Suggestions on exhaust set up on 07 Pony Package Convertible V6.

SoCloseTooFar

Reaction score
Hello, I have been meaning to do more modifications on my car to help increase performance, power, and sound. This is my first car and I thought I'd go the distance with it and really make it my own.

I have a 2007 Mustang, Pony Package, convertible. Right now I have the Flowmaster Thunder Axle-Back exhaust and the rest of the car is stock. I am trying to decide whether I should get this performance package or if I should get separate pieces and put them together. What I am mostly concerned about is the level of noise that I would hear while driving since I have a convertible if I did change out my exhaust system.

I don't want to blow my eardrums driving down the highway or on roadtrips though, so like a nice noticeable sound that'll maybe turn heads but mainly keep me enjoying the ride feeling/hearing the sound of my exhaust.

Please feel free to give me advice or any input on what I should do. Since I am new to modifying cars in general, I really have no idea what would work best. I have watched videos on youtube and done light research but I thought it'd be best to get some advice/answers from others who have already modified their cars. I appreciate it a lot!

These are the options I thought of going with. If you have any other ideas please feel free to let me know! Much appreciated again.

Performance Package:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-power-pack-v6.html#

Pypes Violator True Dual Cat-Back Exhaust with Polished Tips:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-2005v6-truedual-catback.html

Pypes True Dual Mid-Muffler Cat-Back Exhaust with Polished Tips:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-midmuffler-truedual-catback-0510v6.html

I plan to set up the exhaust with a CAI and tune it as well. So if anyone knows of a good combination or a combination that would make the car sound aggressive and also improve the power that would be amazing. I realize this also might be asking too much, or maybe it isn't, I don't know much so I'm clueless.

Also price isn't an issue since I am planning to take my time with this and get it done right (hopefully) the first time. "Measure twice, cut once" type of deal.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Been there done that. Save your money. The only real improvement is appearance. (Dual exhaust) It will always sound like a v6.
A tune helps with throttle response, but thats about it. No real power gains there for a 4.0.
I would look at other brands for exhaust over Pypes. Had the pypes shortie headers and dual x conversion. The stainless rusted, fit was poor, lasted a few years before a muffler hanger broke.
My other dual conversion option was Ford racing, should have gotten that over pypes.

OldMuscle

Reaction score
Since this is your first car and it sounds like you are planning on a "really make it my own" journey, I might suggest that you take the long view for the mods. The order in which you make the mods that you decide "are worth it" is especially important. My experience tells me that a good plan (with lot's of research - which is what you are doing here) makes the most sense. Hopefully you will end up with something that you like (a lot) without a major misstep(s) that cost you way too much money and results in a lousy driving experience.

I bought my first ever Mustang (2007 V6 convertible w/103k mi) in Jan 2020 (dirt cheap from a dealer that needed tires/brakes/shocks) which already had the "Pypes True Dual Mid-Muffler Cat-Back Exhaust with Polished Tips" installed. I am an old gear head (and like a V8 sound) and I have to say the sound of the Pypes exhaust note on my V6 doesn't make me puke. A big cammed V8 sound - NO. A rice-burner sound - definitely NO. My very nice, nerdy neighbor (I really do like him) was surprised to find out it was a V6 (stock) and not a V8. The Pypes exhaust is not rusted out and it does appear to be stainless. Maybe that "dual" look and change in sound is very important to you and worth $600 or so + in$tall. That's what makes America great - you get to do what makes sense to you.

I agree 100% with Juice on 2 points: Save your money ... in regards to expecting significant performance improvement from dual exhaust and tune for your V6. Does that mean "Don't do it"? Take a look at the long run and decide what's better - modify this one to high heaven or just keep it in cherry shape, save up and get something else (or a little of both).

1) Although my car came with the Pypes exhaust that you referenced above - I can say that I have read nothing - anywhere - that says you will have a significant performance gain from adding duals. Don't expect a performance improvement after you add "duals" and you won't be disappointed.

2) Tune: I had a tune done on my V6 and knew what to expect: EXACTLY what Juice points out. Even though some tune reviews were "ecstatic about their before & after," my experience is that V6 throttle response is noticeably improved with a little better mid-range power. But does it really "take off" now? Is it significantly more powerful"? Not really - but it is a little more fun to drive. I didn't expect a night & day difference so I wasn't disappointed.

What do you REALLY want? If it is a powerful Mustang, all I can say is that a big change in horse power is outside the scope of my response. I just wanted a good looking Mustang that was very reliable, was fun to drive and wasn't a total pig in the handling department. (So why did I buy convertible? LOL - but read far below).

