Help on specs

Max70

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals, I need some help on certain specs about suspensions, shocks and springs.

I live in Europe so getting things is already hard, frustrating and very expensive over here, so please bare with me if I'm a little insisting on this issue. I also tried the search engine before posting but could not find any related topic (maybe I used wrong keywords)

So my issue is the following, I have a 2006 V6 4.0 which when I purchased it seems it was already modified aesthetically, but also had the suspensions altered, so I found out that it has KONI orange struts on the front with blue springs which are I guess 1.5" lower and the same is for the rear with the springs. I only guessed they are lowering springs because there is only like 13 cms (approx 5" ) from the pinch rail to the ground. the ride is also hard, you can feel every damage on the road and when I try to push down the car at the front fender, it doesn't move at all (not even half an inch).

My problem is that since it came with big 20" Shelby wheels which are also beautiful and do not want to change them, they are also wide and are exactly in line with the fender arch.

Now when I went to a garage to check about new shocks or coilovers the seller asked me if I know the height of the car from ground to wheel arches with stock suspensions and stock wheels, so he can calculate the difference from stock to what I have now and can adapt new suspensions (either struts & springs or coil overs.

Is there anyone that can give me this information or lead me toa source?>

I need the following measurements, always with all parts stock (wheels and suspensions).

• Front, fender arch to ground
  • Rear, fender arch to ground
  • wheel external diameter (front and rear)
  • measurement from middle of wheel the fender arch (front and back)
The following pictures are of my present configuration.

I kindly need all the assistance I can get.

THANKS!!

2019-04-27 16.09.20.jpg

2021-08-17 09.37.53.jpg

IMG_4492-sml.jpg

07 Boss

Reaction score
Putting new shocks or struts in shouldn't change the ride height. If you get coil overs just make sure it has adjustable spring perches and you can adjust the ride height yourself.

What are you trying to adapt on the suspension? Do you want a softer ride? Are you looking to raise the car?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
My car's a GT but it has stock springs/shocks/struts and stock diameter tires (255/45R18) on 18" chromed Bullitt rims (770 revolutions per mile), so it's essentially at stock ride height. At the front I have GT500 strut mounts. All four tires are inflated to the factory recommended 32psi.
The measurements are as follows with no occupants and no cargo:

Ground to top of fender arch (vertical):

Left front: 720mm
Right front: 725mm
Left rear: 730mm
Right rear: 730mm

Center of wheel to top of fender arch (vertical):

Left front: 395mm
Right front: 400mm
Left rear: 405mm
Right rear: 405mm

Hope that helps.

Max70

Reaction score
My car's a GT but it has stock springs/shocks/struts and stock diameter tires (255/45R18) on 18" chromed Bullitt rims (770 revolutions per mile), so it's essentially at stock ride height. At the front I have GT500 strut mounts. All four tires are inflated to the factory recommended 32psi.
The measurements are as follows with no occupants and no cargo:

Ground to top of fender arch (vertical):

Left front: 720mm
Right front: 725mm
Left rear: 730mm
Right rear: 730mm

Center of wheel to top of fender arch (vertical):

Left front: 395mm
Right front: 400mm
Left rear: 405mm
Right rear: 405mm

Hope that helps.

Thanks very much m8, I will keep your measurements as reference, I will try to wait for maybe someone with everything stock (including wheels) so I can have more data to compare to.

Max70

Reaction score
Putting new shocks or struts in shouldn't change the ride height. If you get coil overs just make sure it has adjustable spring perches and you can adjust the ride height yourself.

What are you trying to adapt on the suspension? Do you want a softer ride? Are you looking to raise the car?

I would like to have a slightly comfortable ride, since as it is its very hard, as I said if you try and push the car down from the fender it won't move at all. I also would like to keep its present height, since it looks good. Higher it will not look as aggressive and lower I will have problems with ramps.

The previous owner changed the stock struts and springs to the existing ones, most probably to lower the ride, making it look better, but in doing so, it hardened the ride making it a nightmare on uneven roads.

All I want to achieve is, keeping the current height, make the ride more comfortable but at the same time not too much bouncy (soft springs / shocks) so the wheels won't travel much upwards since they are in line with the fender arch and I'm not sure if the wheels can touch the arch. From the picture you can notice the little clearance the tire has from the arch and it is in line with it, so I'm afraid that if the wheel travels up alot with a soft spring, the tire might damage the fender.

IMG_5976-sml.jpg

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
bmr drag spring kit with strange single adjustable front and rear struts. 1.5 inch dropall around and will work with your setup. i ran it with 20s and a 305.30.20 on a 20x10.5 rim on the rear and running it again with a 305.35.20 on rear with 20x11 rim. struts have 10 adjustment points on the struts. i also ran without a front sway bar and the car was still fun to drive on streets. dont suggest the latter though for you. good luck...prices are way less than any coil over extravegant setup.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Are there any letters/numbers on the springs? As far as ride goes I'd look at a set of Roush springs. They offer the same drop you have but are more compliant compared to most aftermarket springs (yet still handle well) and will work with the struts/shocks you currently have. I tried different spring sets and found the Roush to be the best combination (paired with Bilstein B-6 struts/shocks) and all I've run ever since.

Max70

Reaction score
bmr drag spring kit with strange single adjustable front and rear struts. 1.5 inch dropall around and will work with your setup. i ran it with 20s and a 305.30.20 on a 20x10.5 rim on the rear and running it again with a 305.35.20 on rear with 20x11 rim. struts have 10 adjustment points on the struts. i also ran without a front sway bar and the car was still fun to drive on streets. dont suggest the latter though for you. good luck...prices are way less than any coil over extravegant setup.

