Help!!!!

darkhorse05

forum member
Reaction score
Back story on the car
2005 gt 4.6 3v 5spd car had to replace cam phaser used a replacement from o Reilly's ( bad idea) it broke the pin that locates it on the cam and spun on the cam, there for causing 4 broken rocker arms. Installed comp mutha thumper cams ,2 new oem phasers with limiters, ford racing rocker arms and lifters , and a new timing set, and install a bama tune , and now the car will idle ok but under load it bucks and is running rich and I can't figure out what is going on. I have had bama revise my tunes once already and is still running rich.

Grubb

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ I agree with this but if you are going to continue with Bama datalog the car and send them the file so they can see what is wrong. If you want to take a leap in a better direction contact Lito on here and have him data/tune it for you. It will be much different. I had bama tunes 4 life and Lito's tune made my a whole new car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkhorse05

forum member
Reaction score
How much does Lito charge and how quick are the turnarounds? I need to have the car good o go by friday

darkhorse05

forum member
Reaction score
Well this is the first time actually dealin with it like this so I'm kinda lost, I've never used a handheld before now

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Back story on the car
2005 gt 4.6 3v 5spd car had to replace cam phaser used a replacement from o Reilly's ( bad idea) it broke the pin that locates it on the cam and spun on the cam, there for causing 4 broken rocker arms. Installed comp mutha thumper cams ,2 new oem phasers with limiters, ford racing rocker arms and lifters , and a new timing set, and install a bama tune , and now the car will idle ok but under load it bucks and is running rich and I can't figure out what is going on. I have had bama revise my tunes once already and is still running rich.

Justin,

Something you might want to consider.
You don't have listed where you are located in your signature or profile.
If you happen to be within normal driving time to a Performance Shop take it to them.
Give that shop a call and schedule an appointment and let the guys that do that sort of thing for a living give it a go.
It might very well end up saving you dollars in the end.

Terry

Last edited:

darkhorse05

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in Knoxville to, and there's not any reputable performance shops that do any tuning near me

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm in Knoxville to, and there's not any reputable performance shops that do any tuning near me
Justin,

This might not be any help to you.
But there is a High-End performance shop like 30-minutes from my house here in Franklin, TN.

I have went by and got a full tour of it not long ago.
They work on some very high-end-rides.

I have not personally used them but thought it was going by and checking them out in person.

One of the guy's on S-197 has used them with positive results.

Below is the link to them.

It will be a drive but maybe it's worth it.

https://www.dbrhighperformance.com/index.php

Welcome To DBR High Performance

DBR-9403.jpg

From Classics to Exotics DBR High
Performance has the expertise to bring
you the best solutions and equipment
for increasing performance at the best
prices.

We believe that "There's no such thing
as too fast!" which is why it is our
promise that we will bring you the absolute best performance equipment
available in the industry.

Whether you are looking for drive trains, gaskets, ignitions, brakes, or even
collectable and apparel, we have everything you need to quench you need

for speed. With our quality assured products and pricing, we strive to

provide each of our customers the performance products that they demand

at prices that won’t break the bank.

Owned and operated by David Branson, DBR High Performance was founded

on the principals of honesty and integrity. We believe in providing our

customers a shopping experience that is both rewarding and pleasant.

Good-Luck,
Terry

85GT 7.0

Reaction score
running rough

I am new to mod motors but if the phaser spun and the cam got out of time I think it is possible that you had piston to valve contact which broke the followers. Check the compression on the cylinders that had broken followers and compare them to the other cylinders.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a passenger side phaser come apart on mine and I had to replace all the valves and pistons, as well as the rockers, on that side. Mine happened while making a pass, so I imagine yours wasn't as bad but you could still have some bent valves from piston contact.

darkhorse05

forum member
Reaction score
Nope I checked everything and it's all fine bore scoped cylinders and all

85GT 7.0

Reaction score
Valves

You could see the valves with the bore scope? Did you do a leak down test? It's possible the valves are bent just enough to not seal completly. They were under a lot of pressure to break the followers...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back