Help can't shift into gear!

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Got the car back on the road drives great!! Just have to find a vacuum bleeder to get all the air out of the slave. Grabs pretty low

Glad to hear you got your problems figured out! The slave cylinder will bleed itself out after a few miles of driving.

Charly

Reaction score
Today I was pushing the GT really hard and red lined it in first, wouldn't go into second, got it into third then after that it will not go into any gear. It is in neutral and car rolls freely, had to be flat bedded, any ideas.

The engine is fine, it is as if the shifter gates (Hurst 5 Speed) don't exist. Any ideas suggestions

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Today I was pushing the GT really hard and red lined it in first, wouldn't go into second, got it into third then after that it will not go into any gear. It is in neutral and car rolls freely, had to be flat bedded, any ideas.

It sounds like the clutch isn't releasing. Either the throwout bearing has gone or the slave cylinder doesn't have the correct preload. Unfortunately the tranny will have to come out to fix it either way.

Charly

Reaction score
TY for your insight, better that than a tranny rebuild.

Jack F

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me recently. Trashed the slave cylinder under very aggressive driving conditions. Do as Midlife Crises suggests and see if it will go into gear with the engine off. Sure sign of a failed slave. Also, if you start the engine does the starter pull the car forward. Also a sign of a failed slave.

The slave cylinder will bleed itself out after a few miles of driving.

This is completely incorrect. It must be bled manually.

Reaction score
I used to have this problem getting my car into third since then I had my clutch replaced and transmission worked on. A more heavy-duty clutch was installed and a plus since now I have the Supercharger.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Can you get it in gear when the engine is not running?

If the slave cylinder or throwout bearing goes out, the only time when you'd be able to shift gears IS when the engine's off. If the tranny is stuck in gear even with the engine off, you can almost guarantee the reason is a bent shift fork.
Until @Grannycar gets the problem fixed, he'll have to learn how to granny shift. ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back