I will try look for them but since I am in Europe I might not be able to find that exact brand and model. This is why I'm asking for stock car measurements so I can work out what I need so when I replace mine, the car will get the same height (not more nor less) and maybe a bit more comfortable ride.

@redfirepearlgt you mentioned only the rear wheels, but what about the front? I run on 20 x 9 on front with 255/ 35 20 and 20x10 on rear with 285/30 20. The rear is not much of a concern because the axel will go up and down and the wheels are on the inner side of the arch. But the front are exactly in line with the fender arches and I'm not sure of their movement and if the shock bounce is soft, the wheel might travel up and hit the inner fender and no one can guarantee this for me over here since Mustangs are rarely worked on here in my country.

I do not know what parts were placed on it, since someone else did it and I have no documentation of it, apart from the orange KONI struts and all I managed to find is this picture of the spring where there is some code printed, but its not that clear unless someone can identify it for me. All I can suspect is that they are hard lowering springs, because the car is low, approx 13 cms from ground and the ride is very hard (both for the low profile tires and for hard springs) and also when I try to push the car down from fender it won't even move 2 mm

@DieHarder this is what I managed to find so far, but I don't think its clear enough and to get a better picture I have to put the car on the lift.
@
285153172_10228828726526999_3697989350921001641_n.jpg

I hope I can get more information from Mustangs with STOCK suspensions and wheels, so I can compare all the data and work out what can I get from the brands I can find in my country.

P.S. shipping in parts to my country costs more than the parts themselves and getting a set of good struts and springs is already not cheap, so adding a hefty shipping cost, then tax and duty to it won't help much especially if after installing I find out they do not work.

Oliver Vigil

Reaction score
I will try look for them but since I am in Europe I might not be able to find that exact brand and model. This is why I'm asking for stock car measurements so I can work out what I need so when I replace mine, the car will get the same height (not more nor less) and maybe a bit more comfortable ride.

@redfirepearlgt you mentioned only the rear wheels, but what about the front? I run on 20 x 9 on front with 255/ 35 20 and 20x10 on rear with 285/30 20. The rear is not much of a concern because the axel will go up and down and the wheels are on the inner side of the arch. But the front are exactly in line with the fender arches and I'm not sure of their movement and if the shock bounce is soft, the wheel might travel up and hit the inner fender and no one can guarantee this for me over here since Mustangs are rarely worked on here in my country.

I do not know what parts were placed on it, since someone else did it and I have no documentation of it, apart from the orange KONI struts and all I managed to find is this picture of the spring where there is some code printed, but its not that clear unless someone can identify it for me. All I can suspect is that they are hard lowering springs, because the car is low, approx 13 cms from ground and the ride is very hard (both for the low profile tires and for hard springs) and also when I try to push the car down from fender it won't even move 2 mm

@DieHarder this is what I managed to find so far, but I don't think its clear enough and to get a better picture I have to put the car on the lift.
@
285153172_10228828726526999_3697989350921001641_n.jpg

I hope I can get more information from Mustangs with STOCK suspensions and wheels, so I can compare all the data and work out what can I get from the brands I can find in my country.

P.S. shipping in parts to my country costs more than the parts themselves and getting a set of good struts and springs is already not cheap, so adding a hefty shipping cost, then tax and duty to it won't help much especially if after installing I find out they do not work.

What brands do you have access to? I believe BC Racing ships to Europe and those will perform well for your needs.

Max70

Reaction score
What brands do you have access to? I believe BC Racing ships to Europe and those will perform well for your needs.

MTS
KW
AST

BILSTEIN
COBRA

These are some brands I know of that local shops have, maybe I can find KONI but nos sure what combination of springs I can use to keep the car low, make the ride slightly more comfortable and not having the car too bouncy so the wheels won't hit inner fenders

Oliver Vigil

Reaction score
MTS
KW
AST

BILSTEIN
COBRA

These are some brands I know of that local shops have, maybe I can find KONI but nos sure what combination of springs I can use to keep the car low, make the ride slightly more comfortable and not having the car too bouncy so the wheels won't hit inner fenders

If you can fork money out for adjustable KW coil overs I would highly recommend those. They offer decent adjustability and good ride quality.

Max70

Reaction score
If you can fork money out for adjustable KW coil overs I would highly recommend those. They offer decent adjustability and good ride quality.

I think I can afford those but the problem is that no shop is taking any responsibility if these will fit my car with the wheel configuration I have, since most of the time the suspensions / coilovers are made to be fitted with stock tires. All I get is that since Mustangs are rare to work on here, they cannot garantee any results and once they fit them on the car they cannot take them back. So I will be stuick with a set of coil overs that won't fit my car and around 1600 USD thrown away. This is why I'm trying to get as much information I can before I make the move.

Oliver Vigil

Reaction score
The coils will fit. They are adjustable and may be set to accommodate your current wheels. In my eyes this is your best option. Getting measurements from the forum in order to purchase non-adjustable suspension may result in fitment you're not in love with. The KW's will allow you to make changes for your specific needs.

Max70

Reaction score
The coils will fit. They are adjustable and may be set to accommodate your current wheels. In my eyes this is your best option. Getting measurements from the forum in order to purchase non-adjustable suspension may result in fitment you're not in love with. The KW's will allow you to make changes for your specific needs.

Do you have the particular KW part number you know will surely fit?

I also think that the setup I have are SR performance lowering springs with KONI struts, which lowers the car 1.5"

53151.jpg

53151_alt1.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back