2005-2009 Mustang GT turbo kit options and needs!!

which turbo kit??

• On 3 performance kit

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • CX racing turbo kit

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

parkerboon46

Reaction score
Hello there, I have a 2007 mustang gt with a 5spd and I'm looking to turbo the car I believe. by the summer months I am needing to beat a 2014 Audi s4 that is a 7spd PDK auto, with an intercooler, intake, and exhaust. the car is my best friend and I am thinking He'll be running mid to low 12s and potentially see a very high 11 out of his car.

Now onto the more important topics here. there are 2.5 kits I am looking at currently. I say half because the hellion turbo kit for these cars seems to no longer really exist, and it's stupidly expensive compared to its counterparts. so the 2 kits I'm really looking at are the on3 single turbo kit, and the cx racing single turbo kit.

pros and cons for both from what I'm gathering:
On3: Pros: cheaper, and can order more of the needed items all from one site at the same time (IE injectors, fuel pump, MAF kit, vacuum lines, etc) and all for pretty much the same price as the cx racing kit with slightly fewer items. no need to relocate anything under the hood.
cons: piping runs under control arms, and doesn't look amazing under the hood like the cx racing kit and the hellion kit.

the cx racing kit: Pros: looks amazing under the hood. intercooler mounting is much better. I've found slightly more instructions on the forums on installing this kit over the on3 kit.
cons: have to take off the headers to replace them, which could lead to quite a pain in my ass for those stock bolts are known to occasionally snap. need to relocate the coolant overflow and the power steering. granted the kit comes with all needed to do such but that's just more stuff to do when I'm trying to ball on a budget and take minimal time off work if possible. still need to source fuel needs. in which case I would be ordering #47 fuel injectors and most likely an off-brand boost a pump. the big kicker for the cons however would be that I've heard the oil feed and return can be a bit funky as it's a lower-mounted turbo and can make for some issues with getting the oil back out of the turbo.

Lots and lots of words so sorry about that. hopefully, some amazing people come my way to help in the journey. please give me feedback as to which kit you guys have gone with, or would go with, what your findings are, and what suggestions you have. I need help picking between, as well as potential help with the installation. I'm quite the noob when it comes to turbo cars.

BTW: I will not go with a supercharger, more money to spend more money on fuel, just not worth it to me. And for NOS, I just don't like having to fill the bottle every 10 passes down the strip.

again thank you and please help me.

whitmanink

Reaction score
i voted on3,, only because thats gonna get me to 450rwhp the quickest , theres a guy on youtube,, hes got a yellow gt with the on3 ,, so that made me like it more when i saw how it was and worked,, i dont really like the piping under the control arms,, but if i really wanted to , i could later on re-route and re-pipe,to make it more to my taste,,,

the cx is more but not really if you take into account the ele motor fans for the intrecooler and the turbo headers it comes with ,, than your pretty much on par with the on3 price,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...earch?q=s197+mustang+gt+on3+turbo&FORM=HDRSC3

Last edited by a moderator:

parkerboon46

Reaction score
Thank you for linking the video and your thoughts. I do think I agree that both kits at the end of the day with all the stuff that come together equal out to about the same. Are you planning on ordering the on 3 kit soon?
I’m trying to be more of a one and sone type with this situation and re routing the piping is not something I want to aim for in the future.

honestly I really need someone who’s installed either one of the kits that not only could help me understand which one to get but to potentially help walk me through the process of installing when it comes time to do so.

Reaction score
Good luck with the goal, i think its doable depending on what bolt ons your buddy runs- 2 things i will point out - on stock block you cant go above 450 torque level or you are really risking to send your rod out of the block, second - your rear suspension setup including gears and wheel/tire really does matter if you trying to hook because s4 will not have that issues since AWD. Boosted on 450 level with proper setup you can expect high 11s with proper launch and cool air if you are not quadrillion ft above the sea level but then your buddy will have similar issue. He cant really screw it up with AWD and Auto, but s4s are heavy pigs at around 3900 lbs, for you - proper shift, good launch and foremost get a tune post the setup from someone reputable - i recommend Lito.

For the setup, im procharged so i cant vouch for turbo kits, but i will suggest few thigs - first go with one step colder plugs from brisk, if possible to go ethanol do that, cause detonation kills rods , dont spend money on unnecessary mods like fancy fuel rails, you dont need that, go with
Ford Racing M-9593-LU47 47 injectors - plenty enough, stock maf will be enough for that power level - good luck keep us updated!

parkerboon46

Reaction score
Thank you Andrey. Currently I have bmr real lower and upper control arms done with poly bushings, and 275’s in the rear. Stage 1 exedy clutch and a lightened steel flywheel. Should have no problem hooking up with boost because I can’t seem to loose traction unless it’s wet now. Only aiming for 5-7 lbs of boost. mans thank you very much.

what is the supercharger set up you have? Do you daily your stang?

Reaction score
Thank you Andrey. Currently I have bmr real lower and upper control arms done with poly bushings, and 275’s in the rear. Stage 1 exedy clutch and a lightened steel flywheel. Should have no problem hooking up with boost because I can’t seem to loose traction unless it’s wet now. Only aiming for 5-7 lbs of boost. mans thank you very much.

