High flow H pipe with cats?

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's a good choice for a high performance H or X that still keeps the cats? Shorty headers aren't suppose to be worth more than about 5 HP and I don't want to lose the cats and go with long tubes.

I'm currently running the FRPP X pipe and the FRPP GTA mufflers.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen a hi-flow catted H-pipe that bolts up to the stock manifolds.

You have some choices with an X-pipe: Bassani and SLP are the ones that come to mind. You could get a Prochamber or a Magnaflow X-pipe to bolt up to your stock cats, but then you'd need to do some cutting.

MattP343

forum member
Reaction score
The only one that has HiFlo cats is the MRT H pipe..It will bolt up to stock manifolds but it is a tad pricey

MattP343

forum member
Reaction score
If you're asking me which I perfer, its really all up in the air...I personally LOVED my exhaust (Bassani X and Stingers) but I also LOVED my friends O/R H and Pypes Mid-Muffler - So I can really be swayed either direction.

There was NO trumpeting with the HiFlo cats on, but I would bet if I threw the race pipes on there would be slight trumpets in the lower RPMs at 1/2+ throttle. You can check out my exhaust clip if you want to get a better idea...Here is Bassani X with Cats and FRPP Stingers - Im selling the X because Im going to go with Longtubes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3htFQg9bU

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
[Don_W mode]

Don't even think about hi flow cats, never again

[/Don_W mode]

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, John at ST called me today---one of the high flow dynatech cats was starting to degrade and come apart. A piece 1/4 inch in size already came apart on one of them. I know just last month when I took out the trans, I specifically looked at the cats at that time and everything looked ok. But since then I have made a few passes at 13psi with a more aggressive tune and some dyno passes on 16psi.

So I had John just hollow them out, and that is where I am going to run the wideband with the rear 02 sensors turned off in the tune.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Holy shit!! :shock: I'm glad they caught that Paul... that could have been disastrous! Dynatechs are the frikkin worst POS cats ever!:tdown:

But, I still have two brand new ones in the garage if anyone wants them. Make me an offer. hahah

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess on the bright side I can run c16 if I want---but the unleaded 109 should be good.

I hope the car is not too loud, I like the sleeper aspect of the car. At least I won't be worried about the cats coming apart anymore.

MattP343

forum member
Reaction score
Haha Its funny to hear 109 and C16 race gas go hand in hand with the term 'sleeper'...Its not too common

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess on the bright side I can run c16 if I want---but the unleaded 109 should be good.

I hope the car is not too loud, I like the sleeper aspect of the car. At least I won't be worried about the cats coming apart anymore.
Without resonators or something put in there to compensate for the missing cats - its pretty loud... no sleeping to be had...

Jon_Purdy

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have the Magnaflow Tru-X setup? If so, what do you think of it? It's on my wish list but would like to hear more about it first.

Jon

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
install some resonators after the midpipe and trumpeting is solved and you can run them with no cats

MattP343

forum member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if running the pypes midmuffler system with an O/R Pipe will cure trumpeting?

TexStang

Reaction score
for the most part yes, it will. One of my buddies here in town is just running resonators in the same position as the mid-muffler system, and it sounds pretty nice and doesn't trumpet

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back