Help me help a friend with a V6 coolant leak

vjz

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a friend who is not car savvy in the least, but has a 2006 Mustang V6.

The car is nice and has 109k on the clock.

It has a coolant leak that I just cannot pinpoint.

You can hear hissing from near the intake manifold area, with steam occasionally.

The leak is (as you are facing the engine) to the left near the lower side of the block, but I can't tell where its coming from.

He has, unfortunately, just been using water because he has no money to keep buying coolant or to get the car fixed by a shop.

With the coolant cap off, the tank shakes and bounces from air in the system so bad. I've never seen burping to this extent.

Where should I begin? Simple fix? Head gasket?

RunnerInTheNight

forum member
Reaction score
I cracked mine, cept I blew a hole in it 100 miles from home, not a pricey but not a cheap fix. Common failure.

The tanks seem to leak from the cap a little regardless of how much you change the cap. Gone thru 3 myself.

Four.O

forum member
Reaction score
I feel like I have the same. It looks like it's coming from the water pump, but I replaced it and it seems to have surfaced again. I hope you get your answer soon so I can too! I'm guessing T-housing but it looks fine..

JimC

Reaction score
When the thermostat housing goes it is typically a split on the back side, so you can't really see it all that well on the car.

DSC03324.jpg

DSC03322.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back