Help can't shift into gear!

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
I just replaced a cracked bellhousing and clutch on my 07 gt. also got a hurst shifter as well. Got everything back together. But now the car won't shift into gear at all! Everything looks fine?? When doing the bellhousing I undid the torx bits and removed the springs and follower looking thing for the shift rails so I could slip the bellhousing on and off. Put them all back in how they were. And tightened them. I know when I put the trans up it was in neutral and I could spin the tail shaft. Now I can't? And the driveshaft is still off. Any help would be appreciated!

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
If you turn the engine via the balancer, does the tail shaft also turn forward and backward when you're in what you think is "neutral"?

If it does turn, can you you hold the tailshaft in place while someone turns the balancer?

If you push in the clutch, can you turn the tailshaft?

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a proper torque for the torx bits with the springs and detents balls? Cause I just tightened them

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
In the 3650's I've rebuilt, I've just applied the.sealant to the plugs, putting them in finger tight using torx bit, and then 1/4 turn. The detents have to float on the spring pressure. If you torqued them down, you could be preventing fork movement.

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I made them real tight and used red loctite

Last edited:

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
Torqued them all the way

Spun the balancer and tail shaft spins with it. So it must be in gear

And with clutch In still can't spin the tailshaft

Last edited by a moderator:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
When you removed the bellhousing, did you also remove the tailshaft? Or did you just undo the bellhousing bolts/plugs/detents, and pull upward to separate everything?

In any case, if I were me, it would be time to take everything back apart.

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
Just bellhousing, detents and springs from the top and pulled from the top

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
I have all three torx bolts, springs and detents and still won't get out of gear?? Should it not be able to get into gear with them out of the shift rails way?!?

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I have all three torx bolts, springs and detents and still won't get out of gear?? Should it not be able to get into gear with them out of the shift rails way?!?

The detents keep the shift forks from jumping, but it sounds like you're binding somewhere.

Silly question; When you installed your shifter, how tight did you tighten down the various bolts? If you torqued them down to the point they can't move, that would explain a lot.

If that's all good, it's time to pull the transmission out, verify that you're not causing the binding because of a clutch install problem, and a problem caused during the replacement of the bell housing.

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
Well I tightened them snug. I ruled out a shifter problem by disconnecting the two bolts attached to the trans and tried to shift the trans by the lever attached to the trans. Nada. I just pulled the trans again gonna rip the bell off again and report back

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
Well got it out the car was in gear. I manually pulled the shift forks to position them in neutral

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
I've must've pushed one or two of the shift rails down when I put the bellhousing on. Stupid mistake lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Practice makes perfect! :thumb:
Watch out for the wiring harness. I pinched mine good when putting my transmission in and had to go back and splice all the wires back together.

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
Yup did that once before on my older mustangs haha learned from that

Grannycar

forum member
Reaction score
Got the car back on the road drives great!! Just have to find a vacuum bleeder to get all the air out of the slave. Grabs pretty low

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back