Before I paid a local shop for a tune, I added a BBK CAI AFTER all of the maintenance stuff: Spark plugs / Trans oil & filter change / Trans band adjustment / diff oil change / brake fluid change / power steering fluid change / cooling system flush & fill / oil & filter). Performing all of those "Must Do" maintenance items will give you plenty of experience and (if you are like me) a lot of satisfaction. You should feel proud that anyone asking about (buying) your car will see exactly what service was performed and when it was last performed. After doing all of that "Must Do" work: It will feel like "you made it your own" without any additional mods.

I mentioned earlier that I didn't want my convertible to handle like a "total pig". Since I didn't have a roof (and all the research said because of "that" the convertibles were "stiffness compromised") I decided to take action before I even considered buying a suspension kit (no rear sway bar on my V6). After a lot of looking and phone calls to several vendors I took the car to Stifflers (Innovative Performance Technologies) just south of Indianapolis and had the Stiffler FIT frame stiffening system welded in along with their redesigned S197 convertible rear braces. I also had them install the Stiffler Adjustable Panhard bar and the Stiffler front K-member brace.

If the tune provided a noticeably improved throttle response, the Stiffler FIT system and redesigned convertible braces was a game changer. The car was instantly a better handling car - dramatically more predictable & just plain fun to drive. (Brian Stiffler has Indy car experience and answered my call/questions personally - I have no affiliation w/him or Stifflers).

The point here isn't that you should install the 2015 GT tires/wheel combo take-offs ($450 eBay), Shelby GT 14" rear brakes, 2015 FoMoCo 4 piston front calipers w/14" rotors, 1.25" Vogtland lowering springs, J&M caster/camber plates, tall ball joints, bump steer kit, and align it yourself like I did ... The point is: decide where you want to go ... how much you want to spend and research whether you can realistically get there without breaking the bank (or your will to live).

I have a 1969 Cutlass convertible for my "muscle" fix. The 1.25" lower 2007 V6 convertible Mustang is just right for me: great looks, decent handling, great brakes, super reliable and loads of fun to drive.

Good luck making it your own!
S197 Lowered 18in wheels-2a.jpg Stiffler Fit.jpg

Stiffler Vert Brace1.jpg PS - I made this 2007 Mustang "My Own" by adding a trunk release button - What the hell was Ford thinking? $15 for a used 2010(?) Taurus switch, $3 worth epoxy, console power cut-off switch, sandpaper/file and 4hours of fitment! I must be getting old - no remote trunk switch is just not tolerable!

S197 trunk release.jpg

Flusher

Reaction score
I went the other way on the tune. My '05 V6 came with a JLT CAI and an unknown tune. I had the dealership flash the tune back to original and I installed an OE air filter assembly for emissions purposes.

At first I didn't notice much difference. After driving it for a few weeks, I can definitely say that I miss the throttle response, the up shifts and down shifts are a lot slower, and in general, it feels like the stock tune, compared to whatever was in it before, took a lot of fun out of the car.

I feel that, with the tune my car had before, it could at least run with my wife's '14 V6. Without the tune, it doesn't feel much different than the suckboxes that I had been religated to driving for the past 20 years.

A few months ago, I upgraded to a '07 GT500. Now both V6s feel painfully slow. I can definitely see wanting to kick the performance up a knotch or three.

I think the factory airbox with an upgraded filter element is a better choice than any open element CAI, unless you prefer the look (assuming you are not hindered by emissions restrictions). The engine itself won't benefit from a larger MAF unless modified extensively to demand more airflow. Even then, you have to flow a whole lot of air to take advantage of the larger MAF housings. If noise is your thing, a CAI could add more intake noise that you may or may not find appealing.

Again, if you are not required to meet emissions standards, I would go with a set of long tube headers. My son has a '12 V6 (I know, a completely different engine) with cams, long tubes, X-pipe, into Corsa Sports. It sounds pretty wicked and runs pretty hard for what it is.

My GT500 has what appears to be Magnaflow Competition Series cat back system with 3" pipes coming off a 2.5" H into round body mufflers. It is very quiet everywhere except cold start, which of course pisses off all my neighbors at 4am, when I go to work. In fact, it is so quiet that the valve train clatter at idle is annoying and I can't hear the exhaust at all.

I have installed a lot of 40 and 50 series Flowmasters. Honestly I really don't like the sound of 40 series on anything but gasoline V8s. I especially don't like them on 4-cylinder and 6s with true dual exhaust. According to https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/exhaust_systems/flowmaster/american_thunder/parts/17421, you might have the 60 series, which IMHO sound much better on the 6s, because of the deeper tone.

It's really difficult to guess what you would like best. Here is what I would do:
1.) If you are impacted by emissions inspection, DO NOT remove your emissions equipment and purchase complaint parts.
2.) Search YouTube for exhaust soundbites and watch on a device with good audio. Hearing for yourself is the only way you can make an educated decision. Don't expect significant gains though.
3.) While "making it your own," consider better/wider rims/tires, suspension, and brakes. That's performance you will feel.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back