50 bucks a piece and are stainless steel. I ran an offroad h pipe, m80s, and pypes resonator tips (Im pretty sure they have a different name but theyre the same as the boom tubes) and it wasnt too loud but then again Im used to having no cats lol. Even a cheap resonator will tone it down some. 07boss has cherry bombs mid mounted with flowmaster outlaws, maybe pm him about how adding resonators affected his exhaust.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A prochamber will change the sound of the car for sure. I ran a prochamber on an old school 5.0 I had and then a catalytic H-pipe after it. Totally changed the sound of the car when I took it off. Sounded way better with the prochamber.

May quiet it a little, probably not a lot.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I have/had the exact same set up. I went with the FRPP x-pipe. It seemed to quiet or smooth out what you are talking about. Most of what you are heating is because our cars have terrible sound deadening compared to cars even a few years newer. You can do a resonator but you may have other issues associated with that altogether. It is a tight fit down there and lots of stuff can come into contact with a resonator or straight thru tube muffler that hangs too low.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Our cars all have that sharp trumpet at at 2500-3k when you start opening the exhaust up.
Mid mufflers will quiet it down.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
If you don't want drone, stay away from a Pro Chamber and those Boomtubes ..

I agree with 07gts, install a mid-mounted resonator, I ran Boomtubes for a while and used a pair of SLP LM2's with them, best sounding exhaust I had on the car, and I've tried a lot of combo's.

I would still be running that setup if it didn't drag on everything since my car sits low..

The M80's are similar to the SLP LM2 and 1/2 the price ...

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you don't want drone, stay away from a Pro Chamber and those Boomtubes ..

I agree with 07gts, install a mid-mounted resonator, I ran Boomtubes for a while and used a pair of SLP LM2's with them, best sounding exhaust I had on the car, and I've tried a lot of combo's.

I would still be running that setup if it didn't drag on everything since my car sits low..

The M80's are similar to the SLP LM2 and 1/2 the price ...

If running a prochamber with an O/R mid pipe, I can then understand your concern about drone.. However if the stock cats/mid pipe are still in place, there is no drone.. I actually ran a high-flow catted prochamber with Pypes Violator axle backs and never experienced any drone at all..

Just saying..

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Theres boss, man thats old school but cool. Hows it sound now?

I can understand (and forgot) if youre lowered you will have clearance issues, which Im not, but having the mufflers fit is not an issue. Ive seen people run borla stingers mid mounted and theyre not as thin as slp or m80 straight throughs.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Theres boss, man thats old school but cool. Hows it sound now?

I can understand (and forgot) if youre lowered you will have clearance issues, which Im not, but having the mufflers fit is not an issue. Ive seen people run borla stingers mid mounted and theyre not as thin as slp or m80 straight throughs.

Old school for an old fart. You should see what I'm building now.

Sounds loud as fuck but now is more refined with less trumpeting. Even with my stupid low CJ RA springs I don't think I have any marks on those. But all of my clearance issues are up front. When I used to swap in my catted mid-pipe I used to bang the cats but they were right behind the front wheels. With my raked stance there is plenty of room farther back.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
I have a set for sale, just like the ones that 07 boss is running. New in the box, if any interest. Pm me.
They're Flow tech red hots. 2.5" in and out.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back