I used to daily it for 2 years until first motor decided to spin the bearing (i bought the car knowing that the motor was not in the best shape and price accommodated that) , then i chose a 'wrong shop' to put the new motor in and they screwed up with timing install big time, so right now im getting everything fixed in the performance shop and it should be back on the road early next week, post will come

I have P1SC prochager stage 2 kit with intercooler, stock 10 lbs pulley

Yeah if those are some good tires like MPS 4s or Mickeys street - you should be good - i have 305s on the rear, never have issues with traction when dry, but its built for spirited driving and track and not drag - i have whiteline sway bars with endlinks front and back, bmr upper with bracket, lower controls, panhard and bmr springs over koni oranges

parkerboon46

Reaction score
How is that pro charger treated you? I’ve found a few used models that would need an extra 1k for the extra parts but would most likely be an easiest install I think. Just trying to see how well it did for the daily driving aspect, sense this car is my daily and originally why I wanted to go turbo.
Planning on sticking with my 3.55 gears in the rear sense I do lots of highway drives, once every other I do 1,000 miles in a day so the longer gears are very needed. Anyway sorry to stray off topic but yeah how was the daily driving aspect of that pro charger kit?

AHaze

Reaction score
With the upgrades you listed on the S4, I would assume it also has blower pulleys and a tune. If so, you're going to need more than a 275 street tire out back. Maxing out the stock 3V short block should get you a slightly better trap speed than your friend but those Audis cut 1.6X 60 foot times.

parkerboon46

Reaction score
Thankfully no new pulley on his s4, just the tune. I think the 275’s will hold up decently on a prepped surface with a slightly lower rpm launch. Sense I won’t have 2 step or launch control I won’t really be building any boost until after I’m actually on the throttle.

plus as long as I can pull on him decently enough to catch him after the launch I should be set. No need to try to win the 60ft when it will take as much money as a turbo or supercharger kit to do that

Thank you for more help. You guys are great.

Reaction score
How is that pro charger treated you? I’ve found a few used models that would need an extra 1k for the extra parts but would most likely be an easiest install I think. Just trying to see how well it did for the daily driving aspect, sense this car is my daily and originally why I wanted to go turbo.
Planning on sticking with my 3.55 gears in the rear sense I do lots of highway drives, once every other I do 1,000 miles in a day so the longer gears are very needed. Anyway sorry to stray off topic but yeah how was the daily driving aspect of that pro charger kit?

Very daily friendly setup, the way procharger works is somewhat similar to turbo excepts its belt driven, you dont see max psi until you at 5500-6k rpm range - it is not trying to kill you in low rpms and feels like a stock car at 1500-2k range regular driving

parkerboon46

Reaction score
That’s good to know.

I’ve been talking with a close friend of mine that has a turbo z31 300zx that he built in his garage with no kit and he is thinking to either go with the cx racing kit, or order some turbo headers and get the rest of the parts including turbo separate and made it all work nicely. We will see how it goes and I’ll keep the forums posted. As well as links to the YouTube videos I plan to post with this

JC SSP

Reaction score

Hi, do you have any pics of your car? Also, what's your budget?

I will tell you as someone that has a boosted Audi you better get the jump because catching him will be difficult! Have you raced you buddy before?

parkerboon46

Reaction score
I have pictures of the car I’ll upload later today to give you an idea. I’ve raced him before and before he got his intercooler as long as I had the jump I could normally stay infront of him. I’ll post pics of his car as well later on.

parkerboon46

Reaction score
Sorry I skipped over the budget part of your message JC SSP, is as cheap as I can go without cutting stupid corners. under 4k is the number but the closer to 3 I get the happier of a man I am.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
I have the On3 kit but haven’t installed it yet so I can’t vote I guess. The only advice I can give is if you do go On3 don’t order it straight from On3. The guy that answers the phone there is a %*^%!!!! The instructions that come with it SUUUUUUCK!!….but there’s a few vids on YouTube that are very helpful. I was definitely scared of the install until I found those vids. The biggest concern for my On3 build is fitment but I’m hoping to skate passed that with the new BMR k member

parkerboon46

Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger. Bought the cx racing kit. considering the extra parts that come with it and the slightly better build quality it was worth it to me. along with the complete/ full kit from cx racing here is the list of things I have come up with that will be needing to be ordered.

Ford Performance EV6 High Flow Fuel Injectors; 47 lb.
SR Performance O2 Sensor Extension Kit; Pair
JMS Slot MAF Extension Harness; Plug-N-Play
these 3 items I found on American muscle for those in the future that want this kit.
the next items are from all over the place:
AEM Wideband UEGO Air Fuel Ratio Gauge (30-4110)
this is from mapperfornace .com
PMAS HPX Extended Range Slot Style MAF Sensor
this MAF is from lethal performance and was picked based on the recommendation of my tuner. My tuner is well known as the man himself Lito. he's tuned a few mustangs on the setup I'm going for and I'm pretty confident in his abilities.
The price for the new tune will be $300 dollars sense I've already had him tune my mustang before. If you were to go in without having ordered a tune previously it would cost $400

Ill keep you guys posted.

parkerboon46

Reaction score
Also gonna be starting a new thread as this one was more based on which way to go and want to keep things organized. it'll be under "cx racing kit 2007 mustang gt"

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back