***Help Needed - Brake Lockup***

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Hopefully there won't be a next time but if there is I'll be ready! Best $14 ever spent...needle nose were a PITA
ha, i bought one of those "knuckle busters". then i went to harbor freight and bought the caliper kit. it has a great tool for effortless turning and pushing in one easy step. about $28 (my rubic brake cube is for sale cheap!!)

Last edited:

Fallenauthority

Reaction score

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-disc-brake-pad-and-caliper-service-tool-kit-97143.html

This one? Been on my wishlist for a bit, and I have been meaning to buy it for work, might scoop it up soon

yep, thats the kit only bigger than the one i got a few years ago. mine only has one of those turning tools and all the disks. i think ive seen someone else say the kit got bigger and it bit more expensive, but man its a great tool.

we have my 05 and a 06 and ive used it a bunch of times already and its paid for itself. the cool part about it is you dont have to be actually pushing on the caliper like the cube. you just turn the c clamp type handle and it does the work. :clap:

note: i dont recommend buying many tools from there, but this is one that as much as you use it, for the money, its a great tool

Last edited:

08torchred

Reaction score
Yeah that one for sure looks like a better setup. It is hell trying to keep the other one on the piston

NinjaKiwi84

forum member
Reaction score
My wife wasn't home when I decided to do my brakes this weekend. Well, after I took everything apart I found out we had the twist rears... and didn't have the tool. I ended up getting my Dremmel out and after grinding down a socket I was able to make my own tool. It worked, but was a PITA.

I found out Advance Auto Parts rents the tools for free... you just put a deposit down. It is def worth the trip for the tool in the future.

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
I just picked up a full set of cables from krang00. Gonna go ahead and spray some white grease in there just to be safe before I install them. I've been leaving the ebrake down and putting the car in first ever since this has happened and I've yet to have another problem. I tried pulling on the ebrake a few days ago when it was around 10 degrees out and it had frozen up...good thing it was down and not pulled up.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
I always park my car in reverse (Just a habit from a Saab I had a few years ago). I had been setting the hand brake as well since I park on a hill. Sure enough it froze up twice this past week.

Last time was really hard to get unstuck, I worked on the handle and pumped the brakes and got it about 75% unstuck, then drove about a 1/2 mile while pulling the handle and got it fully unstuck.

Now I use a brick + reverse gear.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
I always park my car in reverse (Just a habit from a Saab I had a few years ago). I had been setting the hand brake as well since I park on a hill. Sure enough it froze up twice this past week.

Last time was really hard to get unstuck, I worked on the handle and pumped the brakes and got it about 75% unstuck, then drove about a 1/2 mile while pulling the handle and got it fully unstuck.

Now I use a brick + reverse gear.
having a e brake is a nice feature. if you replace the rear cables, it will function like it should and you can ditch the brick :clap:

5.0H

forum member
Reaction score
cables are in and all greased up! Should be good to go. To be safe I'm going to continue to leave the brake down in the cold weather and leave it in gear.

When I took the passenger rear cable off, I let it hang down from the caliper and sure enough water started POURING out of it....WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back